Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7500 vs k60

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
    Dude today I worked for was great! He is a auto mechanic and former construction guy so he was pretty good about the whole job, watched me I don't usually like being watched but this guy was fine. All said and done he gave me a $100 tip because he saw how bad the line was.
    Awe man he jinxed ya. Every time I get a tip I usually end up with a call back for something stupid.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Awe man he jinxed ya. Every time I get a tip I usually end up with a call back for something stupid.
      LMAO !
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
        Go with the k60 the 7500 is not a root machine, its only good with soft stopages. We leave the 7500 on the truck the majority of the time and use the sectional. Welcome to the forum.
        WHAT????????

Sorry DUNBAR made me do it
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

K-60 vs. K7500 is not really an apples to apples discussion...

The K-60 is an all around great machine for alot of my jobs and is my primary go to machine.

I have not used a K-7500 but started drain cleaning on a Spartan 1065 it too was a great machine.

IMO there is not a machine that compares to the K-60 and It speaks volumes that the only machine it can be put up against is a machine that is rated for 10" lines

If we simply go by machines and their rated line size you would need to bump the K-7500 against the K-1500.

I gotta say that my K-1500SP would eat the Spartan 1065's lunch

Anybody care to make the fight that their 3/4 soild cable will stand up better then 1/ 1/4"???

In summation:

The K-60 is in it's a class by itself unless you wat to bump it against the K-400 which is also rated to 4"

K-7500 vs. K-1500SP... I know which one I would bring to the root buffet

Drums or Sectionals I have both and use both and am a better drain cleaner for it
          Last edited by OkieBill; 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell very well

Comment

If I had tons of extra money and space, I might throw a 7500 in the arsenal. However, I don't currently have any desire to go into anymore than 4". The K60 takes up little room on the truck(almost less than the K39AF in it's case!) and is so portable. I am dying to try it out on a challenging mess; the same kind of mess I had to go through when using the company I worked for machine. Old drum, kinked and rusted 3/4" cable, broken air switch, beaten by former employees.. I have a feeling the cable makes all the difference; I have the 7/8" steel IC cable. Just carrying the full cage makes the tendons in my arm snap off! Ratz, the skill and know how you have took years(and I'm sure some pain) to aquire. I wish I had it, but I'm doing the best I can for a guy who got into the trade much later than most.

Comment

All I can say is:
              " A man is only as good as his machines! "

Comment

Here is the thing about a debate of any sectional machine vs a drum machine. IT IS SILLY.

There is no real comparison to either machine be it the K-60 vs the Spartan 300 (its more fitting this way) or the K-1500 vs the Ridgid K-750 or 7500. No matter which sectional machine you compare to a drum machine its not going to work you are comparing apples to oranges.

Each style of machine has its Pro's and con's I can sit here and debate each and everyone of them with you all. But again it is silly. The reason why I say it is silly is each machine performs the task at hand (drain cleaning) in totally different rodding styles. Let me explain for those that may not know the real difference.

Lets start with a drum machine. OK it's obvious that the machine stores its cable in a drum. What some people do not realize is the cable is attached to the drum by an anchor. Now the cable is a closed wind type but limber enough to negotiate turns within the drainage system. When the cutter head reaches a blockage, and gets caught in this blockage and is no longer turning. The machine will keep on rotating the cable, and since it is attached in the drum it will wind the cable up tighter like a spring storing up torque. One of two things will happen the torque will get to the point where the blockage will break free or you could snap the cable. But, Let say that again BUT before the cable get to a dangerous amount of torque the operator will pull back on the cable enough to free the cutter head. Once the head is free it will spin with great speed and power.

Now a experienced drum machine user can manage the torque and keep the cutter head cutting the blockage in the pipes.

Lets move on to the sectional machines. Unlike the drum machine the cable is stored in rands you carry in to the job site and you feed it in one section at a time. Depending on the machine and brand cable you are using the sections are in 5' to 15' sections and is of an open winding in most cases. You start by putting your first one in the machine and attaching your cutter head, you push the cable into the pipe and you have to push down on a lever to engage the clutch to spin the cable as the slack you had out of the machine enter the pipe, you release the clutch pull a foot or so of cable out of the machine and press the clutch to work the cable into the line. Once that section is in the line you add another one into the machine connect the cables then rinse and repeat the proceeder of feeding the cable into the drain.

Now when the cutter head in this case reaches the blockage, it can not build up the same torque the drum machine can since the cable is not anchored anywhere. Where this machine differs is it spins the cable at twice the speed, the operator needs to keep that cutter turning, he can build some torque, to help in the cutting process but the key here is like a hole saw, keep it spinning and cutting. If you are getting to much of a bite into the blockage you simply release the clutch pull the cable back into the machine just enough then press the clutch down again and work the spot till you cut through.

So the big difference is a drum machine relies on torque to do the cleaning where a sectional machine relies on rotation speed. Both are a learned skill both require the operator to "feel" whats going on with the cable. Both machines can clear blockages very well. Each machine in my opinion is suited for certain type of blockages, but then I would be getting in to the pro's and con's of each machine.

I hope this helped those of you that where unsure of how each machine worked.
                Ron's Facebook

Comment

lets name this thread All Clear (k-7500) Vs. Plumber Rick (k-60)!

Comment

Anytime you hear me chime in about these two machines, it's about where I've been and where I'm at.

You might think, "Ahh that Dunbar is just old before his time, what is he, 70???"

Well, I might be old for my age, not in physical good shape, but I was rodding drains with a drum machine the very next week after I tore my rotator cuff.

You won't be making money with a K60 with a torn rotator cuff, ever until you're healed and then you're going to have to be extremely careful.

This profession if you stay in it a full career will break your body down, no way around that statement. You better believe I'm going to do everything to stay in it.

Of course, I could abandon the entire idea of drain cleaning to stay away from the work but I like the money generated. Instant cash flow without trips to the supply houses.

I'm half tempted to build a video showing the operation, from the beginning to end, working it as fast as I can with each piece of equipment and in the same fashion. The attitude of "super-cleaning" a drain doesn't erase what brought you to that system in its fouling. It's because of piping choice, grade issue, plumber's mistake, the list goes on...

There was a video that came out of the last roundup that I was surprised wasn't clipped and shortened, just because it gave view of the time involved.

It's still a win-win for Ridgid because they sell both, and they know these discussions are never about product brand comparisons, at all. I think at the level, Ridgid/Spartan/General and a few select others do really well, embrace the top level guarantee the product is worth the investment.

All I can say is choose your equipment and use it wisely. I believe in clearing drains but I don't believe in working twice as hard to get it open, handling cables excessively and then coming on a plumbing forum lying about the down time or cleanup it takes to clean a cable, the mess, the efforts it takes to make numerous passes hooking and unhooking cables constantly because if you don't, you might as well tarp the entire house and walls to do so. I want those hours back where I sat on the tailgate of my truck, with a knife cutting roots, hair, foreign objects along with anything else an open wind caught.

And then I come to a plumbing forum and apparently these things didn't happen, or they are not mentioned? Check your perspective of reality at the door...I did.

Trying to figure out how all these drains I've cleaned aren't reocurring quickly afterwards if my equpment is sub par to the idea of sectional...?

Use whatever you want; nobody gets a cookie for overworking their body to get a drain open. I paid my dues in the beginning and I'm smart enough to know that I don't want to do that 5,10,20 years from now because it literally takes its toll. If you want to throw caution to the wind that rolling a machine on wheels up and down a set of steps is the end of the world,

You shouldn't be drain cleaning, period. Because I have chronic back problems and trust my luck far better with the selection I've chosen with one of those two machines.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-17-2009, 05:18 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I bought the K-60 for two reasons.
                      One because I could and I like toys
                      Two because I got sick of hearing that I couldn't make statements about the K-60 because I hadn't tried one. Being how Ridgid couldn't do a demo in 3 years I bought one. It was just as I said it was going to be duhhhhhhhh
                      Messy and takes longer to set-up and tear down then a drum machine.
                      Now don't tell me I haven't used it enough because I can clear a drain with any machine you want to put in front of me. I have used the K-60 enough to see it was as I first thought. Like I posted in the other topic I did a 110` run in just around 20 minutes with the K-60. It was a work out and I wont be doing it again. I just wanted to prove my point that I can run any machine you put at my feet. I`m to old to work that hard 10 to 15 times a day. I did 4 main line runs in about 2 1/2 hours with the K-60 and spent over an hour in a hot tub thinking "WHY did I do this to myself when I have an easier way of cleaning sewers?" Like I said and have said many times "The K-60 has it`s place but it is in no way is the machine to replace a K-7500 for a guy that makes his living cleaning root infested main lines. Hell, I still hurt today....lol
                      I preach to my helpers to "Work Smarter not Harder"
                      I will be keeping the K-60 on the truck but I will be using my drum machines anywhere I can because of :
                      1. No mess
                      2.No work out
                      3. It`s faster
                      4. do I really need to go on?
                      If I can wear out a K-7500 in a year, I think I must do enough sewer cleaning to know a little something

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        I will be keeping the K-60 on the truck but I will be using my drum machines anywhere I can because of :
                        1. No mess
                        2.No work out
                        3. It`s faster
                        4. do I really need to go on?
                        If I can wear out a K-7500 in a year, I think I must do enough sewer cleaning to know a little something
                        lets see

i keep a k-60 on my truck because i found that the amount of work it took to move a 250# drum machine around was more work than it took to move a 35# machine around.

there is not 1 space a k-60 can't go. including under a house, on a roof, on top a ladder and even in joeys car without her knowing

if anyone really thinks they know all the tricks and are proficient in a new piece of equipment in 1 day, then they must be a better drain man than us all.

i carried the k-60 on the truck with the 7500 a good 6 months before i permanently removed the 7500 from my truck.

the 7500 was good at 1 thing. a simple access to a ground level cleanout. unfortunately, the majority of my jobs are not simple access ground level cleanouts. most require a flight of stairs or a narrow side yard access. but then i found that instead of pulling a toilet to access a main, i could easily go onto a roof and clean from a 3'' or 4'' vent faster than i could pull and reset a toilet inside a bathroom.

so after 6 months of head to head running, i kept the k60 and retired a fleet of drum machines. took me 6 months to discover what i should have done 20 years earlier.

in fact the k-60 allowed me to scale down from a gmc w4500 weighing in at 14,000# to a sprinter weighing in at under 9900#. no the 7500 didn't save me 4100#, it saved me all the floor space it required to carry it and extra cable. my k60 sits on an aluminum shelf off the floor. i carry 180' with me in the truck. allowing me to clean everything from 2''- 6'' lines with roots and sludge. add the 5/8'' cable and i can step down to 1.5'' lines.

knowing how to properly use the machine has allowed me to work smart, with no mess, and continue cleaning drains with no help. honestly when i average out the time and effort it takes to get the 7500 to the drain, the k-60 is far and away faster and just as clean.

not a review based on 1 day of use

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          lets see

i keep a k-60 on my truck because i found that the amount of work it took to move a 250# drum machine around was more work than it took to move a 35# machine around.

there is not 1 space a k-60 can't go. including under a house, on a roof, on top a ladder and even in joeys car without her knowing

if anyone really thinks they know all the tricks and are proficient in a new piece of equipment in 1 day, then they must be a better drain man than us all.

i carried the k-60 on the truck with the 7500 a good 6 months before i permanently removed the 7500 from my truck.

the 7500 was good at 1 thing. a simple access to a ground level cleanout. unfortunately, the majority of my jobs are not simple access ground level cleanouts. most require a flight of stairs or a narrow side yard access. but then i found that instead of pulling a toilet to access a main, i could easily go onto a roof and clean from a 3'' or 4'' vent faster than i could pull and reset a toilet inside a bathroom.

so after 6 months of head to head running, i kept the k60 and retired a fleet of drum machines. took me 6 months to discover what i should have done 20 years earlier.

in fact the k-60 allowed me to scale down from a gmc w4500 weighing in at 14,000# to a sprinter weighing in at under 9900#. no the 7500 didn't save me 4100#, it saved me all the floor space it required to carry it and extra cable. my k60 sits on an aluminum shelf off the floor. i carry 180' with me in the truck. allowing me to clean everything from 2''- 6'' lines with roots and sludge. add the 5/8'' cable and i can step down to 1.5'' lines.

knowing how to properly use the machine has allowed me to work smart, with no mess, and continue cleaning drains with no help. honestly when i average out the time and effort it takes to get the 7500 to the drain, the k-60 is far and away faster and just as clean.

not a review based on 1 day of use

rick.
                          Just for more clarity in comparison:

K7500 with 100' Hollow Core=About 250lbs.

K60 with 100' of 7/8" Sectional=About 120lbs.

Both should do what you want. Good luck using what you like.

J.C.

Comment

ROFLMAO-We got another one!

Steve the truth of the matter is none of us own K-60s, we just try to see how many guys we can trick into buying boat anchors.

The real truth of the matter is every machine has it's advantages and disadvantages. Having a variety of machines on a truck gives you more options when cleaning so you don't just settle for what's on the truck.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Well said.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              ROFLMAO-We got another one!

Steve the truth of the matter is none of us own K-60s, we just try to see how many guys we can trick into buying boat anchors.

The real truth of the matter is every machine has it's advantages and disadvantages. Having a variety of machines on a truck gives you more options when cleaning so you don't just settle for what's on the truck.

Mark
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                Just for more clarity in comparison:

K7500 with 100' Hollow Core=About 250lbs.

K60 with 100' of 7/8" Sectional=About 120lbs.

Both should do what you want. Good luck using what you like.

J.C.
                                not my point.

i don't think anyone moves around a 7500 without a drum or without cable. you always deal with 250#

i carry my k-60 in 1 hand and 90' of cable with an extension cord in the other. if i only need 15', then i just carry 15'.

point is, i don't need a lift gate, a winch, a ramp, or a helper. i can go anywhere up, down, under and over without any help.

a liftgate is great if you're delivering appliances. but i can't picture having to flip a liftgate open every time i need to access the rear door. not to mention the fact that you need another 4-6' of clearance just to operate the gate. but then again i guess it's better than always towing a trailer around town.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X