K-60 success after failure with k-7500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 success after failure with k-7500

I had to go to a Vietnamese restaurant that gets cleaned yearly. It is usually packed with grease plus the line is broken at about 80 feet. The break is severe enough that I can't get a 2" cutter through. They won't fix the line because it will cost a minimum of 60k since it's on a busy main street which will require closure of all lanes.

I was there last year trying to snake it with the k-7500 for about 4 hours but it just wouldn't open. This was after another guy spent 2 hours with his general drum machine. I used every bit I have including my grease cutter. Normally I'd jet a line like this but my pos jetter was broken. Finally my brother freed up and we popped it open with his jetter pretty quickly.

Fast forward to this week and the line is clogged again. Not surprisingly my pos jetter is down again, this time due to a bad starter. My brother was unavailable so I figured, what the heck, I'll give my little k-60 a shot at it.

I used the reverse auger after trying the spade bit which came back with mud and couldn't go past the break. It took me about an hour but I managed to get it open. As I was snaking I saw chunks of grease floating out from the cleanout. I continued running the cable as I ran clean water and dish soap to help clean off the cable.

I know I'll be back because the line is in bad shape plus they put a lot of grease down. Hopefully my jetter is working next time. I put a new starter on and it runs fine, for now. All in all I'm happy with the switch from drum to sectional. I still have my k-7500 because it's a good machine and I know I'll need it when my k-60 needs maintenance. So far I haven't had a job the k-60 couldn't handle.

If you run into Heavy roots your going to k-need your 7500.
    K-60 is good for medium to light roots the way we grow em up here.

I know from lots of experience. Got so tired of failure with my k-60 switched to the Dreel.
    Now I also have a Clog Dog.
    A place for every machine.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
      If you run into Heavy roots your going to k-need your 7500.
      K-60 is good for medium to light roots the way we grow em up here.

I know from lots of experience. Got so tired of failure with my k-60 switched to the Dreel.
      Now I also have a Clog Dog.
      A place for every machine.
      I have a dreel I can use as well. So far I haven't run into really thick roots so I can't compare performance. I've cut out a lot of roots but not those 7+ footers like I've had with the k-7500. I'm sure I'll run into something like that eventually but most clogs I get nowadays seem to be easier than what I used to do.

Comment

How do you not know that this last time the 7500 might have opened it? How do you not know that last year the k-60 might have failed?

All clogs are not created equil even though they are in the same line. Some yearly backups on the same line I've had to use different equipment to get it open.

Sectional cables can get some lines open faster it's just dealing with more labor and mess that sucks.

I own several drums, 1.25", 7/8" and 5/8" sectional cables.

Comment

• AssTyme
          AssTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          But yeah, for grease and sludge a sectional cable is first choice.

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
        How do you not know that this last time the 7500 might have opened it? How do you not know that last year the k-60 might have failed?

All clogs are not created equil even though they are in the same line. Some yearly backups on the same line I've had to use different equipment to get it open.

Sectional cables can get some lines open faster it's just dealing with more labor and mess that sucks.

I own several drums, 1.25", 7/8" and 5/8" sectional cables.
        I don't know if one would have worked over the other in the different snakings. All I know is what happened. This last time the owner went to home Depot and rented a drum machine. He told me he tried snaking for 2 hours before calling it quits.

Comment

Had a heavy grease stoppage inside a sushi restaurant yesterday with a 2'' wall cleanout. tried the k-9 and couldn't get past 10' ended up with the k-50 to 25' to get it to drain. jetting was not going to be an option as this was at the open food prep area. 5/8'' sectional was full of grease and some mud at the 25' maximum push.

Thanks,

Rick
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Had a heavy grease stoppage inside a sushi restaurant yesterday with a 2'' wall cleanout. tried the k-9 and couldn't get past 10' ended up with the k-50 to 25' to get it to drain. jetting was not going to be an option as this was at the open food prep area. 5/8'' sectional was full of grease and some mud at the 25' maximum push.

Thanks,

Rick

Why use the K-50? Why not from a drill? You seem to be a drill man.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              After trying to advance the cable with the drill past a certain point, i couldn't keep the cable from twisting even while using plastic flex as a guide. the cable came back full of grease and end of my reverse auger was packed with dirt.

Rick
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-02-2020, 01:04 AM.

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              Rick owns a K-9 ??????????????????????????????
              After all that bad mouthing?
              And next year the Vikings will win the Super Bowl.
              Wonders never cease.
              I got a good chuckle out of that one.

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              the badmouthing was the clogdog. it's massive size, cost , weight and other issues.

The k-9 is a scaled down unit of the clogdog. It's not designed for root stoppages. much smaller and less costly.

My go to unit is still my whacker. small powerful , cuts roots like a gardener cuts the lawn. cost is 20% of a k-9

Rick.

I had one simular to the Vietnamese restaurant years ago but was a coffee shop. The first time ( not knowing the pipe was partially collapsed ) I went down from a 4 " vent on the roof of back to back bathrooms with my dreel.... just ended up grinding at about 40' in..... after using all Eels cutters I was able to clear it with my " cork screw " a variation of the reverse auger.

I camera'd and located the problem spot inside the building ( slab ) and informed the owner it's going down for now but could not warranty the work..... through out the years they would call me 3-4 times a year for the same clog and would use my trusty cork screw to open it up.

The owner sold to a mom and pop type of coffee shop and one day while driving by I notice 2 guys on the roof with a drum machine.. so the next day I went out of my way to drive by and drum machine still there with about 5 service trucks.... so I had to check it out and parked my van down the road and turned my sweat shirt inside out and went in to order a coffee and there they were busting up the slab at the problem spot.

Comment

Working...
            X