X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/8 cable

Now that the k60 has retired my old green machine it was a knock off of the Gorlitz GO62 it would run both 5/8 and 1/2 inch cables.

I noticed the 5/8 kit comes with only 30 feet any issue loading a few more sections into the reel? Never used my 1/2 inch cable much. Would like to have it if the need comes but I don't want to carry two reels of 5/8?
    Also is the 5/8 guide hose smaller? Do I really need it because I have the 7/8 guide hose? Would like to carry 50+ feet If I could

Pictures of the Saltec 2400 combo what it's called incase anyone wanted to know what the green machine was I did get 15 good years of service out of it. Now I'm 37 and this machine is a PITA to break down and switch cable reels PITA to lift too because of it's a PITA to break down made it harder to load than my Big DM-55
    Picture # 3 and for 4. Picture # 4 is Much better

Attached Files
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: 5/8 cable

I carry 100' of 5/8".

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I carry 100' of 5/8".

Mark
      In one reel or two?
      Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

[QUOTE=UnClogNH;335043]Now that the k60 has retired my old green machine it was a knock off of the Gorlitz GO62 it would run both 5/8 and 1/2 inch cables.

I noticed the 5/8 kit comes with only 30 feet any issue loading a few more sections into the reel? Never used my 1/2 inch cable much. Would like to have it if the need comes but I don't want to carry two reels of 5/8?
        Also is the 5/8 guide hose smaller? Do I really need it because I have the 7/8 guide hose? Would like to carry 50+ feet If I could
        /QUOTE]

i carry 60' in the cage plus 7' of rick reverse cable. then more in the truck, but rarely need more than 67'.

the k'50 rear guide hose is smaller and if you need a rear guide hose, then make one out of 1'' pvc flex hose or 1'' yellow hdpe gas pipe. i installed a 5/16'' thumbscrew into my rear guide horn that allows me to secure the hose. i rarely need to use a guide hose. the 5/8'' sections are 7.5' or 10' on the heavy wind. i get by with a bucket or a mortar tray and my guide hoses are tucked way away.

don't feel bad, my 1/2'' drum machines still have the original cables and they are anywhere from 8-20 years old. 1/2'' machine was too small to do a main and too large for a trap. only used them on a laundry and kitchen c/o.

my 5/8'' sectional now makes it easily through 1.5'' and 2'' traps.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

100' will fit, but then you're always carrying 100' to the job to do a 30' run.

get yourself a bike tire or small motorcycle tire to carry the excess you rarely will use.

when i do a shower, i grab 2-3 sections and don't bother with the cage.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            In one reel or two?
            I actually carry 2-cages each with 105'. I use it for when I have to push a Sonde and cannot use a camera due to offsets.

As for guide hoses I still have four or five brand new 10' guide hoses sitting around with clamps on one end. They are used for front guide hoses. The clamp is like a c-clamp to attach to the drain inlet. I always use a rear guide hose but don't need more than the standard 6' guide hose.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I carry 10 of the 7.5 footers in the rand. 99% of the time 75' is more than enough. If the line is longer I will grab a second rand. I also own the Eel Model N that uses the Eel 5/8" 5' sections in the drum. The drum can hold 75' but I only keep it loaded with 50' and have a rand with another 50' for them there just in case moments.

As for the guide hose if you do not own the 5/8 guide hose you can use the 7/8 one with no issues, its just a tad longer than needed.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Rod, I recently got 75' 5/8 with the smaller cage and it seems light enough to me. I had a mainline roof stoppage and of course, the kitchen sink was still stopped up and I had to break out another machine. Now I can do both with one machine or do all the vents when the customer wants all the drains cleaned. Just another option to have. I still prefer my sink machine, the sectional takes longer and is messier. The stock guide hose is fine.

Tom

Comment

Get rid of that silly green machine!

I carry 100'of 5/8" cable and use the 7/8"guide hose if needed. most of the time i use the mortar tray as rick mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                    Get rid of that silly green machine!

I carry 100'of 5/8" cable and use the 7/8"guide hose if needed. most of the time i use the mortar tray as rick mentioned.
                    Green machine was parked in My basement the Day the K60 came in
                    Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      Green machine was parked in My basement the Day the K60 came in

Really
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I carried 75' in the truck in one reel but it was only because certain homes in VA would have a run of 60' of 2" for the laundry. I prefer to use the k50 w/ the 5/8 cable except when I have to go on the roof. The K60 has better balance on a roof. Be careful with the extra 200 rpm on the k60. The k50 has the perfect speed and sometimes the k60 goes a little to fast. I espacially see this when running through CI.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

just forgot. I run 2 section of 5/8 at the same time. 7 1/2' goes through too quick
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            just forgot. I run 2 section of 5/8 at the same time. 7 1/2' goes through too quick
                            Where ya been Gear, Downrange? Good to hear from ya

Comment

Still frickin here. Can't wait to be home. It'll be soon enough
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X