• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motor seizing on K-60

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
    Hey old1 where did you take it?
    Ferguson fixed it the first time ..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have had the same problem . Had to hit the reset 3 times then play with it forward and reverse like a car stuck in mud and after wasting 15 minutes it started to spin turned it and took it up on a roof and ran the crap out of it to chop up some roots Fergusons told me right away it was bearings but nothing about the belt . I guess this is why you need more than one K-60

Yep this is very frustrating ..getting set up and then the machine won't even run .. I guess but if the first one keeps struggles why would you want another ..somethings not right

Comment

As a back up

Comment

As a back up
          I guess you missed it I was doin' a little bashin ..I don't need another struggler as a back up..I have a 1500

Comment

Check this out..Sewage stoppage, pulled out the 60 and the thing ran like a top.. Ran out 135' to clear soft stoppage , paper ..Retrieved all the cable and ...So what's up with that ..I think I should still put it in the shop before the warranty runs out ..any thoughts on this

Comment

the 2 grease zerk fittings are sort of misleading.

1 is for the shaft/ rack and the other is for the adjusting ring on the clutch. neither one requires too much re greasing.

the bearings on the other hand are prone to wear from water and waste entering the bearings. although they are sealed, they will get moisture and can rust up if not used regularly. plus storing the machine in an upright position will allow water in.

next time, determine if it's a motor or shaft thing that's binding.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                the 2 grease zerk fittings are sort of misleading.

1 is for the shaft/ rack and the other is for the adjusting ring on the clutch. neither one requires too much re greasing.

the bearings on the other hand are prone to wear from water and waste entering the bearings. although they are sealed, they will get moisture and can rust up if not used regularly. plus storing the machine in an upright position will allow water in.

next time, determine if it's a motor or shaft thing that's binding.

rick.

Right, the grease fittings don't do a whole lot and was told you can overgrease them....

I did notice that when the machine is used regularly I don't have this issue..So I was thinking to run it every so often just to keep things moving ..

I always store the machine just like it is in use flat..I know I asked if the machine could be stored in the upright position and got mixed opinions , so I figured I'd be safe and store it like it is in use..

I will probably have it checked out for safe measures then they can determine which bearing is the issue..

Like I mentioned earlier when I was switching the motor from forward to off to reverse the handle would jump. And after several attempts of running the motor the the overload on the motor tripped and I had to reset it

Thanks again for the input

Comment

Well my k-60 has stopped working now it will run in reverse but locks up if switched to forward ? Just before this happened it was making a slight squeaking sound while the handle is pushed down and sounded like some internal parts were bouncing around ? Hope I did not kill it. Worst part is I have no back up ! And a customer with a backed up building drain. However I just got back home! And have a toilet to replace and leak to look for tomorrow and can then start to deal with it. Wondering if anyone here has had this happened or should I just have Ferguson's fix it? Thanks guys !
                  Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 01-24-2012, 04:50 AM.

Comment

loosen the belt and remove it. then try the motor by itself without the belt on. if all is well, then it's a bearing issue. pretty simple fix with 2 bearings total.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Cool I will have to try it. Thanks Rick!

Comment

Well I got some time today to play around with the k-60 to see what's up and was able to get the motor to run with the belt off in forward and reverse . And when hooked back up its a no go on forward but will spin in reverse . I have also neglected to grease the k-60 what effect will that have the on bearing?
                        Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Clipper City Plumber;370308]Well I got some time today to play around with the k-60 to see what's up and was able to get the motor to run with the belt off in forward and reverse . And when hooked back up its a no go on forward but will spin in reverse . I have also neglected to grease the k-60 what effect will that have the on bearing?[/QUOTE]

pretty much no affect. the 2 grease zerks are pretty much useless.

1 of them is for the adjusting collar and i always leave that loose to adjust the cable grip on the clutch.
                          the second one is for the rack and shaft for the handle. it's purpose is to keep the handle sliding smoothly on the shaft.

the bearings are sealed and no grease is getting to them. but waste water will get into them especially when you store the machine facing up.

the best bet is to replace the 2 bearing assemblies. pretty much all that would prevent the motor from spinning.

as long as the clutch is properly centered, the bearings would be the culprit.

it's also important to take off the rear cover to clean any foreign junk getting into the clutch assy.

pretty simple maintenance to keep the machine running and up to speed.

adam just changed the bearings in his a couple weeks back. i think he paid $10.00 delivered for the pair online.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

What's a good source for parts?

Comment

Well I ordered the bearings and got an email from Ridgid that its on back order and will not receive it till about March 9th!

Comment

Does seem kinda weird to me that the bearing has gone up in only two years . The company I worked for had us using a K-1500 & K-50 and I never remember having to replace bearings in the ten years I worked there. Anyone know if the older designs of the K-1500&K-50 being more reliable? I have always stored the k-60 horizontally.

Comment

Working...
                                X