X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 ?

Does the cable on a k-60 feed forward when the clutch lever is pressed down? It maybe a dumb ? but i'm not familure with this machine

Re: k-60 ?

Mines older, but I think they are all the same.

No. The clutch lever makes the cable rotate only. There is no auto-feed. Let off the clutch, pull a little cable out so you have some slack to push in the drain, engage clutch so it rotates and feed in the slack, then repeat.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Alex is right. It doesnt feed the cable. Only turns it. You manually push feed the cable out. When you get to a blockage you put a slight bend in the cable to load it while it is spinning to push through the blockage.

Im sure Rick will jump in and explain the technique better than I can. Im not a drain guy

Comment

Josh, regarding your call for quicklinks suggestions on another thread, maybe we should have a K-60 quicklink to a K-60 chatroom.

Rick could be the moderator/swami/milkshake maker/etc......
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Why is it not self feeding?
          I've never used a K-60 and have always assumed it was self feeding. Is it an advantage/disadvantage that it's not self feeding?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The jaws grab the cable making it spin so it cannot feed.

I was wondering if they could have some sort of ball bearing jaws on angle to make it feed/retract. Always thinking of crazy ways to improve.

J.C.

Comment

naw, flip the switch on, and the motor runs, but the cable doesn't do a thing.

push the lever, and the clutch bites the cable and spins it, and holds it so it can't move axially in the machine. you let off the lever so it stops turning and is free to move in the machine, pull a little bit of a loop to work with, then push the lever and start it spinning again, then push the loop into the line.

as to advantages/disadvantages, i don't really know.... its just the way you do it. I don't use auto feed on my drums either as I can shove or haul in cable by hand so much faster.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have a General "rodrunner" its self feeding. I've always thought of it like a giant K-60. TOO big in fact. I've only used it twice.
                I wouldn't think it would be too hard to make the K-60 self feeding
                But would self feeding be an advantage
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  naw, flip the switch on, and the motor runs, but the cable doesn't do a thing.

push the lever, and the clutch bites the cable and spins it, and holds it so it can't move axially in the machine. you let off the lever so it stops turning and is free to move in the machine, pull a little bit of a loop to work with, then push the lever and start it spinning again, then push the loop into the line.

as to advantages/disadvantages, i don't really know.... its just the way you do it. I don't use auto feed on my drums either as I can shove or haul in cable by hand so much faster.

I would assume having "little bit of a loop to work with" gives you a feel for what the cutter is cutting/doing????

Comment

Probably not. Power retraction would be very handy in my opinion. Although you put the open wind cable against the lip of something and it's as good as power retraction.

J.C.

Comment

as it's already been mentioned. the handle just engages the clutch to squeeze the cable and spin. when released, it stops spinning the cable.

the open wind by nature will feed pretty easy when the it's against a fitting or edge of pipe.

the cable being pretty flexible is fast and simple to feed.

cutting is done with high speed (625rpm) and not necessarily with brute force.

with experience, you can feed and retrieve cable just as fast or faster than with an auto feeder (21 feet per minute).

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

It's not as bad as it sounds. The thing is, while the cable is loose in the machine with the lever lifted, you lift up on the exposed cable and then push the lever down. It freely slides out of the machine while the lever's up.

When pulling it out of the drain, you run the cable (forward) and pull up on it, pulling it back, then lift the handle and it slides back into the guide hose (assuming you're using the guide hose).

It works quickly and easily, and the trick is not to have enough cable between the machine and the drain to wrap around your arm.

If the cable is moving freely in the pipe, you can advance it by simply pushing it through the pipe, without the drag of being wound in a drum hindering you and wearing out your shoulders.

Comment

For the record,

exactly what josh stated about the raised loop.

All the years I ran sectionals, I would piece it 2 sections together, push it into the drain until I hit the stoppage, adding more when I needed it and didn't use the machine until I was at the spot that needed to be cleaned.

I despised having a full section outside the machine, just to move 2,3,5 foot into the drain, having to watch the cable wander across the ground while it was rotating furiously.

I tried to grow a 3rd hand when I needed the ability to 2-hand the cable and make it turn at the same time.

Damn I need to take pain medication after posting this, my body hurts just thinking about my early years of drain cleaning.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                            I tried to grow a 3rd hand when I needed the ability to 2-hand the cable and make it turn at the same time.

Damn I need to take pain medication after posting this, my body hurts just thinking about my early years of drain cleaning.
                            Thats why I run Drum machines, I only have 2 hands
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Once you are in the line a turn or so it does feed out like Rick said, when I use mine it almost seems like it has power feed out, but I have to manually bring it back. I hate back
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X