Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My review: K-7500 Drum vs. K-60 Sectional

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    Rick, you may be a better plumber than me, but I could teach you a thing or two about salesmanship.
    last time i checked, my customers called a plumber, not a used car salesman

maybe that's why i don't spend a dime on advertising

it's not all about money.
    it's about why i love to go to work 6 days a week and have invested 3/4 of my life to this career.
    if it was about money, i would have retired years ago

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      it's not all about money.
      it's about why i love to go to work 6 days a week and have invested 3/4 of my life to this career.
      I love plumbing too, but I wouldn't do it for free.
      Selling code-required upgrades does a great service for the customer and makes me money at the same time. My customers are happy that I present them with all the options. I am never pushy, I just offer good solutions and let the customer make all the decisions.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

you can say it anyway you want but I say it this way and you can call me a used car salesman all you want.

All Clear Sewer is committed to the safety and well being of both our staff and our customers!

You can get on the roof or you can open a Clean-Out in the basement but I think the crap should stay in the sewer myself.
        Does the words "Mold or Disease" mean any thing to you????
        Does me
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

are we talking "licensed" used car sales

knowing the codes and knowing right from wrong separates us all.

what amazes me is all the talk about codes and requirements. yet having the required state license of your own is still lacking last time we asked

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            I love plumbing too, but I wouldn't do it for free.
            Selling code-required upgrades does a great service for the customer and makes me money at the same time. My customers are happy that I present them with all the options. I am never pushy, I just offer good solutions and let the customer make all the decisions.

I would be careful if you are telling your customer the above ground cleanouts are code required. Above ground cleanouts are code required for current construction but does not apply to grandfathered in systems. Perhaps better terminology would be "above ground cleanouts are now required by code". In my book that is still a stretch unless you add the word current construction but it is better than saying it is required when it may not be.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, in my city the code-enforcement want everything to be brought up to modern code whenever possible. They don't like to 'grandfather' in anything hardly. If something in an older home is not up to modern code, I point it out. Old homes or not, the modern codes exist for a reason.
              I don't push it on anyone, but I point out the fact that modern code requires a cleanout and I explain the reasoning behind it.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I would be careful if you are telling your customer the above ground cleanouts are code required. Above ground cleanouts are code required for current construction but does not apply to grandfathered in systems. Perhaps better terminology would be "above ground cleanouts are now required by code". In my book that is still a stretch unless you add the word current construction but it is better than saying it is required when it may not be.

Mark
                I will agree to a certain point with Carl. Some wouldn't believe what they "require" when we get the inspection dept. involved here. I'm doing a remodel right now where I've rerouted about 20% of the water lines at the end of their run. They are still in the same area they have been for 17+ years.

The inspector is trying to get me to insulate ALL water lines. Even the ones that have been untouched. They are overhead in a garage without a ceiling so if it was all installed new it would have to be insulated even though that it is obviously proven that you won't have a freezing or condensation issue with 17+ years to back it up.

In short, if you even touch anything they try to bring it ALL up to current code. See it all the time. So if you go and bid something with the inspection department involved, you could easily end up working for nothing.

Now...who wants to work here in NC with me, Carl, and the NCDOI???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  are we talking "licensed" used car sales

knowing the codes and knowing right from wrong separates us all.

what amazes me is all the talk about codes and requirements. yet having the required state license of your own is still lacking last time we asked

rick.
                  Like I said before, I see allot of licensed hacks. I`m in no way call you a hack but your state license means nothing to someone thats out in the field. Anyone can get a license but that dosen`t mean they know what they are doing
                  Master plumber code is to protect the health and well being of others

Now where is that post showing your "Master Block license" at the age of 18?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I will agree to a certain point with Carl. Some wouldn't believe what they "require" when we get the inspection dept. involved here. I'm doing a remodel right now where I've rerouted about 20% of the water lines at the end of their run. They are still in the same area they have been for 17+ years.

The inspector is trying to get me to insulate ALL water lines. Even the ones that have been untouched. They are overhead in a garage without a ceiling so if it was all installed new it would have to be insulated even though that it is obviously proven that you won't have a freezing or condensation issue with 17+ years to back it up.

In short, if you even touch anything they try to bring it ALL up to current code. See it all the time. So if you go and bid something with the inspection department involved, you could easily end up working for nothing.

Now...who wants to work here in NC with me, Carl, and the NCDOI???

J.C.
                    That`s the way it works around here also. I see it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Like I said before, I see allot of licensed hacks. I`m in no way call you a hack but your state license means nothing to someone thats out in the field. Anyone can get a license but that dosen`t mean they know what they are doing

I've seen licensed people that are pretty "unknowledgeable" also.

I'm working on a licensed GC's house right now. Things have slowed somewhat so he's not very busy. There are some framing things that have to be done. Tubs & showers framed etc. He tells me the carpenters will be here tomorrow. WTF???

A GC without basic carpentry skills?

People doing work where the required license is necessary should have or get that license.

But it is not the best measure for the quality of their work.

Heck, I've seen some licensed people even use a cross contaminated plunger in a sink!

J.C.

Comment

union licensed apprentice at 18.

city of los angeles licensed journeyman plumber at 21.
                        missed 2 on the testfinished 1'st

state of california licensed plumbing contractor at 34
                        2 part computer test no ranking if passed did finish 1'st

so as you can see, it was a long process. not a quick run to the city and take a test.
                        it's never too late to learn and pass a test

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Heck, I've seen some licensed people even use a cross contaminated plunger in a sink!

J.C.
                          I love it

Comment

I believe if a licensed plumber has done "hack work", they know better but either they were in a hurry, backed up with work and/or just trying to save the customer money by doing it cheap, etc. I'm not saying it's right but a license shows that you have the required knowledge and hours of plumbing under your belt. What someone wants to do with that knowledge and how they practice it is another thing.
                            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

In short, if you even touch anything they try to bring it ALL up to current code.
                              That sucks. I could see many $5k-$10k jobs just to vent a little S trap on a lav sink in an old house with that "rule".
                              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I would have been 1st. across the finish line in our 5th. grade field games but stupid Shoshana Wasserstein bumped into me and I tripped

Not sure why that just popped into my head

Comment

Working...
                                X