Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 Product Improvement

Greetings From Elyria!

I am Tony Briggs, Drain Cleaning Product Manager for RIDGID. Josh has tasked me with trying to improve upon the design and capabilities of the K-60 Machine. I thought getting thoughts from the biggest and best collection of Drain Cleaning minds would be a great start. I am looking for feedback on what we could do to improve the K-60 Machine (besides adding a drum to it ). I would appreciate input from avid K-60 users...ahem Rick....as well as non-users.

Thanks for your time and have a great holiday season!

Tony

Originally posted by DrainCleaningTony View Post
    Greetings From Elyria!

I am Tony Briggs, Drain Cleaning Product Manager for RIDGID. Josh has tasked me with trying to improve upon the design and capabilities of the K-60 Machine. I thought getting thoughts from the biggest and best collection of Drain Cleaning minds would be a great start. I am looking for feedback on what we could do to improve the K-60 Machine (besides adding a drum to it ). I would appreciate input from avid K-60 users...ahem Rick....as well as non-users.

Thanks for your time and have a great holiday season!

Tony

Damn...

Comment

Actually there are some that do use the drum adapter on the k60, maybe make an official adapter that's designed for the k60.

Of course, a larger k60 version of the same design as the k60 that will accept 1.25" sectional cables.

Shorter cables for us drill users too.

More cable choices for the 7/8" cable including a reverse wound leader cable aka a rick reverse auger. This way we don't have to spin the cable in reverse and create an auto feed affect by doing so.

a mounting adjustable tristand with angle adjustment. Good for when the cleanouts are 4-5' off the ground, keeps me from strapping the k60 onto a top of a ladder or a trash can.

even something as simple as a scratch awl for the cable release tool. The factory pin tool Is clumsy and easily lost. I use both a scratch awl and a proper size phillips screwdrider ground to a 45 edge. Great for removing roots from the cable windings too.

Even a foot activated clutch handle when we work in the standing position and need both hands free. This could be a simple slide on attachment.

Led lights are so cheap and efficent now, how about some head lights or a mini spot light that's able to allow us to look into a cleanout or light up our area. Even an accesory outlet for a cord or usb for a phone or led lights,

Heck just throw another roundup and we can go play in the shop like mad scientist.

Better hurry up as the RICK 60 is almost compleated.

Rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

• HVAC HAWK
        HVAC HAWK commented
        Editing a comment
        Im for another Roundup, even if it is just to get together and go to Ridgid to play with the toys and say Hi

Last edited by gear junkie; 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• Mark7
        Mark7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Adjustable front leg for working on roofs......always thought that was the neat thing about the older K60.

• DrainCleaningTony
        DrainCleaningTony commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to meet you at Pumper Gear. Thanks for the feedback.

Best,

Tony

Ben would also like the handles knurled and the same diameter as an olympic weight lifter bar. Ridgid branded chalk is also an option. :P

I second what Ben said about the tapered ring or flare out the end of the machine just a bit. I keep the basket near the machine and run the cable through the back end of the hose guide up through the machine and when the male ridgid end gets to the back of the machine, it's a trouble to make the cable go into the back of the machine.

I think the open-through baskets that General sells is better that the one sided basket design that Ridgid uses.

A K-60 styled machine that would run 1 1/4 cables like the rothenberger they no longer sell in the US would be a good machine.

Get rid of the cord. Just toss it out and put a recessed plug on the machine. Look at how Gorlitz has their machines plug in.

What about a poly cable carrier? it's a PITA to bag the cable when you're taking wet cables through a house/building.

Comment

Don't own it, so I default to others' ideas. Seems most have been covered anyway.

Only idea I've had is what Gear Junkie says. A case for it. Split like a clamshell in some way is what I envision.

Look into maintenance and durability to see if you can tweak something here or there. Some have bearing and alignment issues from time to time.

I have had a General I-95 for several years and don't do anything to it other than abuse it. Even stupidly left it out in a heavy rainstorm a couple of times. Let dry, hit the switch, keep on trucking.

I've been using a spare tire cover on the cable reel for some time and that has worked pretty well with helping keep an area cleaner. You could offer that with the reel and RIDGID easily screened on it. Maybe Spring Fling it.

Comment

you guys already know you have the wrong bearings in the K60. the way the load is applied on them they need to be tapered rollers. they would probably never go bad if they were proper.

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
            Swade Plumbing commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! I have had to replace more bearings than I can count in my K-60!

• DrainCleaningTony
            DrainCleaningTony commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Flush,

I will be meeting with engineering soon to discuss the bearings issue. You aren't the first to comment on it.

Best,

Tony

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Actually there are some that do use the drum adapter on the k60, maybe make an official adapter that's designed for the k60.

Of course, a larger k60 version of the same design as the k60 that will accept 1.25" sectional cables.

Shorter cables for us drill users too.

More cable choices for the 7/8" cable including a reverse wound leader cable aka a rick reverse auger. This way we don't have to spin the cable in reverse and create an auto feed affect by doing so.

a mounting adjustable tristand with angle adjustment. Good for when the cleanouts are 4-5' off the ground, keeps me from strapping the k60 onto a top of a ladder or a trash can.

even something as simple as a scratch awl for the cable release tool. The factory pin tool Is clumsy and easily lost. I use both a scratch awl and a proper size phillips screwdrider ground to a 45 edge. Great for removing roots from the cable windings too.

Even a foot activated clutch handle when we work in the standing position and need both hands free. This could be a simple slide on attachment.

Led lights are so cheap and efficent now, how about some head lights or a mini spot light that's able to allow us to look into a cleanout or light up our area. Even an accesory outlet for a cord or usb for a phone or led lights,

Heck just throw another roundup and we can go play in the shop like mad scientist.

Better hurry up as the RICK 60 is almost compleated.

Rick.

Why not supply a relining chair with every K-60 so we can be comfortable when clearing a blockage

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Why not supply a relining chair with every K-60 so we can be comfortable when clearing a blockage

Tony

That's called a drum machine

Comment

a. do away with hex key for cable adjustment- make it key less.
              b. get rid of cable wrap and velcro- I never unwrap it anyway- just use an extension cord- as per a tip by a very frequent poster.
              c. I also use an awl or a nail when I can't find my awl.
              d. I like the idea of handles for the cages.

Comment

Larger version that spins 1 1/4 cables and 7/8 cables without any adjustment, and maybe a snap in jaw set so we can use 5/8 cables as well. (Three machines in one)

Give the clutch handle more travel so no jaw adjustment needed when using 7/8 or 5/8 cables. The lever will travel a short distance to engage the 7/8 and a little more travel for the 5/8. This way there is no chance of maladjustment and less parts used overall.

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                  Swade Plumbing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  YES YES and YES! Make it more compact and portable than the K-1500 and this machine will sell like hotcakes in the Midwest!

That's how my general route66 works. Sort of like a drill press quill feed. Works good and a simple non adjutable design.

has 2 different holes for a handle to insert. 1 position for 5/8" and 1 for 7/8" cable.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I second the notion of fixing the problem with the bearings. I have had to replace the bearings in my machine at least once per year since I have owned it. Huge pain because it always happens after the machine sits for a week or so (I don't use mine every day, especially since I acquired a Rothenberger R750).

The Rothenberger R750 is the machine that others have referenced. It can run 1.25", 7/8" and 5/8" cables. Give us a machine like that! A hybrid of the K-60 and K-1500. A 3/4 hp motor, and ability to run all 3 cable sizes with an adapter if needed for either the smaller or larger cables. Call it the K-600. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I've been asking for a Ridgid machine like this for years!!
                  Drain cleaning machine for pipe Ø 20 - 200 mm - For professional mobile drain cleaning. Compact, robust and powerful, even by the toughest pipe obstructions

Comment

Last edited by gear junkie; 05-22-2018, 09:09 PM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• Swade Plumbing
                      Swade Plumbing commented
                      Editing a comment
                      YES.....The R-750 will not. Well, it can, but you have to be careful not to get the fittings jammed in the clutch.

The Ridgid and Rothenberger cables are more like 1-3/16". The Eel cables are just a little bit bigger.

I don't get it. Why want a heavy expensive machine to drive 1.25" Eel cables when a drill is the best option ?

Comment

Working...
                    X