X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/8 cable and galvinized pipe

Had a kitchen line to unplug. It was 1.5" galvinized pipe. Straight down to sharp 90 then about 3 feet to a straight Tee that is angled down at a 45 degree. I ran the 5/8 cable past the 90 but could not get past the Tee. Is there a trick with the k-60 and these sharp angles? Maybe the galvinized pipe has a rust build up inside?
    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Re: 5/8 cable and galvinized pipe

The rick reverse auger is the answer to all your trouble jobs. Its the only one that will make the turns when all else fails.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      The rick reverse auger is the answer to all your trouble jobs. Its the only one that will make the turns when all else fails.

Rick.
      I used the head that was the same size of the cable and ran it in reverse. Is this the same thing?

Comment

No, actually it's compleatly backwards.

The factory auger has issues with it breaking at the connection and weld. Not to mention the added stiffness of the male and female connectors.

Sacrifice 1 of your 5/8" cables and cutnoff the first few inches of the female connector. It doesn't really matter which connector, but the female connector missing has an advantge when you're 1 cable short with a standard cutter head.

Heat up the cable end and stretch out the last wind to form a hook. Then sharpen it. Now you have a 7' cable with an auger end that can be bent into a 45 if need be. This will allow it to scrape the walls in larger pipe yet still straighten out for the 1.5" pipe.

By running in reverse motor rotation, the cable is now an unstoppable corkscrew auger.

This has been my go to get it done auger in both 5/8" and 7/8" cables. Not just me but a good majority of forum sectional users.

I've never broken the cable or had it unscrew. Unlike the dozens of factory augers I've destroyed prior to my reverse auger.

If the search feature on the forum would work, you'd see dozens of post with photos of the reverse auger and making of it.

Also with 5/8" cables, I prefer the k50 as its a slower rpm and lighter machine, less power. Easy to take into showers and on top of washing machines too. The k60 works, but the k50 is better suited for the 5/8" cables.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I love my k50. i usually take the smallest retriever auger and hand bend a sharp angle to it. Using that, in reverse, when inserting will usually allow me to get around any bend. Though, it may take more than one try.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

O my!
            I just bought the k-60 and now you guys are saying I need the k-50.
            I am running out of room in my van!

Thank you for the input. I will keep the k-50 in mind.

Comment

The k60 is designed to run the 5/8" cable, but where it really shines is the 7/8" cable and mains.

When you can justify the expense of a k50, you'll get 1. It takes up less room than a 5 gallon bucket.
              In the mean time the k60 and a reverse auger will do fine.

See if you can search for the reverse auger threads and see the differance it makes.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                O my!
                I just bought the k-60 and now you guys are saying I need the k-50.
                I am running out of room in my van!

Thank you for the input. I will keep the k-50 in mind.

Get yourself a K45-AF.

Although not perfect a very handy pistol rodder it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Rick.

I'm thinking this might be an overstatement

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I have thought about the K-50(use different cables), K-45AF(used different cables), and K-40(guide hose right up to opening) machines. Just not sure which way to go. I have a K-3800 with a small drum which works good but it would be nice to have a back up because these small cables can kink so easy. I like the idea of a mult-purpose machine.

Comment

The reverse auger wind causes the cable to auto feed in. The 5/8" is both stiff and flexible depending on which style cable you have.

5/8" works great for 1.5 and 2" and 3" lines. But I've been able to use 7/8" in 1.5 and 2". Just make sure its not a trap.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

The 5/8 I have is C-8 and one piece is inner core plastic. The 7/8 is C-10 and two are the inner core plastic. Does anyone know how the inner core plastic is? Will it freeze and brake? Should I get more of the inner core plastic?

Comment

I have 2 plastic ic 7/8" cables. No 5/8" ic.

I think the ic plastic is more of hdpe and cold weather should not affect it.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X