7500 vs k60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7500 vs k60

Every root job we have tried the 7500 because it is a finished space we always end up pulling out the sectionals. The 7500 cable binds up and wants to twist up in the drum but won't cut the roots. We run spiral saws for most of the jobs on both the drum and sectional. If we have fine roots hanging we run a 3 finger cutter the diameter of the pipe to clean it up. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the drum but the sectional always goes thru.

Comment

You arn't doing anything wrong

I believe that when wrangling a root stoppage with a spiralsaw cutter, the higher RPM's of a sectional makes a difference. Not to say a drum can't clear it but the approach is slightly different between the two machines.

I've flipped too many cables inside of drums trying to tackle some root stoppages. I like the control I have over the K60 when the cutter hits the root.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        You arn't doing anything wrong

I believe that when wrangling a root stoppage with a spiralsaw cutter, the higher RPM's of a sectional makes a difference. Not to say a drum can't clear it but the approach is slightly different between the two machines.

I've flipped too many cables inside of drums trying to tackle some root stoppages. I like the control I have over the K60 when the cutter hits the root.
        I use the double-cutter on the drum for roots, and the spiral-cutter on the sectional. Different styles of cutting. The drum cable uses torque to rip through the roots, the sectional cable uses the higher speed rpm to saw through.
        Either one will work, but I believe a 1.25" sectional cable is the best, 3/4" drum cable second and I would put 7/8" sectional cable third in terms of roots.

I don't use spiral cutters on the drum as bill mentioned, the slower speed doesn't work so well with them.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have followed up on many service calls where a plumber with his sectional machine could not get the torque needed to open a heavy root stoppage. Each time I had no trouble with my 1065. But do not get me wrong I also followed up on just as many jobs where the plumber had his own drum machine and could not open the and properly clear a line, but I was able to do so with my 1065.

Rodding with a drum machine is a different skill than rodding with a sectional machine. Both can clear the drains just fine if the operator of the machine knows how to "feel" what the cutter is doing in the pipe. To many guys no matter what machine they are using just think they can shove a spinning cable in and it will bum rush the blockage and get the line open in no time. Granted I bet there are guys out there as well as myself make it look that easy, it just is not. Clearing a drain no matter what size, what type of stoppage, and which machine you use, it requires skill and the know how of the machine you are using.

I been clearing drains since I was 12 with my father, I am 40 now. You give me a root stoppage and a machine, I will get it open, be it a sectional, drum, flat tape, even the old hand twist solid rods. They all need a different skill to successfully open a line and properly clean the line, except the hand tape which can not clean the line properly.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I agree Ratz! Somebody doesn't know what they are doing...
            All ya gotta do it run that cable in and when it binds on the root let er twist up a bit, not too much though & then snap it back to free er up and while its spinning unloading the cable push it back into the root. Right on through...

I'm hearing a bunch of tall tales here...
            Either that or they follow behind a lot of 6 week wonder rooters...

I never leave money on the platter and walk away...
            I'm there and the drain is going to open up!
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Well running it on thru might get the drain working it is just the first step, followed by in your head figuring how many feet you are at when you hit the stoppage so you can come back and consentrate on that area to really ream those roots out of there. As said different ways for different machines, and different stoppages they aren't all roots.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                Well running it on thru might get the drain working it is just the first step, followed by in your head figuring how many feet you are at when you hit the stoppage so you can come back and consentrate on that area to really ream those roots out of there. As said different ways for different machines, and different stoppages they aren't all roots.
                Very true not all are roots, each stoppage needs a different approach, and cutters. I walk in with my tool bucket which has at least 15 cutters in it, all of different shape and sizes. I even had an adapter made up to use the 1 ¼ Ridgid cutters on my ¾" cable.

A little tip for you drum machine users, use pipe dope to mark on your cable the spot the line opened, I take the brush and press it on the cable and make a double mark while the cable is spinning. This way it takes the guessing out of where you where when you decide to work that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

A little tip for you drum machine users, use pipe dope to mark on your cable the spot the line opened, I take the brush and press it on the cable and make a double mark while the cable is spinning. This way it takes the guessing out of where you where when you decide to work that spot.
                  i always use my sectionals to determine the footage.

on my drum cables, i use to paint them every 10'. but it's hard to stay on top of the paint marks. i have seen a proto type drum footage counter and i liked what i saw. now if they just send it to market, the drum guys might have a chance of matching my marks.

a camera gives footage, a sectional gives footage, but a drum is only an educated guess. my sectionals are plus or minus 1' anywhere in the line.
                  same with my jetters.

my sectionals are either 7.5', 10' or 15'. pretty simple to determine distance. i also document all of my jobs so that it's pretty simple to track the problems.

if' i've camered a job, then all the info is documented for me to use to assist me in homing in on the problem.

today was jetting all day and all of my hoses are marked every 10' including my 250' and 400' hoses.

drain cleaning is like fishing. if you know where the fish are, you will be successful and catch your limit

if you have no idea what you're doing, you'll be leaving lots of fish behind for the other guy.

drain cleaning is more than just poking a hole in the stoppage. that's why it's called cleaning and not clearing

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I have found that the K-60 makes a great "jack stand" if you have a flat tire
                    I use my K-7500 to cut trees down via, the ROOTS!

Did ya miss me
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Man I can't explain this but today I had a new client with a very bad side sewer, He just bought the house and had no history,,well it needed a new line but he wanted to pay for a camera and a snake to clear it and look at it. Drum machine powered thru it but was always on the verge of kinking the cable, roots where at almost every joint and bad... I mean bad. Well after using the arrow bit, the small c-cutter and the root saw tha camera showed a lot of roots still left behind. Jumped to the K-60 and bam it really cleared the roots away two passes and wow! That big 7/8 cable just keeps it off the bottom of the pipe and does great! So in the end I used the drum machine as a jackstand.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Man I can't explain this but today I had a new client with a very bad side sewer, He just bought the house and had no history,,well it needed a new line but he wanted to pay for a camera and a snake to clear it and look at it. Drum machine powered thru it but was always on the verge of kinking the cable, roots where at almost every joint and bad... I mean bad. Well after using the arrow bit, the small c-cutter and the root saw tha camera showed a lot of roots still left behind. Jumped to the K-60 and bam it really cleared the roots away two passes and wow! That big 7/8 cable just keeps it off the bottom of the pipe and does great! So in the end I used the drum machine as a jackstand.
                        Do you think the K-60 could of cleared the line before you started with the drum machine? I mean in your own poast the drum machine did all the hard work.

Comment

I mean the drum wasted my time using it, never cleared the line out, it was always about to kink the cable if I let it, and the K60 did it because of higher RPM to saw as these where root balls not lengths of roots, on long lengths of roots I use the drum and grab them and pull them out but root balls are tough at least here almost cement like. The K-60 with 750 RPM's and root saw buzz them with proper pressure on the cable.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have cleared lines spotless with a drum machine. Even in the toughest of roots and where every joint in the line was infiltrated. I had a city official watch me rod a line, and when I got it open with the small starting tool he wanted to televise the line. We noticed huge root balls at every clay joint in the line. I then proceeded to rod the line with a spartan 4" U blade, worked all the joints over kept plenty of water running during the rodding. When I was done rolling up the cable I started to pack up. The official said arn't you going to run the expanding cutter through there. He insisted that the drum machine leaves to much behind compared to a sectional machine thats why he wanted the expanding cutter. I told him televise the line again. It was spotless. Not a single root left.

Comment

I mean the drum wasted my time using it, never cleared the line out, it was always about to kink the cable if I let it, and the K60 did it because of higher RPM to saw as these where root balls not lengths of roots, on long lengths of roots I use the drum and grab them and pull them out but root balls are tough at least here almost cement like. The K-60 with 750 RPM's and root saw buzz them with proper pressure on the cable.
                              I have seen that situation. On certain types of stoppages, I do prefer the sectional. I have one tomorrow morning that I will be using the K-60 on. Eventually I'll just get a jetter!.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Dude today I worked for was great! He is a auto mechanic and former construction guy so he was pretty good about the whole job, watched me I don't usually like being watched but this guy was fine. All said and done he gave me a $100 tip because he saw how bad the line was.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X