DOUBLE DOUBLE K60 / K120

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUBLE DOUBLE K60 / K120

Bailed out a buddy today in the Hollywood Hills. His guys got hung up in a 3'' cleanout to 6'' lateral at approx 53'. they were snaking a root stoppage that another company came the day before and couldn't clear. told him to disconnect the cable and i'll come by when i get done at my day long project.

met him there and found the cleanout was flowing and the cable sticking out of the 3'' c/o with 3 full sections and a 4th. 50% in. after trying to break it free the cable wasn't going anywhere. so i took my k-60 along with his brand new virgin machine that just showed up an hour earlier. between the 2 machines in series, we were able to get the cable to spin. added soap and kept on trying to spin it free. about 45 minutes and lots of sweat we got it out.

camered the line to find the 3'' and 4'' cast spotless and the 6'' clay full of roots at the 38' mark and beyond. mistake his guys made was using a 2.5'' 4 blade spear and drilling a hole through the heavy roots. the 4 blade is not a root cutter and the back of it is a large drag with no cutting ability.

pictures to follow if i can resize them.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Josh; 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM.
    phoebe it is

not sure how to properly add photos, but here's some more.

rick.

not my white sneakers.

hot and sweaty. got it done. the roots started in the 6'' clay at 38' and the cable was parked at approx 53' in. wrong cutter choice made it difficult to cut back out.

my buddy now has 3 k-60 including the brand new one on it's maiden voyage today.

by pairing up the 2 machines we were able to overcome the roots making a strangle hold on the cable and wrong cutter head they chose to use. proper cutter would have been a 3'' spiral root saw.

he's going to install a 4'' outside cleanout to allow for a 4'' saw cutter.

my jetter would also work, but the street is so narrow and no where to turn around with the trailer. this is located just above the sunset strip for those that know the hollywood area.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Too bad it takes the use of two machines to get some decent power

Comment

No pictures just little black x's

This story is the one reason I wont use 7/8" cable here for rodding main lines. A K-1500 with the 1¼" cable is a much better choice for heavy roots in a 6" sewer.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Too bad it takes the use of two machines to get some decent power
          seeing the company the day before couldn't clear it with their drum machine, and the customer didnt want to be suckered into a $6500.00 jetting and liner job, they called my buddy. my inspection showed a spottless 3" 4" cast line for the first 36'. A total scam they were selling.

the mistake they made was the wrong cutter choice. It managed to drill through the root mass and 15' beyond, but had no cutting ability on the pull back.

1.25 cable would have been my choice too with the 10' drop as it left the driveway, but still only a 3" access c.o.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

This story is the one reason I wont use 7/8" cable here for rodding main lines. A K-1500 with the 1¼" cable is a much better choice for heavy roots in a 6" sewer.
            the 7/8" non innercore cable held out fine, even with 2 machines working it.

ron , weird about the photos. I posted last night on my laptop running chrome. Looks good. I'm on my android tablet and they look good. But I noticed my android phone isn't showing the photos.

what are you viewing them on and what internet browser?

Rick.

others, please list if you can see them and what browser you're running. Seems to still be a forum issue.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I'm on my desktop, using chrome and can't see the pics
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post

Absolutely right but the K1500 is only suited for a few types of situations while the K60 is extremely versatile. The best choice for heavy roots in 6" pipe is a jetter.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I tried viewing them in IE, Chrome, and Firefox. I am still not sold on using a jetter for roots, guess its due to the fact many backups are in peoples basements and pumping water into a blocked line is not appealing to me. As for the guy that couldn't get the line open with a drum machine, doesn't say that the machine was at fault, its more than likely the operator.

I had a long time customer call me due to a back up, I told her I was currently on a job and she be next in a couple hours. She didn't want to wait so she called another guy. About an hour and half later I get a call from her she was all frantic stating that the guy she called wanted to replace her sewer and the clean out we installed for her was complete crap.

So I showed up there in about 10 minutes after that call, and as I pulled up on the job he was loading a 1065 on to the truck. My buddy Mike was unloading our 1065 and heading right to the clean out. I walked up to the lady which was about 10 feet from the other guys truck, and I hear him telling her there is no way we were going to get the line open with the same machine he tried using.

I ensured her we will get the line open and televise it again for her, just to see if the line had degraded since we last looked at it 2 years ago. As soon as I said that Mike yelled out that he got the line open and is going in with a 6" cutter next. They other guy said impossible and we were full of it. So he went up looked down the clean out and seen all the water flowing.

My point of the story is doesn't matter what machine you use as long as you have the skill and experience to use it. In this case with the K60 you are correct wrong cutter choice, but IMHO wrong machine choice as well. I have used the 4 bladed spear head on the K1500 many of times to get heavy root blockages open and never had it hang up on me. I am a firm believer in using a starting tool get the water flowing then increasing to larger blades to clear out the line properly.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Attachment

anything?

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata...8403&type=full
                    phoebe it is

Comment

not seeing any thing yet, here.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Not viewable here.

Comment

wait wait....I can see it....oh never mind...nope. good going rick...you broke the forum.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Is it a picture of a puppy dog?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick, Are you uploading these images as attachments using the icon that looks like a camera? There are a few different ways to do it. All work fine in firefox but haven't tried other browsers.

test
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X