X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor seizing on K-60

Ok here goes..had my 60 seize up after 6 months or so ..Went in for repairs , was told they had to replace a bearing or something..Well it happened again today..Plugged it in and could only hear the motor humming , nothing else. Said to myself " Here we go again"..With the power on I tried switching from forward to neutral to reverse..Everytime I switched back and forth the handle jumped a bit but that was it..Still no motor turning..This thing isn't even a year old yet ..Not a happy camper ..The same problem twice within maybe 4 months ..What's going on ??? So I kept trying different things and finally something unseized and the motor started working ..Why does this keep happening.I store it sitting just like you use it. I keep it greased. When the guy who serviced it last called me he said there is nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening . As the bearing is sealed and a non maintenance item..the thing is going to be 1yr. next month and out of warranty ..So I am a bit concerned that if I don't put it in the shop next time I am paying for the repair ..And if I put it in the shop they are going to say it's working so they don't know what's wrong ..Again this is twice now this thing has died on me .Any suggestions as what to try next are greatly appreciated as this is getting real old..

An no I am not switching to drums ...yet
    Last edited by OLD1; 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Motor seizing on K-60

Check the belt. Might be too tight. Try spinning the motor by hand looking for resistance or slop.

Make sure you have good voltage to the motor, not just at the recepticle.

Check the amp draw during startup.

Using an extension cord?

I beat the crap out of my K60 and never once didn't perform.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Check the belt. Might be too tight. Try spinning the motor by hand looking for resistance or slop.

Make sure you have good voltage to the motor, not just at the recepticle. what

Check the amp draw during startup. huh

Using an extension cord? Yes usually a 25' 12ga. or the shortest cord I have ..Ihate un doing the velcro cord bs wrap

I beat the crap out of my K60 and never once didn't perform.
      ..Well mine has let me down twice now and I'm as careful with it as a newborn baby

Comment

Sounds similar to the problem I'm having too.

Kinda frustrated. I need to get mine into the shop. Mine is way past warranty though.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Sounds similar to the problem I'm having too.

Kinda frustrated. I need to get mine into the shop. Mine is way past warranty though.
          Now that sucks ..I am going to tinker with mine tonight ..check and see if the belt is too tight etc

Comment

Good luck, I hope you get it straightened out.

Fortunately I only live about an hour from AJ Coleman. I changed the bearings once. That was a pain. I'm taking it in. I need some cutters for my K-50 anyway.

Mine was an ebay well used piece about a year and a half ago. I really can't complain for what I paid. I fully expected a couple of repairs

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              Good luck, I hope you get it straightened out.

Fortunately I only live about an hour from AJ Coleman. I changed the bearings once. That was a pain. I'm taking it in. I need some cutters for my K-50 anyway.

Mine was an ebay well used piece about a year and a half ago. I really can't complain for what I paid. I fully expected a couple of repairs

-Chris

Yeah but mine is/was brand new and failed twice and who knows when it will fail again..can't stand this, It is going back to ridgids repair center ..I paid way too much money for this bs..hopefully they will get it right this time

Comment

was it the motor bearings or drive bearings?

there are only 2 bearings in the drive output and they are fairly simple to replace. depending on how much water and muck you suck back into the machine will determine how long it will last.

i can tell you that my original unit that i've had now for 4 years and was also bought on ebay as a rental unit, has only needed 2 sets of bearings. as you probably know i beat the crap out of it and it still delivers.

what you need to find out is, what was the first repair? and what is the second repair.

the machine is pretty simple to maintain with basic tools and some guidance.

disconnect the belt and determine if it's the motor or the drive train. can't help you with the motor, but the drive train is simple to repair.

let us know.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  Now that sucks ..I am going to tinker with mine tonight ..check and see if the belt is too tight etc

I am curious to know how to tell or gauge if the belt is to tight?
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

from manual http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/EC6B9E9...achine_Man.pdf

Drive Belt Replacement
                    1. Stand the machine up on the front of the frame. Make
                    sure clutch handle is in its uppermost position.
                    Remove the two (2) socket head cap screws from the
                    jaw housing with a 1/4″ hex key. (Figure 11)
                    2. Remove the jaw housing.
                    3. Loosen the jam nut on the side of the machine (Figure
                    13).
                    4. Rotate motor adjustment set screw counter-clockwise
                    with 3/16″ hex key until belt is loose enough to be
                    removed.
                    5. Install new belt and set unit down on bottom of frame
                    (operating position), so belt will become tensioned by
                    the weight of the motor.
                    6. Rotate the motor adjustment set screw until it just
                    touches the motor. Once the set screw touches
                    motor, rotate set screw 1/2 turn clockwise.
                    NOTE! Do not tighten this set screw by driving it into the
                    motor.
                    7. While holding the set screw in place with the 3/16″
                    hex key, tighten the jam nut (Figure 14).
                    8. Attach jaw housing to machine with socket head cap
                    screws.
                    page 11 and 12 of manual pictures in manual of set screw and locking of it,
                    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/EC6B9E9...achine_Man.pdf
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      I am curious to know how to tell or gauge if the belt is to tight?
                      The tone changes when it's too tight.
                      I'll go and tighten the motor/belt tensioner till I hear tone change then back off the setting a quarter turn or less.

K-60 is a good machine.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        The tone changes when it's too tight.
                        I'll go and tighten the motor/belt tensioner till I hear tone change then back off the setting a quarter turn or less.

K-60 is a good machine.
                        Got it...thanks..I've been using it for about a month, I like it...just learning all the little quirks...
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I have had the same problem . Had to hit the reset 3 times then play with it forward and reverse like a car stuck in mud and after wasting 15 minutes it started to spin turned it and took it up on a roof and ran the crap out of it to chop up some roots Fergusons told me right away it was bearings but nothing about the belt . I guess this is why you need more than one K-60

Comment

Hey old1 where did you take it?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              was it the motor bearings or drive bearings?

there are only 2 bearings in the drive output and they are fairly simple to replace. depending on how much water and muck you suck back into the machine will determine how long it will last.

i can tell you that my original unit that i've had now for 4 years and was also bought on ebay as a rental unit, has only needed 2 sets of bearings. as you probably know i beat the crap out of it and it still delivers.

what you need to find out is, what was the first repair? and what is the second repair.

the machine is pretty simple to maintain with basic tools and some guidance.

disconnect the belt and determine if it's the motor or the drive train. can't help you with the motor, but the drive train is simple to repair.

let us know.

rick.
                              I will follow up with the findings..Going back in before the warranty runs out

Comment

Working...
                              X