X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 myth buster

so today i get a call from a new customer with a main stoppage.

she had her old company there yesterday to attempt to clear a 4''-6'' main line stoppage.

6 months ago she spent $1800. with them on a repair prior to the 4'' patio floor clean out. yesterday they claim they can't get through the new problem area and bill her $250. along with an estimate to dig up in here driveway/ garage approach at the alley. she was surprised that they ran a camera, no tape/dvd and discovered 2 problem areas. yet they couldn't get their snake through 6 months ago and $1800 later she was under the impression that the only issue was resolved.

today i show up. she walks me to the 4'' c/o. explains all the b/s she was told. i tell her that i'll spend up to 1 hour and bill her weather i clear it or not.

k-60 with 15' leader of innercore and 3'' spiral root saw. shove it into the 4'' line and fill it up with water to standing level. 5 minutes later and 65' in, she was flowing. pull back approx. 5' of ficus roots. rerun with 3''x 4'' cutter and continue to 73' of the 75' section. pulled back the rest of the ball of roots.

amazing what a k-60 can do when you try. also i was $90 less and solved her immediate stoppage. she has a 14 year track record there and this is the first time she had a main line stoppage.

told her to call the other company and get her $250 back. they spent less than 5 minutes snaking and the rest of the time trying to sell her a sewer repair. plus their open drum machine left a large rust streak on the concrete.

k-60, myth buster.

rick.

the first pass after a 5 minute run with the 3'' spiral root saw at 65' in.

my second pass with the 3'' x 4'' cutter.

notice the rust stained concrete from their open drum they left behind
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-20-2009, 01:31 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: k-60 myth buster

Hey Rick, could you explain the reason for 15' innercore leader. Thanks!

wookie(rookie k-60 owner)

Comment

Nice one Rick. It's always fun to suceed where another company failed. I will say I think it was the operator and his intent to solve the problem rather than to upsell an unneeded dig that made the difference, not choice of machine.

Alex (rookie k-60 owner, and likely to stay that way; its buried somewhere at the back of the shop lol)
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
        Hey Rick, could you explain the reason for 15' innercore leader. Thanks!

wookie(rookie k-60 owner)
        the innercore leader/ first section is rated for 6'' pipe. the line is a 4'' then goes 6'' for the last 10' in the alley.

i've been running innercore for about a year now. it keeps the cable stiffer and prevents any chance of a flip over. you could run all innercore, but the price is steep and the cable is all the same wire. just the plastic type filler inside the wound cable that fills the void.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

What the heck are you doing posting at 2:10 AM?

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What the heck are you doing posting at 3:18 am?
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Nice job Rick but that root ball is fairly mature. They will still need a sewer repair in the future

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Nice job Rick but that root ball is fairly mature. They will still need a sewer repair in the future
                bill, the point of this was that she has lived there 14 years with no track record. she had them out 6 months prior and spent $1800 on a repair prior to the c/o. they made no reference to any other issues until the other day when they couldn't get through and still billed her $250 and a huge estimate for repairs.

my first pass took 5 minutes of work to pull out the long string of roots.

that was what my point was all about.

by the way, i can put my camera in just about any line in the neighborhood and see similar roots. including my own house

never had a stoppage there and i snake it once every few years when i'm testing new toys

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, thanks. So far my experiece is in 4" residential. Twice now I've had real restricted 4" lines, what seemed to be rock like protrusions attached to sides and top of ci pipe. Had difficulty running a cutter of any size. Took a 3" sharktooth and cut one side off, had to really work the cable back and forth, blade getting stuck every 1-2' worked out ok the open wound cable always " sprung" back and freed itself. I LOVE the instant release clutch on the k-60!

Would a innercore leader be helpful/ safer in these situations? Just thinking out loud.

wookie

Comment

Our prices are similar for sewer lines, I'm $10 less.

The national chains are getting 220 and sky's the limit for a drain call here. Sewers even higher.

Thought you guys would be a lot more expensive in California.

Nice job with the roots, and saving the day! Sounds like you've won a customer for a lifetime.

I'm going to start bringing my camera with me, I'm grabbing it right now and putting it on top of my invoice book to remember.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      What the heck are you doing posting at 3:18 am?
                      Getting ready to leave for work!

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You gotta love the ficus tree! $$$$

Comment

notice the rust stained concrete from their open drum they left behind
                          Obviously, they didn't know what they hell they were doing. I know where this is going but like AceSewer said, it's not a matter of machine. They just as well could of said the same thing and made a mess using a sectional or any other other type of machine. I ALWAYS do my best to keep my work area clean or cleaner than when I arrived. This thread has more to do with inability and skill than it does choice of machine.
                          I know you think drum (or in this case open reel) machines are the scourge of the earth Rick. But contrary to what you presently think, there are those of us that actually know what we're doing and know the tricks (just you also know regarding sectionals) to properly cleaning drains and keeping the area clean while using a drum.

Just wanted to add:
                          Prior to reading Ricks and other posts on this forum, I was under the impression, for many years, that anyone who used sectionals had absolutely no clue what he was doing. Clearly that's not true. Point being that sectional guys have their technique and drummers have theirs.
                          Last edited by Twicepipes; 03-20-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                            Rick, thanks. So far my experiece is in 4" residential. Twice now I've had real restricted 4" lines, what seemed to be rock like protrusions attached to sides and top of ci pipe. Had difficulty running a cutter of any size. Took a 3" sharktooth and cut one side off, had to really work the cable back and forth, blade getting stuck every 1-2' worked out ok the open wound cable always " sprung" back and freed itself. I LOVE the instant release clutch on the k-60!

Would a innercore leader be helpful/ safer in these situations? Just thinking out loud.

wookie
                            the innercore ads stiffness to the cable. it reduces the chances of the cable knotting or flipping. the majority of the lines i do are 4'' -6''. the innercore i use is the c-10ic. basically the normal 7/8'' cable with a plastic center section. still the same wire diameter.

i was thinking of making up some of my own, but this stuff is so good that i havn't had a need to re do the cables.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Great job rick! Thats a pretty massive rootball. I am amazed that the 7/8 cable did that work, I got to get me some 7/8 innercore too.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X