X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 sewer machine

in the last 2 days, my k-60 sectional machine came through for me like a champ.

tuesday, i broke off a cable, (3/4'' k-7500 machine) and cutter in a miserable root stoppage at approx. 41' in from the cleanout. it was only about a 1 ' section of cable lost. so i put a new connector and retriever on the broken end.

first i ran my seesnake to see where in the line the cable was located. it was at 41' in. the challenge was to grab the end of the cable and pull it back without geting hung up in a wye at 38'. well i managed to get stuck in the wye and broke off the cable and retriever. now 2 cables and a cutter and retriever.

running out of choices i ran the camera from the other location, thinking i can bypass the wye branch and pull it back straight through the fitting. the problem with this location was, it too had a wye at 28' in. so i decided to go back in from the original location with my k-60 7/8'' sectional cable and retriever. this time i pushed the camera in to assure i hooked the end of the second cable. i was still worried about the wye at 38'. well after a few attempts i was free. got back both cables, cutter, retriever and roots

the 3/4'' cable broke off at approx. 1' from the end of both cables. probably from age or chemical. it was almost 2 years old and has never failed me. i got back to the shop and installed a new 3/4'' cable.

the next day, i had a main line stoppage at a new clients home. the house only had a 2'' clean out. the roof vent was also only 2''. so i decided to give it a shot with the k-60 7/8'' cable with auger end. i managed to get into the 3'' line after the first 13'. continued in and thought i cleared it at 35' in. it backed up while i was still running it. i continued with some effort to 60'. it was running good now

i ended up pulling out lots of roots. even though the auger was just over 1'' in diameter, the open wind of the cable was also cutting and tearing the roots apart.

the owner had me camera the line to locate the problem. to my amazement the line was root infested from 30' at the cast to clay connection, to 54' at the 6 x 4'' lateral tee. i will be installing a 4'' c/o on friday at the 30' cast to clay connection. they have lived there 6 years with no root stoppages. (1930's home)

the k-60 came through 2 days in a row to save me and get me through the day

now the k-60 will be used for more than roof jobs. it will be used for problem stopages with hard access.

just thought i would share my first hand experiences.

rick.
    phoebe it is

I don't want to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick, thanks for the post. I work the waste haulers show in nashville every year so I see our product for 4 days straight and get to hear sales pitches many more times than I would like. A lot of the people at the show swear by the K60. Its small but it gets the job done. It cant blast through boards in 10 seconds like the k1500, but I would guess jobs where solid blocks of wood are lodged in a drain are pretty rare ;-)

Glad you retrieved those cables. Coulda been a long day or week for ya.

Josh

Comment

K-60

Just read the post on the K-60,I have been using the k-15oo+K-50 for almost 30 yrs,looking for maybe a lighter piece of equipment,give me a rating compared to the 1500 on root jobs.I live in the mid-west,homes with basements some tuff root jobs,can the k-60 handle those situations + what is the biggest blade you can use on these jobs?Also great work on your retreiving efforts.

Comment

[quote=tbplumbloco]Just read the post on the K-60,I have been using the k-15oo+K-50 for almost 30 yrs,looking for maybe a lighter piece of equipment,give me a rating compared to the 1500 on root jobs.I live in the mid-west,homes with basements some tuff root jobs,can the k-60 handle those situations + what is the biggest blade you can use on these jobs?Also great work on your retreiving efforts.[/quote

mark/ toutahnow, can give you a first hand assessment since these are the machines he uses. he is pretty good at responding to these questions late at night or early am.

i don't own a k-1500. i do own a few k-750 and k-7500, 3/4'' cable machines.
          i don't feel that the k-60 will do a heavy root job. but it will do a light root job with ease. also for the roof, it's great. the 7/8'' cable comes in 15' sections and it will run a 4'' blade. the 7500 is the machine i use for heavy roots. the k-60 was used in this case for a 2'' cleanout to open a 4'' line full of roots approx. a 24' section of roots. i did install a 4'' c/o today and ran my 7500 in to clean the line properly.

i got real lucky with the retreiving of the 2 cables the other day.the camera was the difference between failure and success thanks.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by tbplumbloco
            Just read the post on the K-60,I have been using the k-15oo+K-50 for almost 30 yrs,looking for maybe a lighter piece of equipment,give me a rating compared to the 1500 on root jobs.I live in the mid-west,homes with basements some tuff root jobs,can the k-60 handle those situations + what is the biggest blade you can use on these jobs?Also great work on your retreiving efforts.
            Rick is right I really like the Ridgid sectional machines. I have sold my plumbing shop but I kept the following snakes a K-500 (the real brute), a KM-1500A, a K-60SP, a K-50 and a K-39. The K-60s will do anything a K-1500 will do in lines up to 4". Larger than 4" pipe you would notice a difference.

The K-60 runs 7/8 and smaller cable so of course a 1 1/4 cable will out preform it but you will not notice it in a 4" line. In my opinion, if you carried a K-60 you would rarely have a need to take the K-1500 off of the truck. The big advantage to the K-60 is it is so much more portable than the K-1500 and fits in your truck easily.

Spiral cutters are available up to 3" and sharktooth cutters are available up to 4".

Mark

Comment

K-60

Thanx for the feed-back,I closed my shop + sold the tools and relocated for a UAW journeyman position,now with the cutbacks in the trades I have just about replaced everything and recently purchased another k-1500 w/180' of 1.25"cable.The k-60 is now on my wish list.

Comment

Re: k-60 sewer machine

more k-60 amazement

had a customer today with 4'' area drains in the rear yard, buried under a concrete patio. the problem was the piping was cheep styrene plastic with non directional, non glued joints. the pipe was full of roots

took 3 hours from start to finish to remove a 5 gallon bucket full of roots. the large ones were approx 3/4'' in diameter. got all the drains working and the customer is thrilled. the check is already in the mail

the problem with this styrene pipe is that it allows the roots in, since the joints are not glued. the second problem is the fittings have no sweep or directional flow. the great thing about the k-60 machine is the 7/8'' cable is strong and yet flexable. this allowed the cable to cut the heavy roots and also negotiate? the 90's. after many runs and wrong turns,(no way to controll the direction it goes in a downstream tee) i cleared the line to the street. over 75' from the closest drain. even removing 1 section at the curb that was a full 4'' in diameter and 6' long that one stopped traffic and a guy on his cell phone walking his kid

when i pulled this section out, the guy on his phone stopped talking to the person on the other end and spoke to me about his drain problem

the other guy driving stopped his car and spoke to me about his issues too

in the past, i had very little luck with my 3/4'' innercore cable. just too stiff and not able to get around the 90's. my jetter does a good job, but the area would flood prior to clearing the lines.

try the k-60, you'll like it. mikey does so does plumber rick

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Say Rick what kind of auger do you find does the best job on roots for your K-7500 ?

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
                    Say Rick what kind of auger do you find does the best job on roots for your K-7500 ?
                    i have started to use a spiral root saw. the ones i use have teeth cut on both sides. this way i can cut coming and going

the pear shape cutters also do a good job, but i've found for a real nasty root job, the spiral root saw works best. i use a blade 1/2'' smaller than the pipe. also a good 2' leader will help negoiate the turns.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm so glad this thread popped back up....I feel alot better now knowing that rick broke off 2 cables in one line.

Earlier this week I used my K-50 for the very first time and broke the cable trying to reverse the cable out of roots...I felt like a complete idiot...the job was at a friend's house. The cable...4 sections...is still in my friends drain line, but at least the drain is useable now.

I was able to hook onto the cable with a retrieving auger but was worried about breaking another cable so I let sleeping dogs lie.

Any ideas/solutions would be much appreciated...I only have the K-50 and a few smaller drain cleaning machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal1 View Post
                        I'm so glad this thread popped back up....I feel alot better now knowing that rick broke off 2 cables in one line.

Earlier this week I used my K-50 for the very first time and broke the cable trying to reverse the cable out of roots...I felt like a complete idiot...the job was at a friend's house. The cable...4 sections...is still in my friends drain line, but at least the drain is useable now.

I was able to hook onto the cable with a retrieving auger but was worried about breaking another cable so I let sleeping dogs lie.

Any ideas/solutions would be much appreciated...I only have the K-50 and a few smaller drain cleaning machines.
                        If I am not mistaken even the K-50s owners manual warns about using it on roots. That being said I have used it to open root stoppages enough to get the drain flowing and then used a larger machine to finish the cleaning.

If the largest cable you have is a 5/8" I'm not sure you will be able to get the old cable out without breaking another. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a K-60.

Good luck-Mark

Comment

norcal, i know that the k-50 is rated for 4'' lines, but not roots i would be scared on anything above 3''. the cables are just too flexiable.

as far as the cable being stuck. do you know how far in the cable is stuck? the cables are 7.5' each. you will need a larger cable with a retriver to try and hook the broken end of the cable. if you hook it too far from the broken end, you will have a hard time to pull it out if there is a tee or wye.

the k-60 is a great step up from the k-50.it will run both the 7/8'' x 15' cables and the same k-50 5/8'' x 7.5' cables.

if you plan on heavy root clearing, i would jump up to the k750,7500 or 1500.

see if you can get a local drain guy to help you pullout the 5/8'' cable.

a camera really helps to hook the end.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Pulled this out with my K-7500
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

What is better sparton or trojan sewer machine

Comment

Working...