Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My New K-60

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    Ok, so last night was my first time with the k-60, if I can't make better time of it, I 'm gonna have to change from flat rate to hourly

I had 105', I ran this line before with my drum, pull the machine out, run 105', already in the drum of my Duracable, run, clean wham gone done in 30 mins.

K-60, pulled all the 75' of cable from drum, broke it into sections of 30' and ran with it, at 90' unable to pass with the piece of junk, when I bound up, the cable kept feeding out of the machine, I tried and tried to pass, not able to, so, I sold the camera, thank you k-60, offset at 90'?? what, I ran right past this with my drum........

Didn't even pull back roots, I get roots every time with my drum, not with this, even with the c-cutter, 3", open wind cable is supposed to pull more roots back?

So, anyways, I am gonna work with it, maybe about the 10th mainline i will have it down, what was scary is the binding part, it couldn't even get past the offset.

On the bright side, if I use the k60 I am sure to sell a camera.

1 thing good, the thing fits great in the new van, along with both drums of 7/8 cable, almost like they were made for eachother.
    A few thoughts...

Could the offset have worsened since the last time you snaked with your drum? I would say this is the case if your drum and sectional c cutters are the same size.

If I can keep the cutter spinning I have found that I shred the roots more then I bring back.

The giant rootballs are from lines that have had years to develop their root systems and the use of root saws to screw and cut helps form the giant root balls we see in pics.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
      No no no! Don't buy it!

Oh DAMN too late.

That "binding up" is super dangerous because at 600rpm's that open wound << get it? cable has to deliver that wind up tension somewhere, and it's either going to stay in the pipe or it's coming flying out.

Why do I know this?

Because I've been there, for years, when there wasn't anything else to use back in that time because they didn't offer it. I despise cleaning cables, just to pack up and put into another drain, knowing the next one could be horrible with black sludge.

Getting too old to do heavy manual labor. 39 is too old. Need to rethink strategy and make drains clear with snap of fingers.
      If you stand on the clutch of the K-60 after the cable binds you could get into trouble as the cable will tend to twist up on you but this is easy see comming as you get more cable into the line...

The Drum is trouble if you load it up when bound Good luck getting that drum with 80' of 3/4" IC to stop before you get a snap and cable whip. ( somebody just posted a pic of their leg after this exact thing happened within the last month or two if I remember correctly)

I use both Drum and sectional machines and agree that Drums are great as well...

My sectional cables clean really easily except for the little white mice that somehow get inside

Comment

When I ran sectionals, I always felt the need to grow a 3rd hand (to operate the clutch) and a set of eyes in the back of my head (to watch the cable still outside the machine) and then I found the drum machine to be the answer to all those problems.

Now, yesterday I ran my 81 on a kitchen sink drain and I really need a power feed on that. Tub gun isn't going to fly because I'm not holding something that damn heavy, and I need a 3rd hand once again.

If I had time, knowing how poor of shape my body is in, I need to invent a product that provides the ability to use equipment with the least amount of physical effort, and it's coming.

The only thing is....I need to come up with this idea and market it before I leave this trade, which I will.

This work is just beating me down completely and I'm trying to get where I don't have to do this much longer.

A guy who laid off his help recently got a 33% increase on what he pays in unemployment taxes now, since he "had" to lay off his help due to the economic times. I'm not having these problems like others, but indirectly I'm sure it affects how many calls come into my office.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          I want a k6o for the few times when I cant get my big machine close.
          You did not just say that

Comment

I want a K-60 because I lost one of my Jackstands
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
              You did not just say that
              Sorry, but I was thinking about this job that happened back in December or January where a k60 would have come in handy.

Don't tell the Gorlitz forum

From previous post;

"I needed a sectional about three months ago on a rental property with a 4 inch cleanout in the backyard. Old shotgun house on property line on left with no yard access. On the right two ft wide alley separating the next house, gutters along the alley, widens out towards the back where there are two a/c units and concrete steps. Could not get my 26" wide, 250 lb, drum machine back there. Sectional would have been nice. I used a smaller than I would have liked cable, pulled out some tampons, and it hasnt stopped up since. I got lucky it wasnt heavy grease or roots. If that was the case I would of just used my jet."

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I've never quite figured out why some are an either or when it comes to drums and sectionals. I believe both have their place on a truck.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I've never quite figured out why some are an either or when it comes to drums and sectionals. I believe both have their place on a truck.

Mark

I agree, both have their place on a truck.

twicepipes and I both use gorlitz machines and they dont make a sectional.

I do prefer drum, but there have been a few times where I thought sectional would be better.

I keep a list of things that I need in the future and a sectional is on that list. It's behind the mini seesnake, dvdpak, remote transmitter, and nine other things.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    Ok, so last night was my first time with the k-60, if I can't make better time of it, I 'm gonna have to change from flat rate to hourly

I had 105', I ran this line before with my drum, pull the machine out, run 105', already in the drum of my Duracable, run, clean wham gone done in 30 mins.

K-60, pulled all the 75' of cable from drum, broke it into sections of 30' and ran with it, at 90' unable to pass with the piece of junk, when I bound up, the cable kept feeding out of the machine, I tried and tried to pass, not able to, so, I sold the camera, thank you k-60, offset at 90'?? what, I ran right past this with my drum........

Didn't even pull back roots, I get roots every time with my drum, not with this, even with the c-cutter, 3", open wind cable is supposed to pull more roots back?

So, anyways, I am gonna work with it, maybe about the 10th mainline i will have it down, what was scary is the binding part, it couldn't even get past the offset.

On the bright side, if I use the k60 I am sure to sell a camera.

1 thing good, the thing fits great in the new van, along with both drums of 7/8 cable, almost like they were made for eachother.
                    After you ran the camera, how'd the the root infilitration look? Next time try a 4 bladed cutter, they go over offsets very well and decently enough on roots but you'll still be able to tell something is wrong at that spot. Another thing I do when hitting an offset or the back of a santee is load up the cable by putting some tension on it and quickly work the handle so the cable start and stop quickly. Doing this in reverse also works well. How'd the back feel after the job and did you sell a new line?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      Sorry, but I was thinking about this job that happened back in December or January where a k60 would have come in handy.

Don't tell the Gorlitz forum

From previous post;

"I needed a sectional about three months ago on a rental property with a 4 inch cleanout in the backyard. Old shotgun house on property line on left with no yard access. On the right two ft wide alley separating the next house, gutters along the alley, widens out towards the back where there are two a/c units and concrete steps. Could not get my 26" wide, 250 lb, drum machine back there. Sectional would have been nice. I used a smaller than I would have liked cable, pulled out some tampons, and it hasn't stopped up since. I got lucky it wasnt heavy grease or roots. If that was the case I would of just used my jet."
                      If a Gorlitz forum exists I would know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        After you ran the camera, how'd the the root infilitration look? Next time try a 4 bladed cutter, they go over offsets very well and decently enough on roots but you'll still be able to tell something is wrong at that spot. Another thing I do when hitting an offset or the back of a santee is load up the cable by putting some tension on it and quickly work the handle so the cable start and stop quickly. Doing this in reverse also works well. How'd the back feel after the job and did you sell a new line?

I sold a closer cleanout and a hydro jet. someone asked if the offest was worse since the last time I went, I don't think so.

I will give this another go when I install the cleanout within 25' of the saddle, run the k-60 before I jet the line.

I bought probaly 5 different cutters, I will stock up on some more then Thanks for the tips, they are appreciated.

No one wants to buy a paper weight or have to change from flat rate to hourly
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                        X