X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 cutterhead choice

Working 4" clay 35' length through 4" abs cleanout.New customer, they have history of roots ( nice access cleanout ) started with 3" spiral sawtooth @ 8' worked @5min to get through again at 15' @10min to get through, pulling back small ball of root fines. inspect cutter find leading edge teeth are really worn down. send back out, 32' more roots but nothing more than root fines. kinda expecting something bigger Getting stuck on clay pipe wearing down the teeth and me not realizing it. Figured I was up against the mother of all roots

Camera shows broken clay at 15'. 2' section broken along its length uplifted @1" Roots still evident, line unclogged but not CLEAN. Next ran sharktooth 3' with 1 blade cut off back and forth at problem spots not much help. Ran funnel auger to try and snag some roots. always pulling back some root pieces in the open wound cable. Just seems roots bouncing away from the cutters. Considered my 4" sharktooth ( t-150-2) but didn't want to risk getting caught in bad condition clay pipe, thougt about cutting a blade off the 4" also.Scrape inside diameter of pipe but not get stuck, thats the logic anyway with my 3" and also getting around turns easier?? Customer not in position for repairs, going to give Root-X a try in 6 weeks.

Comments, advice welcome. Thanks, wookie

Re: K-60 cutterhead choice

You're prolly not going to get all the roots out unless you jet it

If you go in with a larger head or finishing cutter you will likely get hung up or damage your cable

Sounds like they need it dug up

Comment

Are you using any innercore cables?
      I find that they work much better than the open wound cables. They seem to tear roots apart without even knowing that you hit roots.

Comment

I agree with Bill(pcrack) and wanted to add some things. The problem with the IC cable is that it's so heavy it wants to sit on the bottom and not jump over the offset. I'd recommend to use a 2 1/2 4bladed cutter with a good bend in the front of the cable.

Is the pipe good enough? You don't want to try so hard to get all the roots out where you end up getting stuck. Who's going to pay for the digging then? Since you know the pipe is broke, make sure they sign a waiver that allows you to dig it up in case this happens and they pay for it. Otherwise, if you get stuck, you're sol.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

here's the problem with very small soft roots. they are so flexable that unless you know where to concentrate your cleaning they tend to just flop over.

i also use the spiral cutter in reverse to act a big hook. great when you hit the blob. useless on small roots.

it's like trying to cut a crew cut compared to a pony tail.

a jetter is the best tool for cleaning the line to the full bore. especially when you don't have a full size c/o or a full size cutter.

water jets don't rely on a mechanical blade or cutters.

i have a 190' main to jet tomorrow and it's been close to 3 years since i was last there. it's only a preventative as the owner is getting nervous it's been so long. plus it has over a 20' elevation drop down through the easement and street below.

don't care what machine you're trying. it's never goin to clean a 4'' line into a 6'' line as clean as the jetter.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

line is broken and needs to be replaced.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Thanks for input. I know this family, just had back to back funerals so $ is issue. For now I'll do a Root-x treatment and monitor. Actually be a good thing to see if root-x is effective. The jobsite conditions are primo. Take longer to unload equipment than to unclog. They viewed the camera inspection and saw firsthand the condition of drain.

Feel better now, was disappointed in the results on this job. It is what it is.

wookie

Comment

wookie, remember that the line didn't get that bad overnight. they have a track record.

now you have a video and are able to properly stay on top of the problem and not be stumped.

part of drain cleaning is outsmarting the drain.

now you know all the facts, you will easily be able to stay on top of it

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  wookie, remember that the line didn't get that bad overnight. they have a track record.

now you have a video and are able to properly stay on top of the problem and not be stumped.

part of drain cleaning is outsmarting the drain.

now you know all the facts, you will easily be able to stay on top of it

rick.
                  Oh I hear you Rick, They admit to having years of problems. They were talked into outside cleanout back whenever which is good now but problems still remain.
                  They called they're regular plumber and they could not get out for a week. So I got the call ( I worked for the parents they just lost ) Maybe the regular plumber was frustrated with them, don't know. wookie with his k-60 and the ridgid forum is on the job

Comment

The only bad part to to owning a camera is seeing stuff you don't want to see , roots left after repeated passes etc. But even if cleaned to the joint they still grow back so what if you leave a few anyway. A little 13hp pressure washer (homemade jetter)can remove the left overs if you really want it clean.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Forget the roots, the 1" offset will still cause stoppages. What about the fernco patch that Gene and Jake use? Maybe you could expand your services and this could be a good test run?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hey Cuda and Gear, good comments. As I get more experience in drain cleaning I'm sure I'll get the tools/methods for full service, still figuring out the basics.

Made a nice dvd last week, customer took off for Bahamas, main clogged, come out and fixit and we'll see you next week.Had a nice a narration going, making jokes and such, pretty funny stuff if I do say so myself. FORGOT TO TURN ON AUDIO RECORD So still learning the basics

wookie

Comment

Working...
                        X