X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review: K-7500 Drum vs. K-60 Sectional

Ok, so I broke my new K-7500 in and I am really impressed. There are pros and cons to each.

Drum Pros
    Clean:
    all the cable except a few inches is contained in the drum. A sectional is using all exposed, separate cables. It can be a mess.
    Quick: The auto-feed and not dealing with cable sections is way faster than a sectional, which has to be assembled and dis-assembled section by section.
    Easy: Like steve, and others, I like sitting on a bucket and using the auto-feed while I clean sewers. A sectional is way too laborious.

Drum Cons
    Not as portable:
    A sectional is transported in sections of equipment, and one man can easily move the equipment around just about anywhere. A drum is one big, heavy piece of equipment and moving it around is a bit of a chore. A sectional can be used on roofs, crawlspaces, etc. A drum is limited to normal cleanout access near the floor.
    Not as safe: A sectional is clutch-driven and the cables are more flexible. Thus the cables rarely break, and if there is a lot of torque, releasing the clutch instantly stops the cable from spinning. With a drum, the cable is very stiff, which allows enormous torque to build. This is great for breaking stoppages, but can be dangerous. If the cable is wound to tight, it will twist or snap or jump out of the cleanout. Once the drum switch is stopped, the drum keeps spinning due to momentum and cannot be stopped. Thus with a sewer-drum, the user has to be very cautious not to allow too much torque to build.

Tied
    Powerful:
    The K-7500 with 3/4" innercore cable has enormous torque and can rip out roots and other blockages easily. My K-60 is not as powerful, but I am sure its big brother, the k-1500 sectional is. The K-7500 can cleans drains up to 10"...not the K-60. But since the K-1500 is readily available, this one is a tie. Both drums and sectionals can plenty powerful.
    Overall I prefer the K-7500. The cons can be remedied using safety guidelines. Using a ramp or lift to transport the drum on and off the truck saves the back. Using caution and 'listening' to the motor, allows one to never build a dangerous amount of torque on the cable. If there isn't safe and normal cleanout access, one can always pull a toilet and/or install a proper code-required main-cleanout access.

So anyway, my K-60 sectional may end up going on sale. my small (k-39), medium (k-380) and large (k-7500) machines of choice now are all drums. I am now officially a drum guy.

See you at next year's roundup.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: My review: K-7500 Drum vs. K-60 Sectional

ALL OF THE ABOVE REASONS ARE WHY I THINK DRUMS ARE BEST STYLE OF DRAIN CLEANERS

JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Rick is going to be devestated, I hope your happy Carl.
      The Other Rick

Comment

Gonna make a lot of money puting in cleanouts.

Comment

Rick will be at your place any time now to "rescue" your K-60.....

"All across America, there K-60's that are unloved, unworked, and waiting to be welcomed into a family that will love and cherish them......"

I don't want to hear that your K-60 is on the street corner begging for change for the "cable enlargement"........
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

you got 1 drain under your belt with the 7500 and you're writing off the k-60

i had my k-60 riding shotgun for a few months before i decided to dump the 7500 and keep the k-60 on board.

smartest drain cleaning move i've made.

i would not base your decision on 1 drain, but a good variety of different drains. you'll be sorry when the 7500 is not the proper choice and the 60 is sitting at home

do yourself a favor and keep them on board for a solid month or more. then get back with us

i can be wrong

but i doubt all us k-60 users are

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I've got plenty of experience with both drums and sectionals. But I have only had my own business and thus my own machines for a short time. Working for someone else, I never had a choice. I started at a K-60 sectional shop for years, I also worked a few years at a K-6200 drum shop.

But you are right, I should probably keep the K-60 for those difficult-access jobs. But overall, the drums will be getting the most jobs.

Comment

As a tradesman I think it would be a mistake to sell any tool you may need again some day. The depreciated value of a used snake is not great unless you are trying to replace one you just sold.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Of course I am not really selling my K-60, that was just a bad joke to get a rise out of rick. The k-60 is an awesome tool, and I am of course a tool fanatic like most of us here at this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                    Rick will be at your place any time now to "rescue" your K-60.....

"All across America, there K-60's that are unloved, unworked, and waiting to be welcomed into a family that will love and cherish them......"

I don't want to hear that your K-60 is on the street corner begging for change for the "cable enlargement"........
                    are rick and joey kind of like brad and angelina except with orphan tools? rickjoey doesnt sound as catchy as brangelina
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                      are rick and joey kind of like brad and angelina except with orphan tools? rickjoey doesnt sound as catchy as brangelina
                      You think that "JOERICKY" may have that special ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        That's because it would be pronounced JOCKY!

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I like my big drum seems to make the job seem easier in my mind while going to the job. But small crawl spaces,roofs or just small jobs that don't need 100ft plus of cable to do are prime examples of why I keep the k60 around so I can do whatever is needed with no excuses.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            As a tradesman I think it would be a mistake to sell any tool you may need again some day. The depreciated value of a used snake is not great unless you are trying to replace one you just sold.

Mark
                            Pay no mind to the ridgid closet auger lover. Get rid of that K60 as fast as you can. Space is the most valuable thing on your truck so you can stock more kohler parts. I will make the sacrifice and buy the k60 off you. I wouldn't do this for anyone, mind you, but you're a good guy.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              thats got a good ring to it i can see them on the front of cleaner magazine with there 7 orphan k-60's. must be a LA thing?
                              Mike
                              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                              X