Appreciate Your Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciate Your Thoughts

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate the discussion. I am removing the original post to help limit the exposure of the new unit (although I am well aware of caching and internet archive). Hope you got a screenshot when you had the chance!

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing many of you next week.
    Last edited by Rob D; 02-14-2018, 11:43 AM.
    RIDGID Drain Cleaning - We keep the world flowing.

what's the amp draw, rpm and size/weight?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
      PLUMBER RICK commented
      Editing a comment
      If a drain cleaner can't handle 55#, then they shouldn't be in the drain cleaning business. Sorry, but drain cleaning is not for wimps.
      Roof top cleaning is more of a west coast thing. Most companies don't allow their employees to go onto a roof for drain cleaning due to liability and potential fall hazards.
      2 months short of 55 a 55# machine is still a 1 arm job with the other arm carrying 90' of 7/8'' or 60' of 1.25'' cable. seriously, does moma need to ride shotgun with you guys.
      Yes, drain cleaning takes some strength and some real skills. 55# is not asking for a lot strength.

Rick.

• gear junkie
      gear junkie commented
      Editing a comment
      OSHA only applies to employees. Do whatever you like Rick. But the big picture is making this useable for all plumbers.....employees as well. People come in all shapes and size and building a tool where you must be this big to use just doesn't make sense.

• Cable or root
      Cable or root commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't the k60 like 40 to 45 pounds already? My Viking drum machine probably weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds when loaded with 90' of 3/8 cable and I have no problem lifting that on to a roof

My first reaction is that looks like a black plastic body. Or in the lying marketing terms "composite".

Now, there's nothing wrong with some plastic involved for weight savings or whatever. But I would encourage a thought toward durability. It's going to get bumped against metal & wood from time to time. And maybe more importantly, things are going to bump into it shifting in a van or whatever.

Just something to think about.

Your 'Key Attributes' look like some nice features that would lean me toward getting one. As asked though, the weight & amp draw are important things to know to give a more detailed opinion.

Comment

• Rob D
      Rob D commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely understand the concerns with durability. We conduct thorough testing to ensure the design meets the needs of the industry. To help alleviate some concerns, I will say the top housing is cast from aluminum and the injection molded lower housing is protected by a steel frame. This allows a lighter weight solution while achieving a level of durability expected by professionals.

I also added some details in reply to gear junkie regarding weight and amp draw. Hopefully that can help you with your evaluation.

I would concentrate on being able to provide equipment that you are supposed to sell currently. Why do you not have a sink drum 55007 for a k-3800. Neither do have a regular drum 55002. You have none what so ever in north america!! If I'd known I'd of gone with another manufacturer.

Comment

• fixitright
      fixitright commented
      Editing a comment
      If you do find some sink drums for the 3800, I want one.

• Drain-slayer
      Drain-slayer commented
      Editing a comment
      Ereplacementparts.com sells the 55007, the 55002 is sold most everywhere .. Try toolup.com for the 55002

• gear junkie
      gear junkie commented
      Editing a comment
      have you called AJ Coleman?

I don't want repeat myself from other posts to people who already read them but since a Ridgid rep is here I want to share my frustration. I tried to order the drum machine from my supply store Wolseley/Ferguson which I think is a pretty big chain. None in stock, none on order, maybe 9 months+ wait. Finally got one from ebay. Then I tried to order a spare drum once again none. I had to go through a multitude of supply houses. I got it after 2 months.

Now Like I said I want a sink drum or the very least a regular drum to hillbilly the cable. I've now called 8 places in Canada and the US. NOTHING!!!!

Now to comment on your prototype. Regular employee plumbers will carry that in their truck and with the cold weather jostling in the van, the plastic will break within the first week or pipes in the van will puncture right through. The protruding switch will also be destroyed by stuff piled on top of it. That's how plumbers roll, toss everything at days end in the back of the truck, gotta go home.

Comment

• fixitright
      fixitright commented
      Editing a comment
      Watch out, the guys on a roll.

LOL, take deep breaths and relax.

• AssTyme
      AssTyme commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd be pissed too... no reason not to have a simple drum in stock, somewhere. I have a spare of almost everything in my basement.

• gear junkie
      gear junkie commented
      Editing a comment
      Pro service...do you know how to start a new thread addressing your concerns?

Guys, this has the benefit of running the 1.25'' cable without the need of a k1500. 1 of the main reasons we don't carry the k-1500 in the van is because of size. So now we have a slightly larger k60 with the ability of running the k1500 cables.

They built it because we asked for it over the years.

I see it replacing the 1500 for size savings alone. Being slightly larger than a k60 with the ability to run both 7/8 and 1.25'' cable is a win win. The k60 with the power of the k1500.

I like it and I see a need for it for the guys that run sectional machines.

Sure, I might be bias, but they built what we asked for and did a good job at it too.

Could Rob D. be the next Josh? I sure think so.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I love my k60 and always wanted a k1500. I borrowed a k1500 from a friend then realized that carrying around 7/8 cable and 1.1/4 cable was out of the question. Saying that I would not buy it. I'm just wondering what took ridgid so long for this. The Rothenberger R750 has been out for years.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        yes it has, but try to buy 1 and get support for it over here in the USA. Good luck.

This ridgid machine will allow you to have both cables with just 1 small machine to run it with.

Rick.

• rod man
        rod man commented
        Editing a comment
        I see you are in California close to rothenberger so you can get the wrong parts faster Marvin

Originally posted by Drain-slayer View Post
      I love my k60 and always wanted a k1500. I borrowed a k1500 from a friend then realized that carrying around 7/8 cable and 1.1/4 cable was out of the question. Saying that I would not buy it. I'm just wondering what took ridgid so long for this. The Rothenberger R750 has been out for years.

Why would you say "carrying around 7/8 cable and 1.1/4 cable was out of the question"?

Your a drain guy, right? Isn't that what drain guys do? Carry cables?

I carry both 7/8" and 1.25" cables and I'm not even really a sectional guy but sometimes it makes life easier getting the job done.
      Last edited by AssTyme; 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Drain-slayer
        Drain-slayer commented
        Editing a comment
        I currently carry a k60 with 200', 68HD, 300, k400,k45, and a Erickson. So another 200' of 1.1/4 is just over kill. I use the 68HD 2 times a month so that's probably coming off the truck. Don't get me wrong the option to run 7/8- 1.1/4 cable with the same machine is great but I personally wouldn't buy it already having a k60 and a 68HD. This is perfect for someone not already with a k60.

• AssTyme
        AssTyme commented
        Editing a comment
        I have cables on my van that I sometimes only use once or twice per year. Sometimes they are the only thing that will open the drain.

IU you were replacing an old 1500 I think it is a good machine. The problem with the curent 1500 is it takes up too much room because of the design. Our 1500 (and 500) are left in the shop until we need them because of their size. The problem is no one wants to drive back to the shop anyways.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How many rpms? When is this supposed to hit the market? Looks like a winner
        -Byron

Comment

• AssTyme
          AssTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          700rpm.........

Cutter selection:

The cutters available for sectionals is limited. No pear type cutters.
        Nothing except expansion cutters that will conform to the interior of the pipe.

Comment

I have easily converted every kind of cutter to accept the Ridgid style connection. Very simple with a Dremel or die grinder.
          Take the round hole and open it up to a rectangle. Very simple task .

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm gonna agree with Rick on this one. While it might at times be a two man machine, it's a lot more compact than a 1500 and weights a lot less too. I think it's probably a decent machine for spinning 7/8 cable and maybe a bit tricky with 1-1/2" but time will tell. Maybe Ridgid can give Rick one to beta test for awhile.
            sigpic

Comment

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              They do that and he won't be able to Wack it.

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the whacker is less weight, but it doesn't cut heavy roots well.
              Based on all the wimps that think 55# is heavy, they probably don't have enough strength to whack it either.

Rick.

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, you have to watch your back and knees in this trade. Lots of old guys like me with bad backs and bad knees around. But yes, you can't be a wimp for sure.

55lbs is going to need some wheels.

How much does the 60 weigh?

Comment

• gear junkie
              gear junkie commented
              Editing a comment
              I think low 40's. It's gonna weigh about the same as a sack of concrete.

I'm going to agree with Gear Junkie and disagree with Rick on this one. A 10-15lb increase is pretty significant. Many can still complete what needs to be done with the extra weight, but as a general rule, when the weight on something like this goes up....safety in transport goes down. More people will get hurt if they attempt to use it like their K-60 in my opinion.

I think he's right too about some type of handle and wheels on the back. I could see that being very useful. Maybe some sort that goes into the two bases at the front? Slides out and clicks in place with extensions? when closed it's an extra bar across the front? Kind of like on a Magna-Cart.

Click the MCX below to get an idea. I have no affiliation. Just have a couple and like them.

Comment

Working...
            X