X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Report

I want to say first thanks for all the help from everyone....I am a 15 year drum person...Today I did 4 sewer calls: 1st one had a NASTY 4" grease line that took about 7-8 passes with the recommendation of jetting. Second one was a roof vent cabling, which I haven't done that since 12 years ago in Florida--man that's kinda cool not pulling back to back toilets. Third was a quickie floor drain trap. The last one was under a house with back to back toilets and a vent in the attic not able to get to...first time cabling a sewer under a house, was nice and cool temp. under there, was 80 here today. Gotta say this, didn't miss the K-7500 too much...and my back is loving it...the only thing is this...when I hit obstructions the cable seems to just stop rotating...had to pull back and start spinning again...is something out of whack? Seems like I should be able to build up torque but doesn't...any information would be great.
    Overall....the drum does have a place...and so does the sectional machine...but I do like the K-60 versatility...FYI the second and fourth jobs normally would have to pull a toilet and cut open the wall to access the vent and drop the cable in...and not to mention the K-7500 in a bathroom ALWAYS seems to walk and wobble all around...each job took about 45 minutes and 105 foot of cable...were as normally be two or three hour job and customers not real thrilled about holes in walls.... There is my take on these two very different styles of drain cleaning
    Attached Files
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Official Report

First time I used the k60 on 3 sewers the clogs were easy getting in with a drum would have been another story. Nice to not have my back hurt or be tired at the end of the day. Nice pictures
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

might need to tighten the clutch. the cable should be able to spin to the point of twisting and kinking. mine will sometimes cause the motor to reverse itself

the sectional is more of a high speed cutter and not a torque machine.

glad you got a hang of the machine. it only gets better with time

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        might need to tighten the clutch. the cable should be able to spin to the point of twisting and kinking. mine will sometimes cause the motor to reverse itself

the sectional is more of a high speed cutter and not a torque machine.

glad you got a hang of the machine. it only gets better with time

rick.
        Well that's what I thought...tightening the clutch...that's not the same as adjusting the 5/8" to 7/8" cable chuck... is it?

Derek

Comment

it's the same as adjusting from 7/8''- op 5/8'' you want about 1/2 way on the handle to engauge.

could also be the clutch is not properly centered and creating a load on the motor. you should get enough torque to twist a cable up.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

it's the same as adjusting from 7/8''- op 5/8'' you want about 1/2 way on the handle to engauge.

could also be the clutch is not properly centered and creating a load on the motor. you should get enough torque to twist a cable up.

rick.
            Okay... that's where I have it set...if the clutch is not centered... what is the procedure to correct that? take the clutch apart via the two hex bolts? Dang things brand new...is it possible the clutch is off centered or could it be operator malfunction...lol....I did think that with a 1/2 hp motor it should possibly beat the crap out of the operator if he wasn't paying attention...

Derek

Comment

it takes a lot to stall the motor. the cable should build up some torque.

look with a flashlight into the rear hole and see if the clutch looks centered with the handle engage with no cable in it. also try it while it's running too and see if it's staying centered.

there are 3 parts segments to the clutch. if 1 is off center it will cause a load on the motor.

pretty easy to remove the clutch cover and clean. this is necessary when pulling it back in with debris/ roots on the cable and allowing it to go through the machine.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

it takes a lot to stall the motor. the cable should build up some torque.

look with a flashlight into the rear hole and see if the clutch looks centered with the handle engage with no cable in it. also try it while it's running too and see if it's staying centered.

there are 3 parts segments to the clutch. if 1 is off center it will cause a load on the motor.

pretty easy to remove the clutch cover and clean. this is necessary when pulling it back in with debris/ roots on the cable and allowing it to go through the machine.

rick.
                Okay I took the clutch apart to get to the plastic lock ring to access the 3 jaws...am I to understand that those 3 jaws kinda free float in that housing? Also I can see what you mean about NOT wanting to pull cable back through the machine...man after only like 5 or so drains that housing was filthy...it looks like the grease zurt on the back is only good for that bearing...so do you just wd-40 the jaws or is it needed to lubricate? Man sorry about all the questions...just not wanting to damage anything while I am learning how to use this machine....

Derek

Comment

Am I the only one amazed at chairs being in a crawlspace?

Look down the hole while operating the handle, any discrepancies between the 3 jaws and you'll see it. I also didn't have enough pressure on the handle when I first started using the k60. In addition to what Rick said, it'll build so much torque when you let go of the handle it'll unwind itself very quickly. I've never lubricated the clutch jaws, just the 2 zerk fittings(under the handle and in the back).
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Am I the only one amazed at chairs being in a crawlspace?

Look down the hole while operating the handle, any discrepancies between the 3 jaws and you'll see it. I also didn't have enough pressure on the handle when I first started using the k60. In addition to what Rick said, it'll build so much torque when you let go of the handle it'll unwind itself very quickly. I've never lubricated the clutch jaws, just the 2 zerk fittings(under the handle and in the back).
                    so what changed to get pressure on the cable? Everything does look lined up...the chairs..ha...antiques for storage....

Derek

Comment

Stick the cable in the machine and press down on the clutch kinda hard. Rotate the back collar so the handle rises up(keep the handle down during the entire process) to the mid (10-2 o clock)position. Don't use a pipe wrench on the collar ever, use your scratch awl if it freezes up(it will, no worries). Until I started doing this, I experienced the same problem you did.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just noticed the third pic, shoulda sold a new shutoff valve, globe valve from the looks of it. Always gotta think.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Stick the cable in the machine and press down on the clutch kinda hard. Rotate the back collar so the handle rises up(keep the handle down during the entire process) to the mid (10-2 o clock)position. Don't use a pipe wrench on the collar ever, use your scratch awl if it freezes up(it will, no worries). Until I started doing this, I experienced the same problem you did.
                          Thanks...I give that a try....

Just noticed the third pic, shoulda sold a new shutoff valve, globe valve from the looks of it. Always gotta think.
                          Yea...but until they try to use it and realize it sucks...people just don't get in no hurry to fix things....I am real surprised nobody said anything about the 3" ABS just shoved into the 4" clay pipe....

Derek

Comment

Never caught it, I thought there was a donut to make up the transition.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

don't get crazy with the zerk and grease. the top one controls the rack for the clutch/ handle. only sees little slide movement when you engage the handle. the rear one on the adjust ring for the clutch is pretty much a waste. this is used to keep the threaded adjusting ring from rusting.

a good layer of grease should last a lifetime. i grease mine whenever i have it fully apart when doing service.

go easy on the wd40 as it will get into the bearings and break down the grease.

the trick is to keep your clutch clean and now you know how to access it pretty easily.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X