X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another K-60 Complaint

What's all this about taking your machine apart, replacing bearings, adjusting something, sticking a pipe in it, etc. etc.?

General Wire I95. Flip switch, clean drain.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      What's all this about taking your machine apart, replacing bearings, adjusting something, sticking a pipe in it, etc. etc.?

General Wire I95. Flip switch, clean drain.

J.C.
      That's all I do.
      Although @ 2 years old I tore down cleaned and lubed.Probably use the k-60 on about 200 drain calls in that time.
      Nothing about bearings or clutch over here.'Cept the previous E-Bay owner's clutch fowl of course.

How many hours do you like to put on your machine before you go through it J.?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        That's all I do.
        Although @ 2 years old I tore down cleaned and lubed.Probably use the k-60 on about 200 drain calls in that time.
        Nothing about bearings or clutch over here.'Cept the previous E-Bay owner's clutch fowl of course.

How many hours do you like to put on your machine before you go through it J.?
        I can't lie to you boys....I have no idea. I know for a FACT I don't do near as many as most on hear with a K-60.

Based on what you just posted, I'd say the Ridgid machine, once adjusted, is no more to maintain than my I-95, a little stronger, and spins faster.

Don't own one though.

All I do to the General is shoot a shot of grease in the top grease fitting (only one) when the mood hits me. That's it. Anything else is just cause I want to. I don't even know where or if there are any bearings in it.

Seems a shot of WD-40 in the bearing area of a K-60 once in awhile would keep it all moving even if stored for some time between calls.

J.C.

Comment

it seems like with the few responses so far that the clutch is the issue. caused by too much loosening of the adjusting ring. a properly aligned clutch, proper belt tension and bearings that are not shot, your machine should run trouble free.

mine does and it goes into the big nasty ficus filled 4''-6'' sewers. along with the normal gunk filled smaller lines.

the bearings are sealed and wd 40 will only break down the grease when the seals fail. wd-40 is a good water displacer. i get approx. 2 years from a set of bearings with heavy duty use. not bad for under a $20.00 investment and 30 minutes of time.

being in this business, we should be able to perform the regular maintenance on our equipment. of course sewer inspection equipment is a different animal and requires very special equipment.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

UPDATE: Did 5 sewer calls yesterday, and happy to report no problems....thanks for all the help!! In some defense of the machine, could be, quite possible, might have been some operator malfunctions....maybe...lol!!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Glad it is finally working again..The mystery continues I guess..Trust me there can't be that many cases of user error to run a simple machine . So I wouldn't beat youself up about it.. Like I have been saying it will work untill it doesn't
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

When you say "over adjusting" Rick, what exactly do you mean?

Isn't the K-60 designed to run either 5/8" or 7/8" cable by adjusting the back?

Honestly, I've been pretty lazy about locking the hex head set screw on the back.

I've never heard about using a pipe to adjust the clutch until reading this thread

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  it seems like with the few responses so far that the clutch is the issue. caused by too much loosening of the adjusting ring. a properly aligned clutch, proper belt tension and bearings that are not shot, your machine should run trouble free.

mine does and it goes into the big nasty ficus filled 4''-6'' sewers. along with the normal gunk filled smaller lines.

the bearings are sealed and wd 40 will only break down the grease when the seals fail. wd-40 is a good water displacer. i get approx. 2 years from a set of bearings with heavy duty use. not bad for under a $20.00 investment and 30 minutes of time.

being in this business, we should be able to perform the regular maintenance on our equipment. of course sewer inspection equipment is a different animal and requires very special equipment.

rick.
                  Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                  When you say "over adjusting" Rick, what exactly do you mean?

Isn't the K-60 designed to run either 5/8" or 7/8" cable by adjusting the back?

Honestly, I've been pretty lazy about locking the hex head set screw on the back.

I've never heard about using a pipe to adjust the clutch until reading this thread

if the adjusting ring is loosened too much, the clutch segments can misalign from the drive cone. basically there are 3 sections to the clutch. all 3 need to be properly centered in the drive cone and idler cone. the patented clutch alignment tool is used to center up the 3 collets of the clutch and then you adjust the ring down to snug it up.

by having the clutch tool centered, you can keep the clutch nice and squared up/ centered.

i never tighten the locking nut on the adjusting ring. i rarely grease the threads, and i rarely use the guide hose.

i rarely have any issues with the machine and i rarely loose a battle with the k-60.

did i ever say, i rarely talk about the k-60

i have a fix for the cord wrap. anyone interested to know what it is?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    if the adjusting ring is loosened too much, the clutch segments can misalign from the drive cone. basically there are 3 sections to the clutch. all 3 need to be properly centered in the drive cone and idler cone. the patented clutch alignment tool is used to center up the 3 collets of the clutch and then you adjust the ring down to snug it up.

by having the clutch tool centered, you can keep the clutch nice and squared up/ centered.

i never tighten the locking nut on the adjusting ring. i rarely grease the threads, and i rarely use the guide hose.

i rarely have any issues with the machine and i rarely loose a battle with the k-60.

did i ever say, i rarely talk about the k-60

i have a fix for the cord wrap. anyone interested to know what it is?

rick.
                    Yes, please share!

Also, how often do you find yourself "re-aligning" the clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                      Also, how often do you find yourself "re-aligning" the clutch?
                      Mine was bought Newly/used once maybe.
                      When I got it it was acting out.
                      "Set-It-And-Forget-It"

Comment

Got all the way to the end of this thread and biting at the bit for an answer:

How often do you find yourself "re-aligning the clutch?"

Comment

i was wondering the same thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

I don't know the answer to the question , but im thinking I must be due, my k 60 had the same symptoms last time I used it it would just run out of balls I played with the front hub and bang it started working but I might just pull her apart before I'm on a job and need it.

Comment

The clutch will stay properly alinged as long as you don't over adjust it too far open. All you need to do is see that all 3 jaw collets are riding center in the drive cone.

A 3/4" piece of copper will easi y help you align the clutch if need be. Just a visual sighting through the rear opening without the guide hose on.

My k60 has never had a misaligned clutch.

Very easy machine to work on.

Just last week I walked 2 different plumbers tnrough fixing their machine.. 1 guy dropped his out of the truck and shook up the motor starting switch. The other had to replace a bearing. All coached over the phone.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X