How to keep the job site clean with a K60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep the job site clean with a K60

I have been using my K60 for about a year now and I love it. I try using it whenever possible because I love the power and ability to feel the stoppages.

Of course one of the draw backs is the mess it makes when pulling the cable back, especially when running cold water. Where I live the cleanouts are indoors 100% of the time. Sometimes in finished basements with carpets.

I have tried many things to keep things clean however I am interested in knowing what others do to keep the mess down.

Do you use a front guide pipe? Tarps? Tape and cardboard? Are you using a tire for the cable, if so what size?

If you have pictures please post, it would be awesome to see your setups.

Re: How to keep the job site clean with a K60

I use drop cloths (10 oz with a vinyl liner), they are washable and waterproof ( I think I bought them @ Sherwin Williams).

Indoors I use Drum machines, my sectionals stay outdoors

Comment

Get the K-60 to run 1 1/4 eel cable and I'll buy one.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
        Get the K-60 to run 1 1/4 eel cable and I'll buy one.
        Rothenberger 750.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Rothenberger 750.

J.C.

Darn it forgot about that. Ron SewerRatz told me that to about 3 months ago. I was going to look for a used one and totally forgot to. Thanks for reminding me.
          I need it for some of the basements here are very low and a drum machine won't fit.
          Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-28-2010, 04:50 PM.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

A K-7500 will solve all your problems...
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Thats what I sm beginning to think, a 7500 might be in the cards. My last drum machine was a general speed rooter 91. I found it difficult to take the drum off the machine. How does a 7500 compare, is it easy to remove the drum?

Comment

the key to keeping it clean is to wash it and spin dry it.

very simple once you clear the line, run plenty of water to help wash it as you spin the cable at 625rpm. the water will wash and the rpm will sling it dry.

disconnect from the k-60 and pull out into a tray, like a mortar tray or those 2 handle keg plastic tubs. pull the cable out as much as you can without running the machine. only run if you're stuck.

since the cable is open wind, there shouldn't be much moisture trapped inside.

i know it's never fun when the line is still plugged and you're still full of waste water. the key is to clear the line first

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dicat View Post
                  Thats what I sm beginning to think, a 7500 might be in the cards. My last drum machine was a general speed rooter 91. I found it difficult to take the drum off the machine. How does a 7500 compare, is it easy to remove the drum?
                  not something you really want to do inside.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    not something you really want to do inside.

rick.
                    Enlighten me...

Why Not?
                    Is there something hard about removing a 1/2"-13 X 6" bolt?
                    I have found that using a wrench instead of your fingers makes it easy...

The rest is even easier!

Oh by the way I wheel the empty machine outside using it as a hand truck to carry in the new drum...
                    It doubles as a hand truck...
                    Last edited by Redwood; 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM.
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I just cleared a 4" main through an inside cleanout yesterday with my K60. I put down a plastic tarp at the end of the guide hose. I also put a small tarp below the actual machine. I rinsed and spin dried the cable as Rick described and just dealt with it section by section in and out of the basket.

Why didn't I use my K750? It hardly ever gets used over my k60 - it is just too damn heavy. And when I finally did use it to attempt to clear a nasty ficus root issue my k60 couldn't handle the other day I promptly broke the 3/4" I/C cable. It was the 4th job I used that cable/machine on. Very disappointed with the cable quality by the way - shouldn't have snapped so easily. So really this a separate issue.

I have never damaged a k-60 cable ever. I can feel the stoppage and control it so much better. I can stop spinning the cable instantly and even then the torque of the motor is not strong enough to break the cable.

Still, does it make me uncomfortable to use a sectional machine inside someones house with carpet. Of course! I had to be careful.

This particular job would have been hell with the 3/4" drum machine anyway - small toilet room with cleanout next to toilet. Would have had 2-3 feet of cable between machine and cleanout and on a bend. If things got out of hand with the cable - good bye toilet! Plenty of room to work with k60 in that small space.

Oh- did I mention how the the drum cable bit my hand when it broke. Wow, violent is understatement and it barely touched me! Never been bit by my K60!

So now you all know what camp I'm in.
                      Last edited by Dakota; 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                        I just cleared a 4" main through an inside cleanout yesterday with my K60. I put down a plastic tarp at the end of the guide hose. I also put a small tarp below the actual machine. I rinsed and spin dried the cable as Rick described and just dealt with it section by section in and out of the basket.

Why didn't I use my K750? It hardly ever gets used over my k60 - it is just too damn heavy. And when I finally did use it to attempt to clear a nasty ficus root issue my k60 couldn't handle the other day I promptly broke the 3/4" I/C cable. It was the 4th job I used that cable/machine on. Very disappointed with the cable quality by the way - shouldn't have snapped so easily. So really this a separate issue.

I have never damaged a k-60 cable ever. I can feel the stoppage and control it so much better. I can stop spinning the cable instantly and even then the torque of the motor is not strong enough to break the cable.

Still, does it make me uncomfortable to use a sectional machine inside someones house with carpet. Of course! I had to be careful.

This particular job would have been hell with the 3/4" drum machine anyway - small toilet room with cleanout next to toilet. Would have had 2-3 feet of cable between machine and cleanout and on a bend. If things got out of hand with the cable - good bye toilet! Plenty of room to work with k60 in that small space.

Oh- did I mention how the the drum cable bit my hand when it broke. Wow, violent is understatement and it barely touched me! Never been bit my K60!

So now you all know what camp I'm in.
                        This is why the k-60 would never be my main root machine.
                        So you all Know what camp I'm not in
                        But the K-60 does look like a useful machine for tight spots.
                        Rod

Comment

Talked to my electrician/friend today.

He's gonna' see if he can get me some 1.25" metal-lined-liquidtite about 30' long.

Won't be cheap but should make a good guide hose that I can run out of most houses, help keep the roof in better shape, and not wrap the award winning fern from the yard into the open wind.

J.C.

Comment

What's wrong with the guide tube it comes with??
                            To short? Not flexible enough?
                            Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                              What's wrong with the guide tube it comes with??
                              To short? Not flexible enough?
                              I use a General Wire I95. I assume similar. I think the guide hose is about 10' long. Have to measure to be sure.

That's fine but I would prefer a longer one. I'm thinking of modifying the liquidtite to be like the 1500 guide hose. Opening so that the next joint can be loaded from the rear of the machine.

We'll see what kind of Dremel butchering I can do.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X