X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another K-60 Complaint

I still haven't gotten up to AJ Coleman.

I have a feeling that it's just time to replace the bearings and clean the shaft.......again. Just did both bearings and cleaned the shaft up last July.

I rod some NASTY lines with that K-60 though.

If I get up there I'll have them check it out. Otherwise I'll break that baby down again if I ever get a couple hours to do anything in the garage!

All the rain here has me running like a fool to keep up!

-Chris

Comment

Almost forgot Thanks Plumber Rick
      The 2 foot section of 3/4 copper to line the jaw set up worked good.
      Used my K60 Thursday with no torque loss
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

it's not a 2' section of 3/4'' copper. it only looks like that

it's a k-60 clutch alignment tool

another happy k-60 owner

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I don't understand why the clutch can come out of alignment so easily

Is it from loosening the adjustment cap too much?

DO you guys keep the set screw on the adjustment cap locked all of the time without exception?

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            I don't understand why the clutch can come out of alignment so easily

Is it from loosening the adjustment cap too much?

DO you guys keep the set screw on the adjustment cap locked all of the time without exception?
            it's from too loose of an adjustment and allowing the clutch cone to shift off center. there are 3 sections of the collet. 1 of the 3 gets off center and it's going to bind. eventually wear at that spot and cause an issue.

sort of like using a drill with a keyless chuck and allowing the motor to tighten the bit. most of the time it's going to be centered and correct. sometimes it's off center and you loosen to square it back up.

i never tighten the allen screw. it's sort of a waste as i adjust it to match the cable. the zerk fitting is sort of an overkill too on the adjusting ring.

from reading these complaints and seeing others, i feel that most of the issues posted are due to improper clutch adjustments. it really is a simple machine to maintain and repair when needed.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I must be one of the few that does tighten the adjustment screw..I just can't stand it when the adjustment is made and the guide hose ends up in a funky position..Also who's to say if the adjustment is going to loosen / tighten while you are using the machine if the allen set screw is not tightened
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                I must be one of the few that does tighten the adjustment screw..I just can't stand it when the adjustment is made and the guide hose ends up in a funky position..Also who's to say if the adjustment is going to loosen / tighten while you are using the machine if the allen set screw is not tightened
                Per Rick, I adjusted the set screw one my first use. After that I haven't touched it. It's just snug enough to adjust between 5/8" and 7/8" or to get a guide hose pin straight up without loosening.

I'm always losing allen wrenches anyways

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Per Rick, I adjusted the set screw one my first use. After that I haven't touched it. It's just snug enough to adjust between 5/8" and 7/8" or to get a guide hose pin straight up without loosening.

I'm always losing allen wrenches anyways
                  So the adjustment won't move if it's not tightened down all the way ..I like the handle to engage at exactly ther halfway down position so the guide hose hole always ends up in a funky position for me ..Maybe there should be more holes in the adjuster to cover the spectrum..Here I go thinking again

Comment

Oh, so you are one of those plumber perfectionists that likes his handle position and guide hose just so?

The adjuster has 2 holes so getting a pin straight up doesn't leave the handle too low or too high, for me at least. It's never moved out of adjustment unless I flip the guide hose over.

I don't see why you couldn't drill 2 more opposing holes to get the exact position you like.

My only complaint with the K-60 is the guide hose doesn't stay snapped in all the time. The connection doesn't seem snug enough for me. I won't even mention the cord wrap We all know about that deficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Oh, so you are one of those plumber perfectionists that likes his handle position and guide hose just so?

You got me pegged

The adjuster has 2 holes so getting a pin straight up doesn't leave the handle too low or too high, for me at least. It's never moved out of adjustment unless I flip the guide hose over.

Iam thinking mine only has one ..I will double check

I don't see why you couldn't drill 2 more opposing holes to get the exact position you like.

Prolly void the warranty

My only complaint with the K-60 is the guide hose doesn't stay snapped in all the time. The connection doesn't seem snug enough for me. I won't even mention the cord wrap We all know about that deficiency.
                      The guide hose is very sloppy fitting on my machine and sometimes a real pain to snap onto the adjuster ..I struggle with most things in life though..The cord wrap NEVER comes undone ..I will go get another cord before that happens

Comment

the cord comes undone when i'm 6' short of another cord

remember 6feet not inches

i think the issue is that they designed the cord and gfi holder so go and tidy that we are too lazy to put it all back they way it is.

think about it. no other tools we have, have a cord storage area like the k-60. all we ever do is wrap the cord around the tool or let it hang.

on the k-50, i just loop the cord around the clutch handle. every time i need to use it, i need to unwind it from the handle. it's a simple task that i need to do.

the problem is not with the cord holder or the velcro, it's with our laziness to properly store our cords when not in use

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          adam reminded me tonight that a simple way to properly align your clutch is with a "special" tool only available from adam and i

it's a clutch pilot pipe. looks like a piece of 3/4'' copper x 2' long, and inserted into the clutch and through the machine at both ends. line it up centered and tighten down the adjusting cap to center it.

but remember that the clutch pilot aligning tool is only available from adam and i

rick.

Sorry i couldn't afford a clutch pilot pipe that's patent pending.....so I found an import marked as "clutch alignment tube"...

So far so good...thanks for the help!!
                          Attached Files
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            the cord comes undone when i'm 6' short of another cord

remember 6feet not inches

i think the issue is that they designed the cord and gfi holder so go and tidy that we are too lazy to put it all back they way it is.

think about it. no other tools we have, have a cord storage area like the k-60. all we ever do is wrap the cord around the tool or let it hang.

on the k-50, i just loop the cord around the clutch handle. every time i need to use it, i need to unwind it from the handle. it's a simple task that i need to do.

the problem is not with the cord holder or the velcro, it's with our laziness to properly store our cords when not in use

rick.
                            I disagree

The engineers at Ridgid should have known about my laziness when designing the cord wrap.

The velcro doesn't stick well when wet...and it's ALWAYS wet.

The buckle side of the velcro slips down behind the cord bracket and I spend precious time fishing it back out with a screwdriver. All of this in front of the customer paying top dollar per hour. Not sure what the solution is other than leave it wrapped up and use an extension cord like the rest of you. That's just something else to carry in and out. I've never been keen on using extension cords for power tools if I don't have to.

Comment

Don't know what the big deal is with the cord. I've NEVER unwrapped the cord off the k60. Just run an extension cord. I would like to see the same on a k50...mount the gfci on the motor and have a 6" cord. Bosch had the right idea when they started getting rid of cords on their power tools. Just plug the extention cord right into the tools. No bulky plugs to catch on anything and pull out.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I do not have a K60 and do not know about the cord holding features,

but a number of years ago, I bought a commercial battery charger, and here are all the cords handing off the machine and no way to store them neatly or protective of the cords, so I took some flat iron and bent an pop rivited it to the machine on each side so there as a nice place to wrap the cords up slipped rubber hose over the ends so I had an insulated location to clip the clamps on when not in use and if the machine did get turned on no electrical shorts would occur,

any way the one local business would host a program from time to time, that would promote there battery chargers and welders, and a factory Representative would put on the demonstrations and discussions,

after one of the programs, I went up to and talked to the representative, and made the suggestion that they add the holder on the battery charger, and he respond that if they did that they would not be able to get UL approval on the machine.
                                still does not make sense to me, as to why,
                                but I do think he was telling me the truth, so some of the design or lack of design may not totally depend on what would be best or work well, but on what some regulating agency demands,

I do not know if that is the situation here, but I have wondered if some times the powers that be, are some times the major hindrance in some of the simple changes that would make things easyer or bettter.
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X