Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 Torque direction change?

I was banging away on a sewer today and thought I noticed this:

When the K-60 would bind and load up, I'm talking BIND where you really build up the torque in the cable.

When I would get the torque just about to the point I wanted to let up it felt like the K-60 actually reversed direction on me and released the torque???

Am I imagining this???

Re: K-60 Torque direction change?

That is what they do?!?

i have know idea why they do that................RICK WILL KNOW

Comment

That is common even with the K-1500 units. The torque is getting great enough to reverse the direction of the motor. The capacitor type motors can be reversed if their is enough force. Where the A/C type motors that they use on the K7500 the more you try to stop it the more current it will draw to keep trying to turn.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

my model c eel does this if i have been rodding for a while i always thought it was because it gets hot

Comment

it will only do this if you load the machine to the point of stalling the motor and then release the clutch.

the built up energy will spin the motor in reverse and actually act as the starting windings. thus causing the motor to run the opposite direction.

the running windings don't know the difference in the direction of rotation.

look at some of the old time drills that you actually rotated the brushes 1/4 turn to switch the rotation of the motor.

i probably clear 30% of my drains in the reverse direction and have never damaged a cable doing so. the spiral root saw is an awesome cutter running in reverse. this will grab and tear roots that otherwise couldn't be cut.

my reverse auger is the best secret weapon cutter i have. it only cuts in reverse and is my go to cutter when all else fails

funny as the 1065 i picked up last week only has a momentary contact reverse switch. you have to hold the switch to keep it in reverse

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            it will only do this if you load the machine to the point of stalling the motor and then release the clutch.

the built up energy will spin the motor in reverse and actually act as the starting windings. thus causing the motor to run the opposite direction.

the running windings don't know the difference in the direction of rotation.

look at some of the old time drills that you actually rotated the brushes 1/4 turn to switch the rotation of the motor.

i probably clear 30% of my drains in the reverse direction and have never damaged a cable doing so. the spiral root saw is an awesome cutter running in reverse. this will grab and tear roots that otherwise couldn't be cut.

my reverse auger is the best secret weapon cutter i have. it only cuts in reverse and is my go to cutter when all else fails

funny as the 1065 i picked up last week only has a momentary contact reverse switch. you have to hold the switch to keep it in reverse

rick.
            Rick, it will reverse without letting off the clutch if you get enough torque into the cable (This is what was happening to me ).

I was stuck at a bad joint for about 15 minutes and that is the reason I was banging on it that hard

Comment

if you get enough torque to stall the motor, it can use the stored up spring torque to spin it backwards.

the motor will continue to spin in the direction it was forced.

if you let up on the clutch before it gets too tightly wound up, it will continue in the direction it was set on.

nothing wrong going in reverse. just remember most blades are not sharpened on the opposite side. the spiral saw is a great cutter in both directions.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

My blades are sharpened on just about every facet that can be sharpened

I have a special Sharktooth cutter that I have made just for Soft stoppages that will normally clog a cuttter or retriever I have learned that too sharp of a blade can also cause some issues (hang-ups in PVC and Orangeberg since the really sharp cutters tend to bite into the softer pipes).

Take a Sharktooth and Razor sharpen it. This cutter using the K-60's high RPM's will act as a blender chopping up babywipes and white mice, No more pulling back the cutter or retriever to clean it off for me

A drum just does not have enough RPM's to do this

Comment

Working...
                X