X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took it for a test drive

I got my K-60 I bought used on ebay in the other day and I finally had a chance to take it for a test drive. I figured I would do this at my own house on a clean out in my front yard. At first look the machine is in great shape other than normal wear and tear.

I only ran 3 sections of 7/8 cable because I know the septic tank is 60' from that clean out. I did however pull out about a dozen of those wipes I have been pulling out of drains and toilets lately. Me and my wife rent a cottage on a 30 acre property that shares the septic tank with one other cottage. I have a good idea where those wipes came from . I'll have to go talk to my neighbor before she clogs up the system and explain to her that those things are not flushable.

I did notice that the cable would stop spinning when it came up against some resistance. So I took it apart and found that Idler Cone was spinning freely in the bearing. It looks like someone had used grease on the inner race of the bearing instead of locktite. So I picked some up today and applied it. Tomorrow I will do another test run and see what else I pull out .

It does operate differently from the K-750 that I am used to in the manner that the cable does not feed it self but it does go down the pipe a lot quicker. I also love the fact that:

-The cable stops spinning when I release the clutch.
    -The open wound cable grabs things.
    -Its way, way lighter than the K-750.
    -Its very simple and quick to take apart and easy to service.

I have never used a sectional machine before so I felt like I was 16 learning how to drive a stick shift, very clumsy and cumbersome . But I have a feeling that like learning how to drive a stick shift once I get the hang of it I will never go back.

Thanks to all the enthusiastic K-60 users on the forum! With out you I would have never discovered the world of sectionals.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: Took it for a test drive

A couple weeks ago I went back to one of my first drain jobs a little more than a year ago.I was fumbling the first time around.This time...
    Full Redemption!!!

I'm so attached to this machine.

Today I just went through a full breakdown,lube and rebuild.The machine is incredibly basic in design/

Now all we need to do is get you accessorized.
    I think we put a list of necessary attachments and cables along with their model numbers.

Good for you MPM,enjoy.
    ADAM

Comment

ray, good to hear you're willing to give it a real try and learn on your own property before you go out to the paying customers

make sure that the clutch jaws are properly lined up and sitting centered in the idler cone. you can see a slight wear pattern on the outer clutch.

the bearing should be loctite on the id. onto the idler cone.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B12B3AF...Machine_PL.pdf

see page #2.

grease will not cause the machine to stall, the loctite is so it will not spin on the idler surface or get stuck on the outer adjusting ring/ cap.

make sure the belt tension is correct and the clutch is lined up. also check the inner bearing on the main pulley for play. this is the one i destroyed a couple months back. only found 1 ball left in the bearing and half the race was gone. machine still ran but had very little power as the bad bearing was stealing all the power.

i hope you enjoy the k-60 as much as me and the rest of the gang

remember if you need any hands on help, i'm just a short flight away

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Definitely need a list of good attachments Adam. When I took it apart I also cleaned & lubed everything with Breakfree CLP.
        Rick, I will definitely check the inner bearing on the main pulley. I didn't take it apart that far initially but I will tomorrow. I like to know my equipment inside and out and be comfortable using it before I take it to a paying customers house or business. If its one thing I hate it's looking unprofessional.
        Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

When I first used it, I had the same problem. Turned out the clutch wasn't tight enough. To adjust for cable size, I now put the cable in the machine and keep the handle pressed while turning the back end. I try for the 10 oclock position.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow, I mean WOW!! What a great machine. I fixed the idler cone and did another test drive today. I can't believe how quick you can snake a line 75'. I love this machine!!
            Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

ray, it only gets better

why do you think i brag about the mighty k-60

you'll see all the free space you have in your truck and all the locations you can know get your machine.

don't be affraid to invite me over to show you some trade secrets

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X