X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small line machine k-380 vs k-60

I have been using the k-380 for about 5 years now, but i broke down and purchased the k-60 with 5/8" and 7/8" cables. Here are my thoughts on it for small lines 1-1/2" -3". ( we all know the power with the 7/8" cable but never talk much about the 5/8" cable)

--k-60 5/8" cable--
    PROS--much much better cleaning power (625 rpms)!
    many differnt selection of cutters. Light weight and compact takes up much less room on the van! Great on lines with grease in them!

CONS--a bit messy, Many trips in and out of the house (machine, cables, hose,) The use off cables can be a bit tricky at times.

--K-380 3/8" cable--
    PROS--Very clean! one trip in and out of the house, Very affordable!

CONS--not much cleaning power (190rpm). cable can be stiff some times.
    Takes up more room on van,

After using the k-60 for 3 weeks now, i think the k-380 is a "homeowner" machine. Works to get water flowing, but does not clean lines as well as the k-60. Higher Rpms do much better at cleaning! The k-60 is a true plumbers machine! The k-380 is a dust collector now! (any homeowners want to buy it) LOL. Im in love with my k-60!
    Last edited by jhplumbing; 04-05-2009, 01:38 PM.

Re: Small line machine k-380 vs k-60

Good points I have been useing a K50 for a few weeks now. before I used 3/8 cable and mytana machine. I absolutly think the k50 is better in 1.5 to 2" PVC. 1 pass through and I usually have the drain cleared. I'm a little clumsy with it so I prefer for customers not to watch me. But I like the cleaning ability. The K50 is terrible in galvanized pipe just doesnt go around fittings good. so I still use the 3/8 cable in galvanized. If I could only use the K50 I would but I still need both machines. I have 1 machine that does it all. The Mytana M81 runs main lines all the way down to 1.5 with a simple change of a drum. I do enough drains to warrent some equipment that is a little specalized The K50 is it for me. I tried it, I liked it, I bought one for cheap and use it alot. Next might be 1 1/4" cable with the right angle drill a few people use.

Comment

jh, after some use and time you'll have the hang of the machine and be very proficent with it.

i use the 5 gallon bucket or a mortar mixing tub with the 5/8'' 7.5' cables indoors. the hose is a pain and slow.

outdoors no hose at all.

the speed and safety of the clutch is what makes the k-60 the #1 all around machine out there.

by the way, i too have retired all my drums machines. in 3 years of k-60, i've used my 7500 for 1 day at a big job.

the 1 thing the 380 was good for was a roof job and you don't need that anymore. the k-60 is king of the roof tops.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

RICK
        Whats the 5 gal bucket trick?? The mortar mix tray sounds like a good idea!

Comment

the mortar mix tray, you sit the machine into the tray and loop the 5/8'' cables around it as you remove them.

the 5 gallon bucket you pull the cables back into the bucket.

the mortar tray is great for pulling a toilet too put the wet/ waxy toilet in the tray to stay off the floor.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
            the mortar mix tray, you sit the machine into the tray and loop the 5/8'' cables around it as you remove them.

The 5 gallon bucket you pull the cables back into the bucket.

The mortar tray is great for pulling a toilet too put the wet/ waxy toilet in the tray to stay off the floor.

Rick.
            this proves the point about how much mease sectionals can be to use inside of a building
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

It proves the point of how well they get they job done!

Comment

Working...
              X