K-60 versus the 5# Box of Grits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 versus the 5# Box of Grits

The call last evening was for a jammed disposal and kitchen sink stoppage. I'm thinking a 5 minute service call with an allen wrench to unjam the disposal. Then I walk out the hero... Wrong!

Rick called as I pulled up to the house must have been a bad omen.

Ants had found their way into a box of grits stored in the pantry. The nanny decides to wash it down the drain instead of just putting it in the trash To compound the situation, she uses a plunger when it stops up

Several hours had passed before I arrived. The grits had already turn to stone. So much in fact, that the recently new 3/4 hp disposal had tripped the reset button.

45 minutes dropping the disposal and chipping out the grits from the chamber, disposal 90 and trap. I had hoped it didn't make it's way into the waste arm. Wrong, again.

Tried every head on a 5/8" cable with the k60. After an hour I had cleaned out about 12 inches of the waste arm. The process consisted of pushing the worm auger as hard as I could to 'drill' into the grits. The consistancy was about the same as modeling clay. The auger and open wound cable would fill up and I'd pull back to scrape the grits off. I was certain I was going to get the cable caught or break the PVC pipe back in the wall while pulling it back out.

In the end, the battle was pretty much a stalemate. The line is open but I was only able to poke a hole. The walls of the pipe are still coated in corn concrete. I'm pretty sure early americans used this cement to build adobe huts. A repipe of the drain is out of the question.

Any chance a jetter would work here with better results?

Man, my arms are sore this morning

Re: K-60 versus the 5# Box of Grits

crack, i would have traded you if i knew what i was walking into yesterday.

not to get too far off subject, a jetter is the way to go now as as you have it flowing.

use a forward jet to keep it open and let it rip. how far of a distance did you have to fight?

can you put the microdrain and get a look or distance?

jetting with plastic will come out spotless. plus they'll even feed you while you jet.

so before i start, wanna swap war stories

i knew i was in trouble as i was driving to the job 25 miles from home on a sight unseen sewer inspection. remember i told you my sprinter was showing 109f on the dash readout. it was right

fortunately my inspection was done under a shaded patio awning. unfortunately it was an all metal awning that acted as a radiant heater.

so hot that 1/2 way through my inspection, my recorder decided to freeze up i wish i froze up too

no problem as i have more than 1 recorder in the truck

meanwhile joey is calling to find out why i was in the valley and our bbq was starting at 6.

got it done and ii was glad to bail out the prospective new home owner as there was 40' of orangeburg pipe that had issues.

called mark to cry and he was couped up in his house with the mercury outside showing 112f and brenda was in vegas at 116

stop your crying crack, or i'll send joey over to do a boys job

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

hahahaha, the hottest it got here yesterday was 84. Bill, did you try the 4 bladed cutter?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yea, that was my first choice Ben

No go

To get the snake in the line I would have to displace some grits and that just wasn't happening

I don't know why Rick thinks that some stupid camera job was harder than my grits grapple

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Yea, that was my first choice Ben

No go

To get the snake in the line I would have to displace some grits and that just wasn't happening

I don't know why Rick thinks that some stupid camera job was harder than my grits grapple
          What,are you kidding?
          Rick can make tieing his shoes sound like a major undertaking,he's a showman.
          That's one of the reasons we love him so much

That and he can take it as well as he can dish it out.

Comment

I love my 4 blade cutter.I modified it to make a bastard size for clearing that hard,black,concrete like whaddya call it stuff that solidifies in a backgrading line that someone had been marinating in draino for the past decade.

That 600 rpm high speed spin kept the blade from digging in too deep.Took a while.Just kept "honing" till I got to full bore.

Comment

I just can't understand why the lady didn't just put the box in a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it away.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I just can't understand why the lady didn't just put the box in a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it away.
                And once the Ridgid mensa members solve this conundrum they can fix this economy so I can get back to my jungle.

Comment

I ran into a similar problem with pasta. It doen't congeal so it was easier to clean.
                  Attached Files

Comment

rice is a very common problem here too.

the only one that i had that didn't work was when they dropped in crystal drano. it hardened like concrete.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

The absolute best for sink lines is potato peels. Nothing like peels going through a garbage disposer to stop up a line.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        The absolute best for sink lines is potato peels. Nothing like peels going through a garbage disposer to stop up a line.
                        ben i know you were making potato salad saturday.

did you have a k-60 moment

you know i would work for food. should have called me and i could have brought out the original impressionator

i was only miles form the border both saturday and sunday.

you make the salad and i'll make the shake

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

My mom owned a small apartment complex and I worked the maintenance for a while.

We had some goober that used one of those juicer machines to get carrot juice. He put all of the left over fiber down the disposal. Since he was an upstairs tenant, the clog affected the downstairs tenant.

It backed up in their kitchen sink and overflowed over the countertop and onto the kitchen floor. Orange water and fibers floating everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            peole are people that couldn't get to the potty in time and wet themselves

used in a sentence it would read,

dam joey didn't supply enough potties and i just peoled on myself

rick.
                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            ben i know you were making potato salad saturday.

did you have a k-60 moment

you know i would work for food. should have called me and i could have brought out the original impressionator

i was only miles form the border both saturday and sunday.

you make the salad and i'll make the shake

rick.
                            Sigh....... should've stopped while you were ahead. you have to work up to having 2 good jokes in one week.

Great idea for your roundup video, you made your choclate shake last year. Why don't you make some mash potatoes this year. I think a spiral blade would be best in this application.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Why don't you make some mash potatoes this year. I think a spiral blade would be best in this application.
                              That would be too close to cooking and Rick doesn't cook!
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X