Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: k-60 sewer machine

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    allclear, have you ever been to a rental yard, home depot and see how many machines they have available for rent?

they are not just renting them to the pros

sure a non pro has a better chance of getting hurt, but they are still going to continue renting machines to the eager homeowner.

i doubt that paul is going into business. he's only doing his own property and i give him credit for it

i have a hand full of accounts that own their own machine. sure they do the gravy, and i get the cr@p.

i am waiting for adam to get into drain cleaning. a plumber that knows construction from the ground up, is going to be the sharpest drain cleaner out there adam, can you hear what i'm saying

rick.
    I recently rented one of these "rental yard" machines...I don't do much drain cleaning, and only own a top snake. My wife's uncle has a rental house which had a main line stoppage (sewage coming out of the sewer popper that I had installed a few weeks ago). He wants me to go "take a look at the situation and if I can fix it to do so. So since I knew what was going on I was proactive and rented the machine (not sure of the brand name 7/8 open drum machine, 85' cable, no power feed) got to the house (house sits only 40' from the city main) cleared stoppage, (spade bit followed by 3" spiral root cutter) and back to the rental yard in less than 2 hours. The rental bill for this piece of junk machine was over a hundred bucks...crazy, $50/hr for the rental alone...

This machine could have been very dangerous in the hands of someone too agressive.

Gotta buy a mainline machine.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by paul hopkins View Post
      I have been a construction worker for over 30 years. I did plenty of homework before buying this machine and read all the manuals, followed safety precautions and my drains all work better now than they have in over 20 years.

I am not a cheapskate by any means. I paid many different drain cleaning companies good money to clean my drains over the years and none were as successful than I just was.

My good friend is a plumber and he installed new sink, shower and toilet supply and drains in a rent house for me. But he doesn't do drain cleaning.

I spent quite a bit of money on the k-60 and plan to use it only on my own houses. No plans to try and enter the drain cleaning business.

I am proud to be a hard working intelligent American and if the "men" who came to steal my hard earned cash with their shabby craftsmanship had done a good job I would have been a life lone customer.

Such was not the case so rather than sit in the corner and cry about it I decided to do it my self.

btw, I tried a k-40 and decided against it.

I'll be getting a reel of 5/8 and a bulb auger next. And then a k-39.

My wife was ecstatic when she did a load of laundry. For the first time in 20 years absolutely no water came up in the kitchen. All the sinks and the tub drain instantly now too.
      Good post Paul,Thank you for taking the time to ealaborate.As you can see some guys like howling to the beat of their own drum.

I too am not afraid to take on anything.Away from plumbing I've lifted a house off the ground and repoured a new foundation
      and done a lot of framing and concrete.

So,I absolutely appreciate your zeal for wanting to keep the ball in your hands.Although this is not advisable for most people(I aquate it to them having the same ability to scale and prune a 110" eucalyptous tree with a 24" chainsaw)little heavy I know.But still,now you can grab and go resolve your issues as you have in the past with your other tool skills.No more extensive resources spent researching,calling,
      questioning attendance,inquiring at fee and most of all performance.

Welcome to the forum.
      ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
        The rental bill for this piece of junk machine was over a hundred bucks...crazy, $50/hr for the rental alone...
        HD Tool Rental has a smaller 75' machine for $28 for 4 hours and a larger 150' ? machine for something like $50 for 4 hours.

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;168117]
          Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          Rick it has nothing to do with any type of machine one uses. you really need to get over that one
          it really does as the sectional uses a clutch to control the cable rotation.
          we all know that if your 3/4'' drum with 100' of cable is spinning, and you let your foot off the pedal/ air switch, the drum will continue to spin many, many revolutions. lots of built up torque and the potential for the cable to release all that torque at once.

with the sectional and instant acting clutch. once you release the clutch handle, the cable will stop spinning and there is no more forward spinning torque. only a slight potential for any reverse built up torque.

rick.
          Rick
          Knowing when to release the clutch handle is no different then knowing when to let your foot off the pedal / air switch It`s really a no brainer
          Both machines can cut off you arm and or worse kill ya if you don't know what you are doing.
          You try and make it sound like you cant get hurt if you use a sectional machine.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

the k-39 is great for tubs and lav drains through the pop up and tub overflow.
            Do they have non-innercore cable for the k39? Mine came with innercore and sometimes I wonder if non-innercore cable would be better.

Sorry for hijacking the therad, guys
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

[quote=All Clear Sewer;168161]

Rick
              Knowing when to release the clutch handle is no different then knowing when to let your foot off the pedal / air switch It`s really a no brainer
              Both machines can cut off you arm and or worse kill ya if you don't know what you are doing.
              You try and make it sound like you cant get hurt if you use a sectional machine.
              allclear, you have got to be kidding me if you think a sectional is just as dangerous as a drum.

with a drum, you need to know 5 seconds in advance that your cable is binding and the drum is building up torque.

with the sectional, all you do is let go and it stops. no 5 second run on and then another 20 seconds of reverse hi speed auto torque rotation.

i think you really need to get a demo of this machine.

all talk and no show, it's not convincing anybody.

when was the last time someone came on the forum and said they just bought a new drum machine?

compare this to all the recent sectional machine purchases.

hard to praise something you don't own, or haven't demoed

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Allclear, get a sectional...it sounds like you need some experience. Even I have years of both drum and sectional experience, and I am *just* a plumber.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;168183]
                  Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

1. with a drum, you need to know 5 seconds in advance that your cable is binding and the drum is building up torque.

2. all talk and no show, it's not convincing anybody.

3. when was the last time someone came on the forum and said they just bought a new drum machine?

rick.
                  OK Rick
                  #1. If you have any hearing he can hear your drum machine tell you long before it`s to late to let off... Another "NO BRAINER" It`s like running any other machine, backhoe, milling machine and so on. you can hear when something's not right.
                  If you think for one minute that you cant over wind a sectional machine cable your NUTZZZZZZZZZ.

#2. I don't have to be convincing anybody, it`s not my job.
                  And as far as the "all talk and no show" I think I do way more sewer work then you so I`d say "I can Walk the Walk"!

#3. Last week :Killingme: to bad you cant read my PM`s
                  I think it was a 6200

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Allclear, get a sectional...it sounds like you need some experience. Even I have years of both drum and sectional experience, and I am *just* a plumber.
                    Been there Done that and "NO Thanks"
                    I`m just a newB and I dont need any experience

Comment

[quote=All Clear Sewer;168203]

OK Rick
                      #1. If you have any hearing he can hear your drum machine tell you long before it`s to late to let off... Another "NO BRAINER" It`s like running any other machine, backhoe, milling machine and so on. you can hear when something's not right.
                      If you think for one minute that you cant over wind a sectional machine cable your NUTZZZZZZZZZ.

i can torque my sectional cable up enough to actually cause the motor to switch rotation. but it has no 150# cable and flywheel/ drum to store the energy. it stops in less than a second. not 20-40 seconds like a over torqued drum. no stored energy, less chance of getting hurt.

has your drum ever run back wards at 5 times the speed and want to take off flying? i know my 7500 does that with my permission.

i have yet to have that on my k-60, even when i try. in fact i've only damaged 1- 15' cable in the hundreds of k-60 jobs so far. and that was because i had no choice. actually that damaged cable is now my favorite secret weapon cable i own.

#2. I don't have to be convincing anybody, it`s not my job.
                      And as far as the "all talk and no show" I think I do way more sewer work then you so I`d say "I can Walk the Walk"!

on a daily basis, yes, that's pretty much all you do.
                      on a lifetime basis, i doubt you've owned a powered snake since you were 13 and i'm 45 now. so in 32 years, i think i have more time under my belt. plus owning a huge variety of machines, i think i've got a good feeling of what works and what is easier to use. not always the fastest on a job by job basis, but overall the real winner in real life scenarios.

#3. Last week :Killingme: to bad you cant read my PM`s
                      I think it was a 6200
                      i rather doubt your 1 pm last week can come close to the hundreds of p.m i get on drain cleaning and k-60 questions.

i think joey can attest to my p.m. and phone calls

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

why dont you two stop fighting about this and get the real deal!!! I mean what are you guys going to do when you have a 24" lateral that is 450 feet long!!!

Comment

WS, Is that one of your trucks?

Comment

I wish, justa google image search, I am just stirring the pot!

Comment

Originally posted by paul hopkins View Post
                              We have lived in this house for over 20 years and the washer has always come up in the kitchen sink. We have had the drain cleaned at least a dozen times when it got to where the sink would overflow on to the floor during rinse cycles.

i have 7/8 cable and couldn't get it to go through the undersink access which is all the way on the uphill side of the drain system.

So I went up on the roof and figured I'd run 4 sections, 60 ft. Hit an obstruction at about 30 ft. Hooked on to an old cable someone had broken off in there! Pulled it out with the extractor.

I think I need different augers. I used the 101 straight bit and had a little trouble getting it in at first. I think the pipe is 2" but maybe only 1.5???

Maybe I will pick up one of the little sink units like the k39 or something and clean all the little drains around the houses too.
                              I don't know why the argument over drain cleaning is even occurring. The poster says he's lived in the house for over 20 years and the W/M has ALWAYS backed up in the kitchen sink. Percentage wise, this really leans toward it being plumbed wrong. Now some lint/soap buildup has finally sent it overflowing from the sink. Properly cabling the line will probably correct it to the point of just "filling the kitchen sink" again without it overflowing. I think he'd be better off getting a plumber to check the DWV and this would correct things for the longterm. He could probably sell his K-60 and make more than enough to correct this. Maybe.

EDIT: Just went back and reread that the OP corrected his problem to the point that it did not backup in the kitchen sink. So maybe he corrected it. I'd still have a licensed plumber look at it. Not just a friend that does plumbing or a licensed shop that will send out someone working under their license.

P.S. No paint down the drain. No, not even water based. My two cents.

J.C.
                              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

the pipe is 2" WRONG

my guess is that the guys who cleaned the lines before never went far enough. plus someone left a piece of their snake in there and either didn't know it or just decided to not say anything

the washer no longer comes up in the kitchen sink at all and there is no spillage where the drain tube sets into the pipe. it actually spins a full tub completely empty in less time now too, no back pressure.

no more stopping the machine half way through the cycle to let the pipes drain, no more towel tied around the drain connection, and no turkey pan under the trap to catch the overflow.

anyway, my wife is getting the laundry done in record time and is very happy.

edit: i was wrong about the pipe. it is only 1.5"
                                Last edited by paul hopkins; 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM. Reason: mistaken about pipe size

Comment

Working...
                                X