X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ficus maximus and the k-60

so in case you didn't already know, out here i run into a lot of ficus roots

these are 2 different jobs i did yesterday and today with the mighty k-60

the first one was last snaked by me on 8/25/08 and i had noted the root issue at 74' back then. ran 7/8'' c-10 innercore on the first section with a 3'' spiral rootsaw and then followed it up with the 4''x 3'' offset cutter. i hit the ficus roots at 74' again and continued to 90' at the saddle connection.
    the 4'' cleanout runs to the sidewalk then joining up to the 6'' lateral where the roots were cut.

this was done as a preventative cleaning as it's been over 16 months since i last cleaned it.

the job today was a stoppage and that too was similar. the 4'' c/o runs to the 6'' lateral and i cleared that at 28' in just like i did on 8/6/08. 17 months ago

spiral rootsaw will get it open and the 4''x 3'' offset blade will clean it up. we typically never see anything larger than a 4'' cleanout and all of our laterals are 6''.

rick.

the ficus that is most likely the root of the problem.

makes my sprinter look tiny.

first pass with my 3'' root saw. you can see how the open wind acts as an auger too. this is the innercore section.

not a bad catch of the day.

the spiral saw still connected and the 4'' x 3'' waiting it's turn for lunch.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Ficus maximus and the k-60

OK Rick, I have to say I don't follow your logic here.

I know you have drum machines, an easy way to load/unload them, and the skill to do an equal job with them.

This is a scheduled job with a roll up cleanout. Why wouldn't you use the drum here?

If you like the sectional that's fine, but it is some extra work.

Why not the jetter? Looks like concrete drives & maybe some street parking.

Just curious...

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i guess i forgot to mention that the one from yesterday/ the preventative one was also a 3'' c/o on the side yard that the drum would have to be carried up some steps and squeezed between the gas meter and the gate.

i used to do it that way a few years ago, but the sectional is much faster when you include the loading and unloading of the machine.

the other day i had a 3'' c/o with a 4'' main into a 6'' lateral. i took the 1065 to give it a test run. i spent more time trying to get it around the basketball court than it would take me to do it with the k-60. then i still had to fight the 6'' line as i had to run it 2 times just to clear it. it was at the 77' mark as per my last time i ran it. the machine with the 3'' brand new cutter just wouldn't cut it. it was more of a torque game than a high speed cutting game. i thought i could just plow through it, and that wasn't happening.

even the house keeper made a comment about it. she said last time i used a machine i hand carried in and was done much faster

the 1065 is at my shop for good as i tried it for a few days and i'm still convinced that the k-60 is the machine for me plus it takes up the least amount of truck space too.

rick.

had to remove the padding to get the machine sideways and drag it between the planter and the basketball post.

3'' lawn cleanout 77' to city 6'' saddle in the alley.

i started to remove the netting, but the bottom straps were too hard to get to.

not a bad backyard setup.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Get rid of the 1065. I'll give you 700 for it.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

why, so you can sell it instead of me

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

We very rarely sell any of our machines. My dad always gets guys that are retiring and such selling him their machines, thats how we ended up with so many. Sadly my dad tried to trust a couple subcontractors and lend them a 1065 so they can run calls for us out in the fringe counties, well one guy disappeared and the other is in jail and his girlfriend wont let us get our machine back off his truck.

I do not know why my dad did this. I mean in the past he never lent anything out, he always rented it for a reasonable fee and had them sign an invoice saying so. Guess he finally met a pair of guys that knew what buttons to push to make him trust them.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Get rid of the 1065. I'll give you 700 for it.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Hey Rick I will hapilly take the 1065 off your hands

Comment

Remember statistics

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                Hey Rick I will hapilly take the 1065 off your hands

The Spartan 1065 is the most commonly bought drum machine for large organizations like colleges, large businesses or corporations, school systems and other large entities like hospitals because of their value of application without heavy labor added into the task.

You bring any sectional to the 8th floor of a hospital to clear a drain and you'll be greeted with a free ticket to leave. Too dangerous for germ transfer and a slew of other considerations in regards to containing the bad stuff, especially in an enviornment such as that. Daycares and grade schools both express this sentiment.

I appreciate the machine to know it started my back injuries...so I went with the step below, the 300 with interchangeable 100 drum. My smallest machine, my 180 is getting all the love lately. Have to use it tomorrow as well. YES!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Awesome post of the 1065 with the basketball net!!

Im sure you just slipped right buy with the k-60

Comment

My 1065 rocks with the saw blade for 1st pass then use the standard c-cutters for finishing up the line. I don't really like the spartan blades they are kinda week, but they are cheap.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I use the spartan 2" blade to get the line open then go to the 3", 4" then squeeze in the 6" if needed.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                      X