Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My K-60

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    see, I have a after of a sewer root bound after running the k-60, it pulled back some roots, about the same as my drum would, but there was still a ton left behind, probably as much or more then what the drum would have left.
    What kind of cutter head did you use on what size line?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      What kind of cutter head did you use on what size line?
      even a bare sectional cable will cut and grab roots.

same cutter in both machines and the sectional wins hands down.

the open wind and the higher rpm is a no brainer for cleaning.

7 drum machines are sitting idle as they've been replaced by 2 sectionals in the truck.

sure i have 4 more in the wings, but so far, i've only loaned 1 out as the k-60 has only had 1 bearing replaced in the 3-4 years i've had it.

i'll try to run a report on the job count if i can.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        ...... but for normal ground level cleanouts, for me is useless.
        interesting comment. is it because the cable comes out low to the ground? i think the this could be true when dealing with a raised C.O. i personally can't see the issue so please enlighten me. i'm not starting to cause a Rick discussion but i'm very curious.

don't have a K-60 yet but my K-75 works on ground level jobs (C.O. & closet bends) and raised C.O. jobs just as easilly.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I think Rob means it's just easier to use a drum machine for a ground level access than to set up a sectional.

It's a little harder using the K-60 for elevated CO's but I just don't have the room on my truck to carry a drum machine around. I suffer from vertigo, so when I use my right foot to operate the handle I sometimes start to swoon.

We don't have cleanouts here anyways and roof vents are never an option.
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 07-12-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Rothenberger makes a nice tripod for their machine. Sorry this is the only photo I can find of it being used. But you should get the idea.

Attached Files
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I just bought a welder. Maybe I can fabricate one for the K-60. It'll have to be sturdy and be able to tilt up & down.

Maybe I'll pick Rick's brain for a design.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                interesting comment. is it because the cable comes out low to the ground? i think the this could be true when dealing with a raised C.O. i personally can't see the issue so please enlighten me. i'm not starting to cause a Rick discussion but i'm very curious.

don't have a K-60 yet but my K-75 works on ground level jobs (C.O. & closet bends) and raised C.O. jobs just as easilly.

steve

Bill had it right, to roll up, unload everything for the sectional, string the cable out, connect, disconnect etc, then run it, put it all away, crazy.

roll the drum up, plug it in and go. common sense. the drum is faster unless your running around like a clown in a marathon

I did have a pin break that holds the cable in, all the wd-40 in the world isn't making it work, luck I noticed it and will toss the section in the trash, sucks if it would have broke apart in the drain.... so with stuck pins, it just ads to the set up time.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I just bought a welder. Maybe I can fabricate one for the K-60. It'll have to be sturdy and be able to tilt up & down.

bill, start off first with a folding pipe tri-stand. this will already have the tripod design. toss the top "v" or roller guide away for future pipe work. then all you need to do is fabricate the k-60 holder and pin it in to secure.

i don't see a need for a swivel up and down. but i do like the telescoping feature of the stand.

i've hed no problem strapping it to an a frame ladders top. then working from the ladder.

i too use the foot method when needed. just look at my milkshake video

next time you come visit, i'll take you to my metal shop class

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

never had a 7/8'' male coupler fail. i've had 2- 5/8'' couplers fail as the pin stuck and wouldn't spring back out.

i oil my couplers every couple of jobs to prevent muck from sticking and hardening.

but i've had more than a dozen 3/4'' drum cable couplers fail. they either fail to rotate, fail to open, or just wear out and come undone.

the 7/8'' coupler is a whole lot beefier than the 3/4'' drum connector. much more metal and surface area contact than the drum design.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      never had a 7/8'' male coupler fail. i've had 2- 5/8'' couplers fail as the pin stuck and wouldn't spring back out.

i oil my couplers every couple of jobs to prevent muck from sticking and hardening.

but i've had more than a dozen 3/4'' drum cable couplers fail. they either fail to rotate, fail to open, or just wear out and come undone.

the 7/8'' coupler is a whole lot beefier than the 3/4'' drum connector. much more metal and surface area contact than the drum design.

rick.
                      I cut off the Ridgid 3/4 female ends and put a spartan style end that uses a roll pin that requires a punch to knock it out. I never been a huge fan of the screw driver end that Ridgid came out with. I had them fail after one rod job before.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Been waiting in the wings! Now You're talking weld Fab,ABOUT TIME!

Think Allum.! Use designs already out there,YOU HAVE. come out with a ez secure, fast
                        lock tray for the K-60 , and Maybe some tool or equept. holders on the Aum.tray holder ,or tri stand legs. Know the perfect,full time TIG welder to price these.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

rick.

yeah, the 7/8 pin failed, I on the other hand havenever had a spartan cplg fail. never.

any way to trepair the pins on the 7/8?? or just toss the cable.....not worth going through the trouble?
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

robert, they sell replacement male couplers and are cheaper than a whole new cable if the rest of the cable is still fine.

you could try soaking it in penetrating oil and see if it releases. only the 5/8'' have stuck on me. 1 i fixed and 2 were bad.

replacing the male coupler is pretty straight forward. not sure if mckinney stocks the coupler, but the repair takes a couple minutes and is held on by a tack weld.

i use a die grinder to cut off the old weld or clean square cut the cable.

the coupler screws on is then tacked to the cable.

if you have a bad cable, salvage the end and toss the cable.

nice thing about sections is your only out a 7.5' or 15' piece when you run into a problem one.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

bill, start off first with a folding pipe tri-stand. this will already have the tripod design. toss the top "v" or roller guide away for future pipe work. then all you need to do is fabricate the k-60 holder and pin it in to secure.

i don't see a need for a swivel up and down. but i do like the telescoping feature of the stand.

i've hed no problem strapping it to an a frame ladders top. then working from the ladder.

i too use the foot method when needed. just look at my milkshake video

next time you come visit, i'll take you to my metal shop class

rick.
                              See? I don't even have to use my own brain anymore to come up with stuff.

I'll just use Ricks brain from now on

Comment

bill i did look around the swap meet today for a tripod stand. no luck.

but i did find some canopy tent 1.375'' corner brackets that could work.

honestly, the folding design will be better than the welded fixed position one.

looks like tool is providing the welding

i have class this week and who knows, i might just surprise you with a unit

that's a unit to copy and not to give away

now you know when i make it, it will put the k-60 at the top of the pack where it deserves to be

what did you doubt me

it already is

rick.

i'll give joey the prints and measurements when she shows up in 2 weeks.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X