i guess it was finally time to service my tool. first my spring went limp then my balls were lost
i knew i had a problem
the noise was unbearable and i lacked power
so time to take things apart and service my k-60
what can i say. i wore it into the ground, but fortunately it was a cheap fix and she's purring again
had to change out the main bearing in the pulley assembly. important to locktite the id of the bearing where it attaches to the shaft to prevent the inner race from spinning on the shaft.
pretty simple repair with minimal tools to service the bearing.
there's a second identical bearing that i didn't replace that's located on the idler cone and adjustment cap.
while i was at it, i changed the clutch as it was worn to the point that it no longer would grip 5/8'' cable.
not bad for a machine i bought used from a rental department over 4 years ago
notice the 1 ball bearing left remaining. how about the inner bearing race that was chipped off.
new bearing and clutch waiting to go in.
pulley where the bearing gets pressed in. a 2'' pipece of abs/ pvc pipe makes a great punch to hammer the bearing in.
the finished bearing. make sure to apply locktite to the inner race when you finish the final assembly. this secures it to the shaft and prevents spinning on the shaft.
almost finished. this is where the clutch will ride against.
new clutch loaded in the housing. tighten the adjustment to help center it and keep it alinged.
very important to have the clutch centered prior to screwing in the rear adjusting ring. the adjuster goes in from the inside, but i show the centering of the cone.
a pretty simple repair, using a 1/4'' allen wrench, brake cleaner, ball pein hammer and punch and drift. and locktite. the trade # for the bearing is a 6206.