X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in K-60 Paradise

So I went to use my K-60 the other day and I'm having some issues. The machine had been sitting on the truck for the last week or so as I had been using the KM-1500 (all outside long 6" lines lately).

I plugged the machine in, turned it on and it started to run until I pushed the clutch down and the motor shut down.

I took off the shroud and pushed the reset button. It ran until I encountered some very minor resistance and then it shut down again.

I put the K-60 back on the truck and finished the job with the 1500 (ticked off though I was!).

So now 3 days later I finally had a chance to take a better look at what was going on.

I plugged the machine in and it started right up. Put a cable in and pushed the clutch down and it spins at full RPM's. Ok, great I think to myself.

Then I put my hand on the cable to simulate resistance. I grabbed the cable about as tightly as I would when rodding a line and the cable stopped spinning almost instantly, though the motor kept running at full RPM's.

The clutch and bearings are only about 6 months old.

I had noticed that the last couple jobs that I had done, the machine was not powering through blockages like it used to.

There is obviously something wrong, I just can't figure it out.

Belt too tight, clutch out of whack?

Thoughts?

Re: Trouble in K-60 Paradise

a belt too tight will eat the bearings on the motor. too loose and it will slip, even though there are cogs in the belt.

if the overload is tripping, then the motor is getting too hot.

a misaligned clutch will cause a load on the motor.

i would take the cover off and clean and the clutch assembly. also verify that it's riding on the center and not offset. there should be an even wear on all 3 collets inside and outside. while it's off, free spin the 1 bearing in the idler cone assembly. see if it's smooth or rough. depending on the bearing used and amount of water that enters it, the cold weather could cause the bearings to get destroyed with freezing weather and water.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I've told the story more than once about how Plumber Rick and Josh made a house call to fix My K-60 here in the Garagee due to it's clutch being out of alignment(E-Bay purchase).

Comment

Its to light duty of machine for roddings in our area. Stay with the K-1500, go with the upright version if you want some space savings.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

to quote the dude , "that's just, like, your opinion man."

i've had 0 problems rodding 6" lines with the general innercore cable. i only uae it on lines that are inside or in crawl spaces etc. where moving around is too tough with the 1500.

i've had this machine for about a year and a half with no major problems. it cost me $375 on ebay. it's easily paid for itslef about a dozen times thanks to its ability to get into tight spots.

i also use it on 4" lines (which is what i see for most of my commercial work). the 7/8" cable is perfect for 4".

the upright 1500 is still pretty clunky imo.

hey ridgid want to make me a chris-75? a redesignes k75 that can run 7/8 or 1-1/4 without changing jaws. i'll order the first one!
          i just picked up a never used R750 that needs a couple mounting brackets that were damaged in shipping. been waiting on parts for a couple weeks. they have to come from germany (perhaps thus is why rothenberger has no market share in the US)
          although in their defense, the R750 is not even in their US catalog anymore (though menard's has it on their website!?!)

the 750 may push both the k60 and the km1500 back to active reserve duty....if i ever get parts that is.

hey ridgid, want to make me a chris-750 that's made here and can run 7/8" or 1-1/4" cable without having to change clutch jaws and also can fit into tighter spots? i'll order the first 3 if you do!
          Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

"that's just, like, your opinion man."

Yes, the Dude abides.

Comment

you said you put in new bearings, check them again just because it is new does not mean it was greased or was good to begin with, you may have a bad bearing, that is locking up or nearly locked up,

in the field it is always fun to change the bearings in some machine only to have them bad in the next few hrs an if it hard to get to, it will be the one that is the hardest one to work on,

worth a look,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

take it or better yet send it to www.allanjcoleman.com. your time must be worth something. breid...................

Comment

that's the plan breid. just need to get up there. for now the 1500 and k50 are doing the work (used both twice today).

if i don't get up there tomorrow or friday i'll probably send it. shouldn't be bad $$ for ups.

i have a feeling that the clutch is not aligned properly. when i did the rebuild it was about 30 degrees outside (no heat in my garage) and i was rushing to get it done.

Comment

I had a similiar problem. The pully toward the bottom that the belt goes on was moving around, the set screw on the pully came loose.

Comment

swade. i wasn't beating you up but they see a lot of machines. hold your phone up to it and they will know what is wrong before you send it. lol. one reason i don't go myself is that i would spend all my money. breid.................

Comment

A couple of things to check. Adam is right about the clutch not being aligned causing the issue you are talking about.

Another issue happens when the K60 is stored on its rear and doesn't have a chance to dry out. If the bearings on the inside get too much standing water they can get gunked up.

Try taking off the cap on the back of the machine and lubing the bearings.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          A couple of things to check. Adam is right about the clutch not being aligned causing the issue you are talking about.

Another issue happens when the K60 is stored on its rear and doesn't have a chance to dry out. If the bearings on the inside get too much standing water they can get gunked up.

Try taking off the cap on the back of the machine and lubing the bearings.

Josh
                          thanks for the tips josh.

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                          I had a similiar problem. The pully toward the bottom that the belt goes on was moving around, the set screw on the pully came loose.
                          thanks JH. Which pulley are you talking about? the main pulley assembly or the pulley on the motor?

I broke my machine down this morning and found the bearing in the adjustment cap frozen. There was also some slop in the Main pulley assembly. I had a heckuva time getting that bearing off of the drive shaft during the rebuild and it doesn't want to come off now, but it has slop.....??? Something there must be messed up. I'm done tinkering with it. It's too cold in my garage.

next stop repair shop......grrrr.

Comment

depending on the type of seals on the bearing, (how shielded they are), meaning the metal over the rubber seal,

one can make sure the sealed bearing is greased, by using a grease injection needle,
                            (for example), http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog...on-needle.html

this is a car forum but there is a picture story showing how one can use the needle in greasing a sealed bearing, (I know the bearings your dealing with are smaller, and would most likely have to be done before installing),
                            http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-...ring-faq-9853/

I prefer to carefully lift the seal up with the tip of the needle and inject grease via a grease gun, to lift the seal up and inject is better than piercing the seal,

but that way you know it is full and greased, ( I know some would say this is wrong but I like to have the seal actually weep a little grease out of the seal when it starts to run, first the grease builds up a water repealing barrier and keeps dirt away as well,

note: greasing a double shielded bearing is much harder.

I do not now if a upgraded seal would help your machines out or not, since I am not familiar with what seal configuration they are using currently,

according to Rick in this post, the bearing is a 6206
                            30mm id. x 62mm od, x 16mm wide. bearing trade size 6206
                            double check these dimensions as i would need to go to my shop and verify them.
                            if you give them these specs, they should easily be able to cross reference them for you. get the double shielded bearings to keep out the dirt and moisture. not sure what application for a car they fit, but if you find out a car application for the size, then it will be easier in the future to note the model car. who knows, it could be a k-60mobile
                            but the trade size 6206 is the proper way to order bearings.
                            should be under $20.00 each
                            rick.

Bearing in the head of K-60 fixed (Heres how!)
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=k60+bearings
                            the doubled shielded units I believe are 6206ZZ
                            which has the rubber seal and a metal seal over the rubber providing a greater protection,
                            picture below,

there are a lot of places to get the bearings, (one can even get them on Ebay and amazon) just type in the number and if that does not work put the number and "bearing" in the search line,
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BHD; 04-16-2011, 08:11 PM.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks I used bearings from my local auto parts store. He said he ordered the "better" kind for me, whatever that means. Thanks for the 6206ZZ suggestion. I'll look into that. I may supply the bearings for AJ COLEMAN to install for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X