i lost my balls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i lost my balls

i guess it was finally time to service my tool. first my spring went limp then my balls were lost

i knew i had a problem

the noise was unbearable and i lacked power

so time to take things apart and service my k-60

what can i say. i wore it into the ground, but fortunately it was a cheap fix and she's purring again

had to change out the main bearing in the pulley assembly. important to locktite the id of the bearing where it attaches to the shaft to prevent the inner race from spinning on the shaft.

pretty simple repair with minimal tools to service the bearing.

there's a second identical bearing that i didn't replace that's located on the idler cone and adjustment cap.

while i was at it, i changed the clutch as it was worn to the point that it no longer would grip 5/8'' cable.

not bad for a machine i bought used from a rental department over 4 years ago

rick.

notice the 1 ball bearing left remaining. how about the inner bearing race that was chipped off.

new bearing and clutch waiting to go in.

pulley where the bearing gets pressed in. a 2'' pipece of abs/ pvc pipe makes a great punch to hammer the bearing in.

the finished bearing. make sure to apply locktite to the inner race when you finish the final assembly. this secures it to the shaft and prevents spinning on the shaft.

almost finished. this is where the clutch will ride against.

new clutch loaded in the housing. tighten the adjustment to help center it and keep it alinged.

very important to have the clutch centered prior to screwing in the rear adjusting ring. the adjuster goes in from the inside, but i show the centering of the cone.

a pretty simple repair, using a 1/4'' allen wrench, brake cleaner, ball pein hammer and punch and drift. and locktite. the trade # for the bearing is a 6206.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: i lost my balls

Even the best machines need TLC, and maintenance repairs.
    I had a tough main line stoppage yesterday, still whipped it with
    my trusty Williams 1500 machine 1/2 cable. Topped it with the
    13/16" mainline cable. In the back of my mind I was thinking
    man I could see a Ridgid #60 machine for this. Rooftop mainline
    stoppage older house 3" cast iron vent access. No outside cleanout
    access owner retired nurse widow, first thoughts were seems like
    a typical paper stoppages, tried and struggled with pulling out the
    1/2" cable ran in reverse for awhile, chucking and fighting finally
    breaking free. Good 1 hr in this battle, must hit the stoppage in
    60 ft,

Comment

and here i thought it Jo Jo got mad at you for what she is going through and cut them off of you
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I'm surprised you actually had time to work on Friday! When I left for work you were sleeping. When I called you in the middle of the day I caught you at home napping!
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          and here i thought it Jo Jo got mad at you for what she is going through and cut them off of you
          remember that's joey and not lorena bobbit

did i ever tell you about the time i met john wayne bobbit
          rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, et all who may have attempted this repair before:

I'm attempting the same repair and I'm having trouble getting at the bearing in the pulley assembly.

What did you use to remove the pulley assembly from the shaft?

I can't tell from your photos, if you removed the Drive cone from the pulley assembly at any point?

Also, the handle on my machine does not spring back to the upright (disengaged) position. It stays in whatever position you leave it in.

I added grease at the fitting under the handle, but the problem persists.

I'd really like to do this myself, but I've never worked on the K-60 before, only my K-50 and KM-1500's.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

-Chris

Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              Rick, et all who may have attempted this repair before:

I'm attempting the same repair and I'm having trouble getting at the bearing in the pulley assembly.

What did you use to remove the pulley assembly from the shaft?

my bearing was stuck in the pulley and not the shaft. you're suppose to loctite the inner race to the shaft. but mine was stuck on the od race in the pulley. no real way to hammer it out as i couldn't get a good angle on the punch. but a little heat and that bearing just about fell out

I can't tell from your photos, if you removed the Drive cone from the pulley assembly at any point?

no need to. but the bearing in the adjustable cap was fine. i've changed that last time and it too is a drift punch.

Also, the handle on my machine does not spring back to the upright (disengaged) position. It stays in whatever position you leave it in.

there are 2 springs and a washer type assembly. make sure the springs are still attached and the washer is not gouged. steel wool or even some emery cloth will clean up that shaft. then it can be lubed.

I added grease at the fitting under the handle, but the problem persists.

I'd really like to do this myself, but I've never worked on the K-60 before, only my K-50 and KM-1500's.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

-Chris

chris, it's a pretty simple repair as there are only a handful of parts and really just the 2 bearings and possibly the clutch ever need replacing.

take a few digital photos as you disassemble for reference. then you can also post some photos for help if you need to.

the bearings are available at the auto parts house for around $20. each.

have some rags to clean everything off and other than a few allen wrenches , an open end wrench and hammer, drift, and some locktite. it's all basic tools. the bearing can be tapped back in with a piece of 2'' pvc/ abs as a punch.

clean it up and post the before and after photos

rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

here is the link to the parts breakdown

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B12B3AF...Machine_PL.pdf

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Got it worked out. Just took a little extra persuasion to get the pulley assembly off. I used brake cleaner on the shaft and it cleaned right up. It was just frozen in gunk.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

was there much play in the old bearings?

was the clutch evenly worn?

belt tension adjusted properly?

should be running like a charm now

pictures

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Didn't have time or energy for pictures. it's way too hot here. 90 degrees and so humid you can swim through it.....and my shop garage isn't air conditioned.

The clutch was worn pretty even. but there were a couple of nicks in it. The set screw for the motor/belt tension is frozen. I zapped it with brake cleaner and will zap it one more time to see if i could get it to move freely.

Not sure how much tension there is supposed to be on the belt? There seems to be just enough tension where it's set now.

The bearings were actually not too bad, just kinda gummed up a bit.

The gunk on the shaft was pretty bad. After cleaning it, the handle springs back like it should now.

The biggest pain (aside from removing the pulley assembly) was changing the cord. I installed a larger gauge 25' cord (12 gauge) and I had a bit of a hassle getting it through the plastic compression fitting that secures the cord to the machine. The cord that came with mime was pretty gnarly and looked like it was on it's 2nd or third plug.

I'll try to find my camera and take some pictures of the old parts.....I'm just really swamped right now.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

chris, i hope you still have a gfci on the line cord. otherwise buy the gfci adapter plug and use it

glad to hear you got it all cleaned up. it should purr nicely

i rarely ever unwind my factory cord. i use a 12 gauge x 50' triple tap cord for most everything. at 1 time i was able to buy them at costco for $20. with the tri end built in.

now they don't carry them out here

have fun with the k-60. you'll soon learn why we all praise the little machine that can

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

What's all this talk about rebuilding small sectional machines.

My General I95 just keeps going, and going, and going.....

J.C.
                          Attached Files

Comment

jc, remember i bought mine used and put on hundreds of cleanings on it before i needed anything. i wore it so down it only had 1 ball and the clutch wouldn't grip 5/8'' anymore.

don't worry i also have the i95 and the root 66 as my back ups. not to mention 2 new k-60's waiting to break out of the box

my original/ bought used k-60 is the real eveready bunny

she never lets her brothers out to play

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                              Not sure how much tension there is supposed to be on the belt? There seems to be just enough tension where it's set now.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Training-Videos/index.htm
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X