k-60 issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 issue

Hello, i have a few question regarding my k-60. I had the bearings replaced and was looking forward to being able to use it again, but the cable would not spin. I took apart the front cover and it looked like the plastic jaw assembly was garbage. I ordered a new one and installed it today. The cable still wont spin properly though. If i make adjustments it will spin the cable a little but nothing like it should. It sounds like it is grinding the jaw assembly and i am seeing metal dust so i know something is wrong. One of my concerns is is that i dont have the jaw assembly installed correctly. Is the jaw supposed to be just floating around behind the plastic piece that says "lock" and "unlock" it seems like it should be held in place. Also if i cant figure it out, who is the best place around to work on the k-60? Sorry for the lack of paragraphs and spelling as this is being written from my phone. Any help would be awesome. Thanks you

Re: k-60 issue

sounds like you're clutch assembly needs to be aligned properly. this is a common problem when you over loosen the clutch adjustment.

the way i've explained to everyone is to make a clutch alignment tool. there are 3 clutch fingers that must sit evenly into the idler cone.

since the 7/8'' cable is the size of the clutch assembly, take a piece of 3/4'' copper 2' long and slide that through the k-60 with the clutch loose. use the copper to properly center the clutch as you look from the large/ rear hose side to align and center it. once it's center then tighten down on the adjustment to grip the copper as if it was cable.

99% sure that's your problem.

plenty of old threads about this procedure. just look in the k-60 section of the forum for more details if needed.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks rick I will look into it tomorrow.

I tried looking for more information on this issue but I only see ten pages in the k-60 section and nothing seems to be what I need when I went through the pages. Could you give me a search tip or tag or something?

Comment

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t37344/

post #23.

I have it bookmarked for mine own use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post

post #23.

I have it bookmarked for mine own use.
          amazing as i just reviewed some threads and that thread. i was ready to post it and mention starting at post 23. you beat me to it

it's been mentioned before and i think this is the post that really got others on board with the clutch alignment.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

here is another thread with some good upclose photos of the properly aligned clutch.

"i lost my balls" https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t32278/

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I adjusted it the way you explained and the cable will spin but after a little time it will start grinding again. Another issue I have is when the cable is spinning good and I hold it with my hand the motor will stop...sounds like it completely shuts down. Any ideas here? or am I over my head?

Comment

If its a used machine you might have to tighten the belt on the motor up a bit......
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                X