X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/8" Cutters are Rubbish

I bought a K-60 Six weeks ago and I have kinked two 7/8" cables broken two T-102 Funnel Auger and one T-101 Straight Auger where they snapped just before the weld where it joins the cable and mangeled them and have had to get the K1500 out to save the day to retrieve these crappy K60 fittings
    When one takes a good look at these fittings compared with K1500 fittings the K60 are lite weight and I cannot understand how Rick can swear by the K60 for clearing sewers as tree roots in Australia cannot be any different than ones in the U.S. or is this crap made in China with lite weight steel or does the weld weaken the connection to the coupling and it must be happening to others with this machine as I am starting to loose confidence when putting any of these fittings down a 4" earthenware sewer pipe

Tony

Re: 7/8" Cutters are Rubbish

The k60 blades are weak I bought a couple of adapters form draincablesdirect and use duracabe blades (roto-rooter blades) on my k60 and use general innercore cables
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      I bought a K-60 Six weeks ago and I have kinked two 7/8" cables broken two T-102 Funnel Auger and one T-101 Straight Auger where they snapped just before the weld where it joins the cable and mangeled them and have had to get the K1500 out to save the day to retrieve these crappy K60 fittings
      When one takes a good look at these fittings compared with K1500 fittings the K60 are lite weight and I cannot understand how Rick can swear by the K60 for clearing sewers as tree roots in Australia cannot be any different than ones in the U.S. or is this crap made in China with lite weight steel or does the weld weaken the connection to the coupling and it must be happening to others with this machine as I am starting to loose confidence when putting any of these fittings down a 4" earthenware sewer pipe

Tony

Although I'm not a fan of the K-silly I don't think you're much of a drain/sewer cleaner as you just don't seem to have the "touch". Maybe you should seek another profession ?

Comment

tony, how many times have i mentioned the rick reverse auger

there's a reason for the reverse auger. it's because in the hundreds of times i've used it, it has never broken

but you're 100% correct in your assessment of the straight and funnel auger. problem is the weak point is the smaller gauge wire and proximity to the connector.

with the rick reverse auger you have the spring connector welded 14' away with heavy gauge wire. plus you can custom form it and bend an angle on it.

so what you're going to do with 1 of your kinked cables is to make a tony reverse auger

it's true that the innercore will not kink as easy, but i only use the lead front cable with innercore. the rest is normal c-10 cable. and believe me when i tell you i have well over a 1000 cleanings on a set of cable without using a guide tube to protect my cable from wear on the ground.

so forget the ridgid augers, make the tony reverse augers.

i also use the spiral root saws for 95% of my 7/8'' cable cleanings. it's all feel and with the right cutters, you'll be back up to speed.

don't make me get on the next flight to show you

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Although I'm not a fan of the K-silly I don't think you're much of a drain/sewer cleaner as you just don't seem to have the "touch". Maybe you should seek another profession ?
          Its a pity you didn`t bother to contribute to my post other than your snide remarks and trying to be funny as I have been clearing blocked sewers and every other type of drain since 1976 when I bought my first K1500 and K36 I wonder where you were 36 years ago

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            tony, how many times have i mentioned the rick reverse auger

there's a reason for the reverse auger. it's because in the hundreds of times i've used it, it has never broken

but you're 100% correct in your assessment of the straight and funnel auger. problem is the weak point is the smaller gauge wire and proximity to the connector.

with the rick reverse auger you have the spring connector welded 14' away with heavy gauge wire. plus you can custom form it and bend an angle on it.

so what you're going to do with 1 of your kinked cables is to make a tony reverse auger

it's true that the innercore will not kink as easy, but i only use the lead front cable with innercore. the rest is normal c-10 cable. and believe me when i tell you i have well over a 1000 cleanings on a set of cable without using a guide tube to protect my cable from wear on the ground.

so forget the ridgid augers, make the tony reverse augers.

i also use the spiral root saws for 95% of my 7/8'' cable cleanings. it's all feel and with the right cutters, you'll be back up to speed.

don't make me get on the next flight to show you

rick.
            Jokes aside Rick Ridgid should take our posts seriously and not ignore them as I am starting to think they do I will make up a reverse auger as suggested but its harder to clear a tree filled sewer in reverse but Ridgid should revalve its augers for the K60 and do more field testing on them getting plumbers to test them out as they are just rubbish I have ordered a Rothemburger 7/8" funnel auger and will try it out as I have been using Rothemburger cables with my K1500 for many years as they are thicker saving on chuck jaws.

Tony

Comment

tony, the rra has never failed me and can open a 4'' sewer from a 1.5'' cleanout. i put a 45 bend a few inches back and when it hits the larger pipe, it springs open. the open wind becomes a continuous auger/ corkscrew.

the other advantage of running reverse is that the cable wants to auto feed into the line while cutting.

the rra is also great when running into non directional fittings and tees. like i see with the cheap styrene piping i see around pool decks / area drains.

ridgid does monitor the forum and read our comments, concerns and suggestions. brian is the head guy for drain cleaning and i'm sure he's already working on a fix

in the mean time, don't lose confidence on the k-60. make your t.r.a. and let me know how it works.

1976 i got you beat by 1 year

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

For what ever it's worth.... I think the K-60 is just a glorified K-50 in disguise. Don't get me wrong all machines has thier purpose and place, just don't take them out of it. But to qualify my statement, I am used to using a K-1500 with 1-1/4" cable and a H cutter. The only reason I would run a auger RH or LH is when I would run the cable under the building and did not want to bust any toilets. Or if I knew kids flushed the underwear down the toilet or a dreaded tampons by the dozen, then a auger head would be best. I used the K-50 for drains or for a sewer locator...
                I have to agree tho, you have to learn to feel the machine & cable. I knew the limits of all the machines I operated. I wish the newcomer did, I have had to bail him out of a heaping lot of trouble.... You also have to know when to scrap out the cable..

Comment

I have never had problems with the straight auger or 6" funnel. actually just pulled out enough roots to fill a small shopping bag yesterday. I did have to work my way up and I finial got the 3" root saw all the way out to the street. Is there any way to load pictures from the iPhone to the forum?

Comment

i easily email photos from my android phone to myself and save them in my photo gallery. then just attach them to the thread before posting. instead of "post quick reply" use the" advanced mode" then scroll to "manage attachment" feature prior to saving your post.

not sure you can post directly from a phone to the forum unless you use your phone as your browser and work the entire post from the phone. could be slower than a laptop desktop.

every now and then i'll post from my phone, but never tried to attach a photo.

you will destroy your augers in roots. they break at the welded connection. broke 3 on 1 job alone until i switched to the rick reverse auger and that was a few years ago. still going strong without failure.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I bought the Rothemburger 7/8 funnel auger and a couple of other fittings and it work a treat it is made of far stronger material than the Ridgid one which is a supprise I use my K-60 with a 7/8 inner core cable and my Rothembuger funnel auger and haven`t had a problem I hope Ridgid reads this post and takes notice

Tony

Comment

I bought the Rothemburger 7/8 funnel auger and a couple of other fittings and it work a treat it is made of far stronger material than the Ridgid one which is a supprise I use my K-60 with a 7/8 inner core cable and my Rothembuger funnel auger and haven`t had a problem I hope Ridgid reads this post and takes notice

Tony

You are clearing lines with a funnel auger ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                          You are clearing lines with a funnel auger ?
                          The baulk of my clearing jobs are 100mm domestic sewerage pipe some stormwater but mostly get my mate to jet the stormwater pipes I use a funnel auger as the first tool I put down a sewerage pipe to explore the blockage and clear the water and nine times out of ten it clears the blockage and by the feel of the cable and how hard the machine is working I then put down a 75 or 100mm sharktooth cutter to clean up the blockage and remove the dags on the inside of the pipe and if the blockage is real bad and I have at least got rid of the water and I can put the camera down to see if I can clear it or just wasting my clients money and then it is a dig up

Tony

Comment

The baulk of my clearing jobs are 100mm domestic sewerage pipe some stormwater but mostly get my mate to jet the stormwater pipes I use a funnel auger as the first tool I put down a sewerage pipe to explore the blockage and clear the water and nine times out of ten it clears the blockage and by the feel of the cable and how hard the machine is working I then put down a 75 or 100mm sharktooth cutter to clean up the blockage and remove the dags on the inside of the pipe and if the blockage is real bad and I have at least got rid of the water and I can put the camera down to see if I can clear it or just wasting my clients money and then it is a dig up

Tony

Yikes

Comment

Mine are typically 4" mains that lead to a 6" lateral. I always run a 3 to 4" spiral rootsaw.

The only time I run a funnel auger is to retrieve something. usually left over wipes. Otherwise it's my rick reverse auger on all the difficult lines or small openings.

The reverse auger cost nothing and has never broken in hundred of uses. It's bendable and is capable of entering a 1.5" line and still scraping and opening a root filled 4" main.

Never had long life with a factory auger.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X