Another K-60 Complaint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another K-60 Complaint

Been having issues with mine...started with cable would stop spinning with clutch handle engage when hit anything in drains....took apart and cleaned...seemed okay then the handle would "pop" sometimes when engaging...retook apart...didn't see anything out of whack... I don't store mine facing up or down and I don't pull the cable back through the machine out of the drain...after each use hit the inside of jawset with some cleaner and Wd-40...gotta say at first good machine but now after about 25 or 30 drains starting to wonder...The handle is still doing the pop thing, and it sometimes just acts like it doesn't have the horses to spin the cable...I have check the belt tension and tried varouis positions with it and cleaned the jaw set and made sure it was aligned ...I don't know...HELP!!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Another K-60 Complaint

Gotta admit the k60 issues just keep on coming...Mine is going in the shop again to get checked out before the warranty runs out..Your machine is still like new so I would take it in and tell them to tear it apart and find out wtf is wrong with it..Like you said at first the machine was awsome now not so..Seems like if it sits too long between uses it gives me the most grief..Who wants / needs to power up a machine every so often just because it's getting a breather..If the bearings rust/ seize up that quick then they should replace em' all..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      Gotta admit the k60 issues just keep on coming...Mine is going in the shop again to get checked out before the warranty runs out..Your machine is still like new so I would take it in and tell them to tear it apart and find out wtf is wrong with it..Like you said at first the machine was awsome now not so..Seems like if it sits too long between uses it gives me the most grief..Who wants / needs to power up a machine every so often just because it's getting a breather..If the bearings rust/ seize up that quick then they should replace em' all..
      Tried calling Ridgid today...good Friday...they took the say off...The closest service center is 2 hours away and that's just gonna pee me off........My K-7500 is starting to get antsy and I am thinking Betty's gonna have to come out of retirement...

Derek

Comment

Having trouble with mine also push handle down it spins hit something it stops! Before troubles I did break it down last week cleaned jawset and gave it lube. Tested it plugged it in put cable in it spun it grabbed cabled with gloved hand to try to stop it no problem. When on a call no torque! Spins but stops when I hit something. Same thing I don't store it standing up or on it's side.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

check the set screw on the coupling that is on the shaft that the belt goes on its the lower part that the belt spins on my set screw was loose and that coupling would slide when every i engaged the clutch.

Comment

To bad no maintenance videos would be kind of cool to come with new units or to down load. If there is
            Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
              check the set screw on the coupling that is on the shaft that the belt goes on its the lower part that the belt spins on my set screw was loose and that coupling would slide when every i engaged the clutch.
              Nice...especially when you are on a job and have to leave cause' your machine struggles..Been there ..done that ..oh yeah with the 60

Comment

Nice...especially when you are on a job and have to leave cause' your machine struggles..Been there ..done that ..oh yeah with the 60
                That happened to me earlier this week..cable hit something and would stop...was an hour away from my shop...

Derek

Comment

Thats it...This calls for a

Comment

Thats it...This calls for a
                    Well what kills me the most is I have spent more in cables, cutter, and holders that I did for the damn machine....and that urks me to no end!!!

Derek

Comment

Yep ..It's a lotta damn money you can have invested in that equipment..Total bs when they just stop working and nobody knows why..And your repair center is 2 hrs. away..F that I would have to eat the shipping and hope to get reimbursed..If you have a Ferguson near you they will send it out for youHopefully it won't take too long to get it back

Comment

Looks like the closest Ferguson to me is in Vermont 2.5 to 3 hours away!
                        Rod

Comment

i would not send my dog to ferguson....they suck!

Comment

What you are all describing is the exact problem that I have having with mine.

Mine will spin cable until I put my hand on it or hit resistance. Then the cable stops dead. I took everything apart down to

I'm also having an issue with the clutch handle. It doesn't want to release back up on its own when I let go.

I have a feeling that it's a bearing issue. The bearing on the back end of mine is frozen in place. Also, I probably just used the heck out of it and got a bunch of gunk in the drive shaft.

I broke it down yesterday, lubed it, reset belt tension and jaw set. Actually got worse. The cable will spin about 10 revolutions and then just stops. The motor is running fine, so it has to be a drive problem.

I'm taking mine to AJ Coleman next week.
                            I will take pictures before, at and after AJ Coleman and let you guys know what the doc says.

Maybe they can help me get my Rothy parts too (oops I said a dirty word!). At least you can get an answer and a part from Ridge. Rothenberger's response on parts for my R750 was, I'll have to have so-and-so get back to you on that. again, and again.

-Chris
                            Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

there's really not to much to the drive line on the k-60.

you have a pulley that the belt drives which contains 1 of the 2 bearings in the unit. the pulley drives the drive cone when the handle is applied. the drive cone squeezes the clutch on the 1 side sand then the clutch is squeezed from the back side with the idler cone which contains the second bearing.

what you need to check are the 2 bearings for play. if they get too wet or mucky, you will ruin them.

all the main shat does is line everything up in position and allows the clutch handle to drive the gear forward to engage the drive cone into the clutch and spin the cable. very few rotating parts.

honestly, this is a pretty basic do it yourself repair if you plan on doing it.

the bearings are off the shelf metric auto bearings. a hammer and punch to drive them out and then a piece of plastic pipe to drive them in with some red locktite.

30 minutes top.

the grease is used to keep the shaft handle sliding and the adjusting cap easy to rotate when going from 5/8'' to 7/8''. they really don't have a wear factor.

it's the bearings that get trashed and the clutch wear very slowly when properly adjusted and properly engauged.

tear it down and post some photos. get the 2 bearings from the store and we'll walk you through it

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X