X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K60 problem

I am new to the K60 and picked up this item used. About 1/2 of the time when I push the lever to engage the cable, instead of spinning the cable feeds itself out of the machine. There doesn't seem to be too much tension on the lever, like it is bottoming out when trying to use it. Any ideas?
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: K60 problem

Do you have the SP model (like the one in the picture above) or the older suitcase model?

Does the cable spin as it's feeding out of the machine?
    if so, then maybe you need a new clutch. That's usually the sign that my K-50 is ready for a new clutch. I've only done it once on my K-60 though.

If you just bought it, I would see if you can get it into a Ridgid service shop nearby and have them look it over. The K-60 is a little bit trickier to work on than the K-50 or K-1500 IMO (and I've worked on all 3), especially if you are unfamiliar with it.

Hopefully other members will chime in.

Congrats on your new purchase too!

I bought my K-60 used and it's been the best tool investment that I've made in the last 2 years.

-Chris

Comment

bought mine used. sent it to www.allanjcoleman.com. rodman on here. good people. breid..............

Comment

either the clutch is very worn or it's not properly centered and adjusted.

very easy to get to the clutch.newer k-60 sp, just 2 allen bolts to remove. take them out and post a photo of the clutch. if it shows signs of wear with a grove cut into it, that's your problem.

with the amount of drains i've run my k-60 in, i've only replaced the clutch 1 time. the 2 main bearings will wear much faster than a clutch will. even those aren't too tricky if you have the patience.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Only half the time it spins, the other half the time it just feeds out of the machine without spinning. It seems to self-feed when it hits an obstruction or gets even the slightest bit hung-up. Once it is spinning though, it will not stop, it will only begin to self-feed after the clutch lever is disengaged and engaged again. I have had my K-50 apart before. I think it is time to tear into this one.

Comment

Think your Clutch is out of whack. They are kind of expensive, but AJ Coleman in Chicago is guaranteed to have them in stock.

Comment

It is to a point now where as soon as it hits anything that provides any resistance, it stops spinning and just self-feeds. I think I will tear into it this evening and send some pictures to the forum so you can let me know what parts I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                It is to a point now where as soon as it hits anything that provides any resistance, it stops spinning and just self-feeds. I think I will tear into it this evening and send some pictures to the forum so you can let me know what parts I need.
                Bet when you take the clutch out you will see some grooves cut in it. Time for a new clutch.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Well, the clutch came out easier than I expected. With all of the grooves, I'm guessing that is my problem. So two questions, what caused this and where can I get a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                    Well, the clutch came out easier than I expected. With all of the grooves, I'm guessing that is my problem. So two questions, what caused this and where can I get a new one?
                    Normal wear and tear. Its common on clutch type machines. Call AJ Coleman in the morning they will get you one right away.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Don't know how much AJ Coleman sells them for but ToolUp has them for $86. I doubt it will cost you much more at AJ Coleman, (including shipping you'll pay near $100 at Tool Up), but at least you have an idea of what the clutch will cost now.
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Got the new clutch from AJ Coleman today, $94 shipped. Will hopefully be buying a compact camera setup from them in the near future unless someone on here has one in good shape they want to sell. Cleared two drain with it and it works great.

Comment

Working...
                        X