X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest 6" run?

For you guys who use the 7/8" IC cable, what is the longest run of 6" that you've cabled?

I'm looking at using the K-60 for inside cleanouts/tight spaces/crawls/ occasional roof vent. Nearly all of the lines in my area transition to 6" clay once the line leaves the house for a run of 30'-40'.

Marvin (rod man) thinks I'm nuts for even considering this.

I'm sure SewerRatz will too!

Looking for your thoughts and experiences with the C-10 IC or equivalent set up.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Longest 6" run?

I cabled a 6" clay line 160' with the k-60

the first 75' were with general innercore cable and the rest was with the regular open wound cable it started to strain the machine around 130' or so

Even though it worked i try to only run about 100ft or so with the k-60

I save the long ones for the root killer! 1 HP electric eel!

Comment

I have a few sections of IC and have dropped into 6".

I shy away from 6" with the K-60 unless it is a known soft stoppage issue.

No way would I want to tangle with a 6" root job with the K-60 unless I had absolutely no choice.

I know it is a bear but the K1500 is the only safe way to attack 6"

Could a jetter be an option for you?

Bill

Comment

I dont understand why the cable is so week It is bigger than drum cable and if you are using ic then you have both. And the K-60 is only 100 rpm less than 1500 and twice that of a drum.I guess I will just have to get in to it with some roots with the k-60 in 6" to know?

Comment

the c-10 and c-10ic/ innercore are basically the same cable. except the innercore makes it a stiffer less flexible cable. this helps limit the possibility of flipping a cable. the innercore is not attached and is free floating inside the cable.

my typically 6'' run from a 4'' line is usually 40-50'. it goes 6'' from the sidewalk to the middle of the street in general.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            For you guys who use the 7/8" IC cable, what is the longest run of 6" that you've cabled?

I'm looking at using the K-60 for inside cleanouts/tight spaces/crawls/ occasional roof vent. Nearly all of the lines in my area transition to 6" clay once the line leaves the house for a run of 30'-40'.

Marvin (rod man) thinks I'm nuts for even considering this.

I'm sure SewerRatz will too!

Looking for your thoughts and experiences with the C-10 IC or equivalent set up.

Thanks,

Chris
            Chris, I ran a Rothenberger with 150' of the 7/8 cable for about a year. All was going great till that one day the cable turned around on itself in the 6" line. I would not do it.. Get a machine that is small in footprint that can spin your 1 1/4 cables. Oh and if they do not have a proper clean out and only access is the roof vent.. sell them a clean out. Stay off the roof.
            Last edited by SewerRatz; 04-27-2010, 05:25 AM.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

okiebill is right the 1500 is the 6" machine. (it has a hard time getting on a roof).

BUT......pound for pound there is no better machine on the market than the k-60!! With innercore cables it will handle mild to medium roots well! TRUST ME!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jhplumbing; 04-27-2010, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Chris, I ran a Rothenberger with 150' of the 7/8 cable for about a year. All was going great till that one day the cable turned around on itself in the 6" line. I would not do it.. Get a machine that is small in footprint that can spin your 1 1/4 cables. Oh and if they do not have a proper clean out and only access is the roof vent.. sell them a clean out. Stay off the roof.
                See, that's my fear too. However, I've seen 1.25" cable turn around in 6" too. Thank the lord it hasn't happened to me yet. (knock, knock on wood). I like the Rothenberger 750, but it's still a big machine and getting into tight spaces is the whole idea.

The only roof vents I do are apartment buildings and commercial flat roofs where it's the only option and the company or 12+ families are counting on me to get the line open ASAP. I agree though, outside C/O is usually recommended for residential single fam. I don't tangle with roofs that have any kind of pitch.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                the c-10 and c-10ic/ innercore are basically the same cable. except the innercore makes it a stiffer less flexible cable. this helps limit the possibility of flipping a cable. the innercore is not attached and is free floating inside the cable.

my typically 6'' run from a 4'' line is usually 40-50'. it goes 6'' from the sidewalk to the middle of the street in general.

rick.

That's about the longest I would hope to have to go into 6". Maybe 75' max. I'd be using innercore cable only in the 6".

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I have a few sections of IC and have dropped into 6".

I shy away from 6" with the K-60 unless it is a known soft stoppage issue.

No way would I want to tangle with a 6" root job with the K-60 unless I had absolutely no choice.

I know it is a bear but the K1500 is the only safe way to attack 6"

Could a jetter be an option for you?

Bill
                I agree about the 1500 the clear obvious choice for 6" root lines. Speedy Kleeny does all of the outside cleanouts and catch basin access lines.

The K-60 is to bridge the gap between my K-50 and 1500. A lot of homes near in my area have the catch basin at the back or side of the house and the sanitary going out the front of the house. The 2 lines will tie in in the front yard, but there is often 10-20' (or more) of 6" that is sanitary only and is not accessible from the catch basin, only from a cleanout at the base of the stack (or in a crawlspace) or by pulling a toilet (or the occasional roof vent in an apartment building). Those are the situations that I would use the k-60 with IC in 6" with roots. There's also some crawlspaces around here that you just cannot get the 1500 into without chipping out the wall!

I picked up a Sewermatic 100 for these same purposes, but I really don't like using the 5/8" cable. It only holds 50' of 3/4" cable and that's just not quite enough. I had one job where the 5/8" didn't cut it so I put on the drum with the 3/4" and I came up just short of the blockage.

The portability factor of the K-60 for these situations seems a lot more convenient than I initially thought.

If I can't get the 1500 into these spots, the sewermatic probably isn't getting in there either, Even disassembled.

I like the idea of a jetter, but I don't see how I could make it work in the tight spots

Comment

i use the c-10 innercore as my 15' leader with good results.

the only time i ever had a cable flip was in a 4'' line and it was not the front. it was the third cable back and it flipped at the base of a comby and continued to feed another 15' or so just a real fluke as all the stars were in alignment that day

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...nally+happened this is the post i was referring to.

i do keep the 1.25 cable and timberwolf on the truck when i know that its a miserable 6'' stoppage. but for 90% of my 4'' cleanouts, the k-60 gets the job done

rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: link.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    Thanks for all the input guys.

See, that's my fear too. However, I've seen 1.25" cable turn around in 6" too. Thank the lord it hasn't happened to me yet. (knock, knock on wood). I like the Rothenberger 750, but it's still a big machine and getting into tight spaces is the whole idea.

I own a 750 if you ever want to see it in person give me a shout. I do have to order up a new belt and jaws for it as I did wear them out. Still does it job though.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Ron. I appreciate it.

Just ordered some 7/8" IC cable from AJ Coleman.

I'm only planning on using this rig for very specific situations. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Well if you ever want to give it a try let me know it spins the 7/8 and the 1ΒΌ cable with out any specail adjustments. If I can find the collet you snap it in the front and you can spin the 5/8 cable as well.

Comment

I had my first opportunity to use my K-60 setup yesterday.

90' run. 4" for about 15' into 6. Access was via a downspout on the back of the run. Overhead sewer backing up at the downspout.

Was kind of a tight spot, so I decided to give the 60 a go. Got out to 75' with the spear tip (4 blade) but could not get any farther. Pulled it back and nothing on the end (not even a little bit of roots. Went back in with the 3" sharktooth and got the same result. Tried the spiral cutter and still could not get past the 75' mark, but this time I pulled back a little bit of fine matted roots.

My patience was wearing thin by this point, so I packed up the 60 and brought old Speedy out. Went in with the spear tip and got the line open (after a bit of a wrestiling match at the 75' spot again) and then went back in and cleared with the T-13. Pulled back roots with a piece of a sock wrapped up in it. It must have been a root ball with the sock entangled in it. The T-13 did a nice job of cutting through the snarl. Went back in with a 4" C-cutter and got through just fine.

Maybe the K-60 just wore down that root ball enough for Speedy 1500 to come in and look like superman. The 1500 got it done, but it was more difficult wrestling the 1-1/4" cables in the tighter spot. My K-60 is used and the motor may need a tune up too. My thought was that a K-60 fresh out of the box might have had the guts to get the open. I bought a used unit as a trial to see if I liked it and how often I would use it. Didn't want to spend the money new and then end up with something that my work doesn't Still in the trial phase at this point. I've had the K-60 on the truck for about 2 weeks and this was the first opportunity that I had to use it. However, I'm still of the old "K-50 for everything inside and K-1500 for everything outside" mentality. I need to experiment and see how this machine fits into my arsenal.

My setup includes 60' of General innercore cable and 30' of Ridgid innercore. The general cable is definitely a lot stiffer. It seems that the machine has to work a lot harder to move the cable and even spin the cable period (at the clutch). Again, this may be partially due to the condition of my motor. No problems in the 6" with either (I tried using both the Ridge and the General on the front).

All in all, I think that this rig will work well for what I want to use it for.

As for indoor aps. I picked up a reel of 1-1/4" PVC flexible spa hose and cut it into 15' lengths and attached 1-1/2" X 1-1/4" fernco's on one end and a PVC cap on the other. For inside jobs I envision this being much quicker and cleaner(just grab the hose with the cable pre-loaded) and hook up to the back of the machine. I'll add a picture next time I use the rig.

That's my K-60 $.02 so far.

-Chris

Comment

Used the K-60 yesterday. 80' run of 6" clay from outlet of an old Flood Control unit. Handled like a dream. I ran 60' of general IC cable in front and 30 of Ridgid IC behind. The thing I noticed is that the machine starts to labor at about 75'. Maybe it's just the extra weight of the IC cable out in front or maybe it's just my machine. I used my extra guide tubes and it made the repeat trips out a lot quicker. I made 4 runs in about 45 minutes. That includes working a couple nasty spots.

I'll keep updating this thread with my K-60 6" experiences

-Chris

Comment

my k-60 was used. call allen j coleman @ 773-728-2400. ask about a tuneup. good people. breid.........

Comment

Working...
                              X