Snapped another auger - Not happy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped another auger - Not happy!

A couple months ago I snapped a straight auger & funnel auger within 1 week when using the K-60 7/8 cable. I picked up a new straight auger & had only used it twice before it decided to snap at the weld in the drain today. I was pushing against a blockage but the cable was not binding or moving forward - just clicking over at the blockage. I extracted the cable to see the auger snapped off - this really annoys me, I could understand if I was trying to drive the it in hard & had all the usual moans & groans from the cable - but nothing.

There goes another $150.

HEY RICK !!!

Comment

Man throw those augers away. I think I got about 3 or 4 laying around that I'll never use. Make that reverse auger. I'll let Rick talk on that since he taught me about it but that thing is great stuff.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

$150.00 for an auger What do you pay for a section of 7/8" cable?

take 1 of your damaged cables, cut off the first 6" of cable to eliminate the tight wind. Heat up the end to allow you to open up the wire and form a corckscrew end. Then quench it in oil. Reheat slightly and allow to cool. Now you have a Rick Reverse Auger that will never fail you.

You can now easily bend the end into a 45 that wilIl spring open In larger pipe. I can run it in a 2" line and open up root filled lines in 4" pipe. Even 1.5" pipe without 90's.

The trick is to run the motor in reverse to allow the auger to dig in and screw into the roots and stoppage. I use this on both my 5/8" and 7/8" cables with great results and no failures.

Keep in mind while running in reverse, the cable will auto feed into the line when you start to make your first turn.
        let me know if you need me to go there and show you how its done

Josh, make a 15' section reverse wind and then we can run the machine In forward while still having an unbeatable reverse auger. Do i have to go to ohio to show you? Nah, New Zealand sounds better

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DATS View Post
          A couple months ago I snapped a straight auger & funnel auger within 1 week when using the K-60 7/8 cable. I picked up a new straight auger & had only used it twice before it decided to snap at the weld in the drain today. I was pushing against a blockage but the cable was not binding or moving forward - just clicking over at the blockage. I extracted the cable to see the auger snapped off - this really annoys me, I could understand if I was trying to drive the it in hard & had all the usual moans & groans from the cable - but nothing.

There goes another $150.

Why are you using this auger in the first place ? Is it your "go to" bit or is it serving a special purpose ?

Comment

If my jetter or the coil with blade gets caught up (& its a struggle to free them) I like to try drilling through the blockage as a last attempt before CCTV & possible dig up.

This way I lessen the risk of the coil getting caught up as easily again & hopefully I recover a sample &/or get the drain flowing. If this works I go back to using a blade or the jetter as the job dictates to open up the blockage fully & if the blockage won't open up its on to a CCTV.

I've surprised myself how often I have manage to clear blockages the jetter or the auger blade couldn't by drilling into the blockage first.

Rick - I think the last time I bought 3x 7/8 coils it cost me close to $600 discounted & I'm definitely going to make up one of those reverse augers ASAP.

Comment

you need to come out here and go shopping. i think they cost me about $57.00 each.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Oh! you guys have get all the best deals. Can't wait to get over there - Pumpers & Cleaners here I come!

Comment

I respectfully submit that an auger is not to be used to clear a blockage.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• DATS
                    DATS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not by itself, I agree - but sometimes when roots grow so much & get compacted, I find by drilling through the roots it weakens the compaction resistance allowing for larger cutters to get in there a finish the job.

DATS, please check your Private Messages. Thanks, Josh

Comment

In small pipe / 1.5 & 2" an auger is a good option. But on 3" and larger, my root saw is my go to cutter. It guts in forward rotation and is an auger in reverse rotation.

all else fails, my reverse auger will always get it done.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      I respectfully submit that an auger is not to be used to clear a blockage.

Agree, I've yet to use one for opening a line, only as a retrieval tool.

Comment

If I have a line that I know is full of paper and wipes I use the Auger.

Most other Tools bog up.

Comment

• toolaholic
                          toolaholic commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like that " BOG UP " Don't " Bog Up on Me Now ! "

• DATS
                          DATS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks fixitright - good to know someone gets what I mean ...maybe it's my Kiwi accent ...lol

Hey Rick couldn't you cut the female end off and run the cable backwards thru the machine In reverse and it would go forward?

Comment

Working...
                        X