X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 Shines in a tight emergency

got an emergency call today from a ymca i do larger projects for. their womens locker room toilets, sinks and showers were backed up and overflowing the showers. the head engineer was out of the country on vacation and their lead maintenance guy already tried to snake it with a smaller drum machine with no luck.

get out there to discover the 4'' floor cleanout is located about 15' into a pipe chase that super hot and is about 2' wide. crawled in from an access panel.

break out my k-60 and 90' of 7/8'' cable with a 3'' spiral root saw. turned out he had run 75' of 3/8'' cable with a single cutter and it didn't clear. i hit it at 32' and it cleared. continued to 75' with fixtures running and brought back a clean cable. of course he was impressed with my k-60 and was going to tell his boss about it when he gets back in town.

the k-60 was the perfect match as i was able to shove it through the access panel and set it up along side the 4'' cleanout. sure a mini drum machine can fit, but it lacks the cleaning ability of the k-60.

rick.

the shiny k-60 in the pipe chase.

as you can see, it's pretty tight and was hot, hot, hot. between the pool chlorine smell and lack of circulation, i was dripping.

15' in from the access panel with my snake and 90' cage of cable.

access panel to the pipe chase.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-21-2013, 12:17 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: K-60 Shines in a tight emergency

talk about a coincidence. watching the tv show "criminal minds" right now. and the pool scene on tv is from the ymca i was just at today. what a small world.

now i know what was in the sewer main that i cleared. blood and guts from the show

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Did the maintenance guy run his drum machine from the same cleanout?

Those pipe chases are great for peeking into the womens shower

Comment

Yes he did. It was a general 3/8" mini rooter with a single 3" half blade. He went out all 75' with no results.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

That machine is waaaay too clean.

Comment

Why not extend the C.O. THROUGH THAT TIN CAN WALL ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
              That machine was on its maiden voyage. Other than mixing my milkshake a few years back, it hasn't seen any work.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Why not extend the C.O. THROUGH THAT TIN CAN WALL ?
              Never seen a cleanout Inside a womens shower stall although it can extend 15' and hang just behind the access hatch.

I don't believe this has ever plugged in the 7 years I've been involved in the building.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

what do you think lead to your success on this job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,over the maintenance man,,,,,,,did you use the innercore lead cable along with the 3'' spiral root cutter?????? more power,,,,,???? operator expertice,,,,,,,,?????

Comment

All the above

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    talk about a coincidence. watching the tv show "criminal minds" right now. and the pool scene on tv is from the ymca i was just at today. what a small world.

now i know what was in the sewer main that i cleared. blood and guts from the show

rick.
                    love that show "criminal minds" how cool is that,,,,,,to work in that same building,,,,,,,,small world indeed

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                      I had to scroll back up and look at that pic - that must be one of the backup K60s.....did you break the last one Rick?
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

No, not broken, just taking a break. Funny as I just gave it to a buddy 3 days ago as his was just stolen from his locked van at a job the day prior.

Still have another waiting to shine.

It's cables I'm short on.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

You're a friend Rick !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick, did you have to take what looks to be backvent down to gain access to the back of the chase?

what about turning that wye around and going out the back wall.

Wouldn't be able to extend that CO 15 feet here by code.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, there was a c/o in the chase. 1 side is the womens shower and the other side is the big ymca pool. so either extending the c/o to the access or leaving it for my k-60 is the call.

why can't it be extended? I know it will be a dry line until it backs up, but it's capped too.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X