Sore back, K60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sore back, K60

So my truck was broken into and all my power tools including my General mainline drum machine and my two general mini rooters. I haven't been happy with the general junk for awhile now and after reading a lot about the K60 on here I decided to buy one and move away from the drum machine for mainlines. I've used the K60 twice now to clear a couple of sewer lines through the toilet flange but find it's killing my back from leaning over to guide the cable into the flange. With my old drum machine the feed much higher off of the floor and while I sat on my tool box while feeding the cable into the flange it was comfortable. With my K60 I'm still sitting on my tool box but leaning over a lot further killing my back in the process. Are you guys placing the K60 on something to bring it up higher, or are you kneeling next to the machine like the ridgid K60 instructional videos killing your knees instead?? I'm also going to be making the Rick Reverse Auger. I've seen it made two ways on here. One with chopping down the cable 6" or so past the male end which I guess you'd have to feed the cables backwards into the machine and one 2' or so past the female end that would act like a giant whip attachment. Is there a benefit from one way to the other? Thank you.

I use the machine on my knees and always use kneepads http://www.coopersafety.com/product/...-pad-1534.aspx I do understand your pain....for me it's my shoulder. That's why the dreel gets first nod whenever possible.

Maybe you can post a picture of your setup so we can offer some better suggestions?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i kneel on a 2' x 2' foam kids play square. 3/4'' think and water proof. they interlock to make a large square, but 24'' x 24'' is great. they sell an 8 pack at costco for about 15.00

i cut the male end off and make the whip just past the tight wind. this gives me a 14' 6'' section of cable. you could always cut the cable in half and utilize both ends if you need to extend the last cable into the drain about 7' the male end will still drive the rest of the cable ahead of it.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

You're going to miss the ease of running a drum machine. Scrap those General POS and get a Ridgid or Spartan.

Comment

Been using a 1065 for years..bring in my 5 gallon bucket with a padded seat..go to town.

Comment

A 1065 inside a bathroom from the 70's or earlier is pretty tight . The 300 maybe. Dreel in a bathroom? That sounds like a mess and a 1/2. OP, why not set the machine up on top of a milk crate or something ? I've done that with the k50 and k60 before to get the cable at a comfortble height or a better angle to the drain opening. I sure hope your mainlines are 4" pipe and not 6" clay or you may be in for some serious fruatration.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              A 1065 inside a bathroom from the 70's or earlier is pretty tight . The 300 maybe. Dreel in a bathroom? That sounds like a mess and a 1/2. OP, why not set the machine up on top of a milk crate or something ? I've done that with the k50 and k60 before to get the cable at a comfortble height or a better angle to the drain opening. I sure hope your mainlines are 4" pipe and not 6" clay or you may be in for some serious fruatration.
              I always thought Ridgid should offer a case for the K60 that could double as a stand when necessary. Should be enough room for different heads, gloves, a wrench or two.

Clamshell with the carry handle sticking through? Fully enclosed would be better to me. Could be safer from the elements in an open truck. Need to be a strong handle and body.

Get on it!

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

I always thought Ridgid should offer a case for the K60 that could double as a stand when necessary. Should be enough room for different heads, gloves, a wrench or two.

Clamshell with the carry handle sticking through? Fully enclosed would be better to me. Could be safer from the elements in an open truck. Need to be a strong handle and body.

Get on it!
                I found a long milk carton works good. you have to bungee the carton so it doesn't fall down but works great.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Showing my ignorance. What's a long milk carton?

Comment

hell i just use a milk4 gal type and push the machine back if it decides to leave home. it's what i got. i find a comfy spot to set. not that i'm lazy, but i am. thank you very much. i run it in reverse to enter and forward to exit. let it do the work. i have a stub of pvc i don't remember how long. 16" ??? to long it will tip the machine. to extend the clutch handle. i don't guide anything. my rick cable i cut about in half. 1 kinked on the end like rick. the second is in coiled to make a 3" give or take spiral end.

more to come.

ice cream. raz

Comment

Sometimes a set the machine on this step ladder thing from harbor freight and sit on a bucket next to the machine.

http://m.harborfreight.com/step-stoo...not%20provided

I'm on my knees most the time though (knee pads). Only thing I don't like about setting the machine up and using a bucket to sit on... Is I don't feel like I have a ton Of leverage on the clutch. Sometimes I'll lean my forearm against the lever and run the clutch like that.

Depends on situation and whatever is comfortable in that given situation

Comment

I always feel it the next day after using the 60
                      Especially if you have a tuffy. If the cable get struggled up while trying to pull back . Ouch . It's ok though that moola eases the pain 😊💷💲💰🍻. I'm going to start using one of those velcro back braces and knee pads though . Just got a cortisone shot in my right shoulder today 😢😡😬😲. I love getting g old 😉
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X