Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put my whole bath room on a separate circuit.

Back with more questions on upgrading my old house. It seems that almost the whole house, other than what I have upgraded for the kitchen area, is on a 15amp Circuit. I would like to put the only bathroom in the house on a separate circuit so that I can run a hair dryer without tripping the circuit. The bathroom has only one outlet, and one fan/light combo. I am guessing they had piggy backed power from the only outlet in the next door bedroom to the bathroom outlet and from there to the light/fan . if that’s the case, does it make sense to disconnect the power from the outlet and just run a new wire to a new 15 amp circuit? What is the best way to approach this?

Does the power run through the bathroom to another outlet or is the bathroom the end of the line?

Assuming the bath is the end of the line, disconnect the power at the box that feeds to the bathroom, cut the wires back so they cannot be reconnected ever.

Running the new circuit is pretty straight forward if you know what you're doing. A single circuit per bath is not unusual. That's the way I do new houses. Each bath on a separate circuit.

Comment

You can't put a 15A circuit in a bathroom it has to be a 20A.

Comment

the plugs have to be 20 amp i would leave the fan light as is because its not pulling hardly anything anyway a 100 watt bulb and a small fan is nothing i would run a 12/2 to a plug and put it on a gfi plug

Comment

Hey NDMaster,

Are you saying your preference is a 20A circuit? I am not aware of a code that states that bathroom have to be 20A, if there is please let me know which code applies. I can understand the perference since you do not want a hairdryer to pop the breaker when the lights are on.
          JC

Comment

ground fault

dont forget the ground fault........or if u cant in the bath, ground fault that whole circuit in the fuse box,,,,,,, gl tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Ski John View Post
              I am not aware of a code that states that bathroom have to be 20A, if there is please let me know which code applies.
              Here you go:
              NEC-2005 210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
              Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
              So the receptacles have to be on a 20A circuit. Lighting may remain on the 15A circuit if you so desire.

I agree with SparkyNC, do it the way he described.

Comment

thanks rocky mountain sparky glad to see someone here agrees with doing it the common sense way a lot of people who post on this site seem to go a bit overboard and confuse someone who is having a little trouble to begin with and if u see tommy i did say use a gfi plug

Comment

Working...
                X