K-60 overheating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 overheating?

It seems that every time I use my k-60, the thermal reset on the motor trips. I used it today in an attic and the machine quit. I waited three hours to use it again and it worked for five minutes and quit. My k-50 never had a problem with any lines. The machine isn't bogging down too much but it just doesn't want to work like I think it should. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Everyone on here raves about this machine so I am wondering if I have a bad one.

Re: K-60 overheating?

Are you using an extension cord? If so what gage is it and how long is it? My brother had the same issue using an under sized extension cord for over 100 foot long. The under voltage causes the windings in the motor to over heat and once that happened the damage was done.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

This morning I used a 50 foot 10 gauge cord. I don't think the k 60 could pull enough to be affected by that cord. Other times I have used a 100 foot 12 gauge cord. Never had this type of problem running any other tools or with the K 50.

Comment

Mine was acting up when I first bought it(used).When it was put under a load it would shut off.Turned out to be a clutch alignment problem.Rick and Josh figured it out in the garage while dinner was cookin'.
        Been workin' like a good mule since.

Wookie's was acting up at first.
        I can't remember what was stalling his.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Mine was acting up when I first bought it(used).When it was put under a load it would shut off.Turned out to be a clutch alignment problem.Rick and Josh figured it out in the garage while dinner was cookin'.
          Been workin' like a good mule since.

Wookie's was acting up at first.
          I can't remember what was stalling his.
          I am sorry you have a K-60.. I mean Wow you got a K-60 too?

Comment

Originally posted by sewerratz View Post
            i am sorry you have a k-60.. I mean wow you got a k-60 too?

Comment

Adam did bring up a valid point, make sure the chuck is properly aligned. Any kind of bind can cause the same symptoms.

One other question does it do this on different outlets? Or just the job in the attic. Some improperly installed electrical can cause an under voltage as well.

Comment

One other point. Make sure the bearings in the front are moving freely. Sometimes if you stow it in an upright position the water and grime sits on the front of it and gets into the bearings and can gunk em up.

Josh

Comment

It has overheated on different outlets not just the on in the attic. It also did it the first time I used it so I don't think it is water sitting on the clutch but I will check it later today. It hasn't been used but 4 times and each time it has had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by goebelquality View Post
                    It has overheated on different outlets not just the on in the attic. It also did it the first time I used it so I don't think it is water sitting on the clutch but I will check it later today. It hasn't been used but 4 times and each time it has had a problem.
                    bring it in for service. it's brand new.

could be as simple as the belt being too tight.could be a bad thermal overload.

the service center should be able to get you up and running.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      One other point. Make sure the bearings in the front are moving freely. Sometimes if you stow it in an upright position the water and grime sits on the front of it and gets into the bearings and can gunk em up.

Josh
                      I bought a K-50 cheap because the person did not realize that the gunk can build up on the inside around the gears. Was at a garage sale guy had a K-50 sitting there for 50 bucks. Guy said he had it for 10 years worked great but it needed a new motor. I bought it took it home cleaned it up and it works perfect now.

Thanks for pointing this out about the K-60's Never would of thought it would of been an issue, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Comment

The bad thing with sending it to a service center is that there are none close. I have to ship the machine off to somewhere and wait a week or two to see it again. I had hoped for a simple quick fix but I really knew better.

Comment

if you have an amp meter, then you can see if the motor is drawing too many amps.

adams k-60 had a jaw/ clutch that wasn't properly centered and did the same thing.

unless you know what to look for, you'll have to send it in. out here, there are plenty of service centers. truthfully, i would rather mail it for $25 than to waste the day driving back and forth.

typically they will mail it back to you on their dime. call ahead and get a lead time. make sure they have the parts/ motor to repair your k-60. some dealers do and some don't.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X