No announcement yet.

Purchasing K-60SP soon, have some questions that require on hands-on experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing K-60SP soon, have some questions that require on hands-on experience

I've used drum machines since day one, I know what Gorlitz cables will do/won't do (for the most part). But I have never dealt with these All-Purpose Wind cables before.

How does the All-Purpose Wind 5/8" cable compare to a 11/16" Gorlitz cable in terms of flexibility, torque capacity (without becoming a pretzel) and so on?

Is the 5/8" tight-wind about the same as a 5/8" Gorlitz cable?

I'm trying to decide what I should buy. All I plan on doing is running 2", 3" and 4" lines with the K-60SP and I'm actually thinking that the 7/8" cable might be too bulky, heavy (and also expensive) for what I plan on doing. The roots out here ain't bad, to be honest. It's not like the San Fernando Valley down where I'm at.

There's no way I can carry a drum machine in my vehicle, so no GO 68, no 1065... sadly, it's just not an option.

I have been reading great things about this Ridgid K-60SP on here from you guys, it seems like it doesn't quite pack the punch or convenience of the auto-feeding drum machine, but it seems super portable and maybe (I'm guessing) about 75% as effective if you know how to work it, from the sound of it.

Without the need to drive a 4" cutter through heavy roots, would the 5/8" all-purpose cable be good enough? I'm also interested to know if the 5/8" all-purpose cable can run through 3" p-traps, such as a restaurant floor drain?

ALSO... would it be possible to get the 5/8" all-purpose cable down a 2" cleanout? The kind that is basically a test-tee with a plug in it?

Any recommendations are welcome, as well.

This is a post that AssTyme should answer.

Comment

Exactly
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the insight, guys. You clearly know your stuff.

Comment

I'll just use my own judgement. Thanks.

Comment

The K-60 is a great machine once you get use to it. As for traps, with a little finesse, you can even make it through an 1 1/2" Durham trap but be careful. I only carry a few tight wind cable, the open wind is what makes the K-60 a K-60. I would not use 5/8" in a main line for root. That is where you want to use a 7/8" cable.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What Mark said.

Don't know anything about Gorlitz nor do I use 5/8" cable.

The K-60 is a light to medium duty machine and only 7/8" cable should be used in a main.

I carry a K-60 and the Dreel in my truck.

I don't like problems so when in doubt (at all) the Dreel comes out.

We have some bizarre traps on occasion here but none that I know of as Durham traps.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/mec...-a-durham-trap
              Last edited by fixitright; 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

The 7/8" c10 cable easily navigates 2" cleanouts. Just don't attempt to go through a 2" no hub trap with 7/8" cable. Ask me why I know. 5/8" all day long on 2" laundry and shower traps.

The Gorlitz 11/16" cable Is not the same as the sectional 5/8" ridgid cables. but then again an 11/16" cable machine can't do what a k50 or k60 with 5/8" cable can do and visa versa.

I gave up drums about 8 years ago. I'm all sectional or jetter.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I will feel a lot better spending real money now.

Comment

Working...
                  X