X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 School

You guys use the k-60 to clean main lines 4"&6",and can do this from a smaller pipe 2" . I ask this because i saw a thread were rick seemed to be cleaning a line from a 1 1\2 clean out ! dont the roots get stuck as you are pulling the cable back and the drain is droping in size? I ask these questions beacuse I would never think of using a K-60 till I came here and started reading the Threads on the K-60.

Re: K-60 School

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
    You guys use the k-60 to clean main lines 4"&6",and can do this from a smaller pipe 2" . I ask this because i saw a thread were rick seemed to be cleaning a line from a 1 1\2 clean out ! dont the roots get stuck as you are pulling the cable back and the drain is droping in size? I ask these questions beacuse I would never think of using a K-60 till I came here and started reading the Threads on the K-60.
    I have rodded from a 2" clean out that was on a 4" line with a drum machine in the past, but not 2" pipe. Well I did go from a 2" pipe once it was only 2 feet long then went right into the 4" cast iron line. And in both them cases it was a royal pain to pull the rodder back out of the 2" openings when they where full of roots.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have rodded from a 2" clean out that was on a 4" line with a drum machine in the past, but not 2" pipe. Well I did go from a 2" pipe once it was only 2 feet long then went right into the 4" cast iron line. And in both them cases it was a royal pain to pull the rodder back out of the 2" openings when they where full of roots.
      But you got it done without cutting up the house.

Comment

it's not a daily practice snaking from a 1.5'' or 2'' line to clear a 4''-6'' root stoppage. but it's something i've done dozens of times and have never been stuck where i couldn't get out.

the only time i've been stuck was the a/c condensate roof drain that i didn't know was 2'' and had a trap under the roof until after i cleared it

who would ever think a roof drain would be 2'' and have a trap?

had to remove the cutter from under the ceiling tile at a joint to remove my cable. but i did get through the trap to clear the line with my k-60 and 7/8'' cable with auger

as far as roots go when attempting a 1.5'' or 2'' entry. i use my reverse auger with a sharp end and a 30-45 degree bend the last couple inches. this allows me to enter the small line and spring back open to the larger 4'' line.

have i been hung up? sure have i been stuck and not get out? never

have you seen some of my root photos

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have been able to find some but just worry about getting stuck and having to explain to the home owner why I have to cut their pipes apart to get the cable out. But on the roof drain i dont understand why have a trap that should have been discharging in to a floor drain about three years ago I cleaned a condsate line with my k-50 the 2" lwent in to a floor drain. However when i hit the stoppage all the water in the line broke loose and got every were good thing it was in a Mech. room and the doors were closed what i get from reading these fourms is you can get rid of your k-50 and use a k-60 ,k39 and k-1500 for every thing. do they make an adaptor to use small for the k-60 like the k-50?

Comment

[QUOTE=Clipper City Plumber;234219]I have been able to find some but just worry about getting stuck and having to explain to the home owner why I have to cut their pipes apart to get the cable out. But on the roof drain i dont understand why have a trap that should have been discharging in to a floor drain about three years ago I cleaned a condsate line with my k-50 the 2" lwent in to a floor drain. However when i hit the stoppage all the water in the line broke loose and got every were good thing it was in a Mech. room and the doors were closed what i get from reading these fourms is you can get rid of your k-50 and use a k-60 ,k39 and k-1500 for every thing. do they make an adaptor to use small for the k-60 like the k-50?[/QUOTE]

No...it's the same adapter

I use it all the time

Comment

Equipped with an A-17 adapter, runs up to 50 feet of 5/16" (15m/8mm) or 35 feet of 3/8" (11m/10mm) continuous length cable.
              – 5/16" best for 3/4" to 11/2" lines.
              – 3/8" best for 11/4" to 2" lines is this what you are talking about plumberscrack?

Comment

I have been able to find some but just worry about getting stuck and having to explain to the home owner why I have to cut their pipes apart to get the cable out. But on the roof drain i dont understand why have a trap that should have been discharging in to a floor drain about three years ago I cleaned a condsate line with my k-50 the 2" lwent in to a floor drain. However when i hit the stoppage all the water in the line broke loose and got every were good thing it was in a Mech. room and the doors were closed what i get from reading these fourms is you can get rid of your k-50 and use a k-60 ,k39 and k-1500 for every thing. do they make an adaptor to use small for the k-60 like the k-50?
                yes and no

i carry both and use both. the k-50 has a much smaller foot print and is lighter to carry. in fact i turn it upside down and cary it in a 5 gallon bucket

if i only had 1 or the other it would be the k-60. but i like the k-50 for it's size and keep it with me too. it also sits nice on the washing machine and in the shower too.

i typically reserve all the 5/8'' cable jobs for the 50 and keep the 60 for the 7/8'' jobs. unless i'm on the roof and already have the 60 up there, then i will use the 5/8'' on the secondary lines.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have used both drum assemblies on the K-60. I've found that the 5/16" doesn't hold up well with the high rpm's. Tends to flip and kink before you can stop the machine.

The 3/8" x 35' innercore works best if you have the bigger drum adapter. Who's snaking drains smaller than 1-1/4" anyways?

Comment

I have used the adptors for 1 1/2 tub and lavatory drains and did not see on ridgid site were the k-60 could use the adptors thats all i guess i will have to look harder?

Comment

but to only have 2 machines k-60 with adptors and k-1500 would be cool.

Comment

I have used the adptors for 1 1/2 tub and lavatory drains and did not see on ridgid site were the k-60 could use the adptors thats all i guess i will have to look harder?
                        No need to look...it's not there

Ridgid hasn't officially weighed in on using the drum adapters with the k60

Yea, it's waaay overkill for a tub or lavy stoppage but it works for me. It's not for tight spaces either but I've managed to clear all but 1 drain since using the k60 w/adapter.

The key is going slow and pumping the handle. If you like to go full tilt, then you'll need to keep spare cables in your truck

I haven't used the 1500 since putting the K60 in the van. Just over a year now.

Comment

Now how far have you gone on 4'' lines ridgid says it is only good for i think 150 on 7/8 cable is this true?
                          Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

i do 165' on a regular basis, but it will go further. remember you still need the power to cut the roots. spinning the cable is simple. it's cutting the roots that will get you.

i've personally never tried this. but there is nothing from keeping you from piggybacking a couple of k-60's together making a k-120

the machines will both rotate the cables at the same rpm and when you need the extra power, just engage the second clutch handle.

fortunately i've never needed to try this, but it will work.

now if i ever need super power, i can line up the whole family of-60's.

papa, momma, brother and sister

that's the new "rick 240"

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I have ran 165' of 7/8 cable to clear a root stoppage at about 160'. That was with the first cable being innercore and the other 150' were open wound. It worked just fine!
                              Last edited by jhplumbing; 06-06-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X