X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 machine broken..help!!

My 15 year old k-60 just quit today..AAHHH Dont get much for $1200 in 1994 I guess.. anyway it just sat there and hummed today (in front of customer of course) wouldnt go back or forth klever up or down..then it just stopped altogether making noise..Can anyone help me with fixing this myself?? Any ideas?? Anything but another $1300 bill with feeding a family of 6!! thanx in advance..grpt@cox.net

Re: K-60 machine broken..help!!

Plumber Rick's healing hands and words will soon be here to help resolve the matter quickly.

My uneducated guess would be electrical, possibly the capacitor is not engaging the motor to spin?

Plug it back in and see if it hums, then see if clamping down on the cable and turning it kicks the motor spinning.

If it starts working, bad capacitor.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

not sure what the temperature was today where you are? But I on many occasions have put a wet k 60 into the truck and then the next day it won't spin until it warms up

Comment

could the brushes on the motor be worn out?

Comment

When the k-60 sits a while the clutch gets rusty and it can lock up. Just take the front off and wd40 it up. Remove the belt and turn it on to prove this. But now the reset button needs to be pushed since you let it run while it was seized. This is all on the new model but the old probably has the same or near same system.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Broken belt? We use marine waterproof grease in ours after it locked up once. Never had a problem since.

Comment

Throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                When the k-60 sits a while the clutch gets rusty and it can lock up. Just take the front off and wd40 it up. Remove the belt and turn it on to prove this. But now the reset button needs to be pushed since you let it run while it was seized. This is all on the new model but the old probably has the same or near same system.
                i found it to be the main bearings were getting wet. but pretty much the same remedy as what cuda has mentioned.

first off, is it the older suitcase style or newer k-60sp?

15 years old would be just about the start of the new model

you need to take the plastic case off and see if the motor and shaft turn. chances are that it's seized and the motor tripped the overload. you need to make sure everything is spinning freely.

if you need a parts break down. give us the model# and we'll post the link.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Wow..great tips guys thanks!! Its the older suitcase model..Ya no it was in my outside tool shed in New England winters ..and it doesnt get much use ,but im going to try a few of everyones suggestions as it takes 4 or 5 jobs just to pay one of these things off..ahh

Comment

Working...
                  X