Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Breakers...same outlets and lights?

Wife and I had our final inspection yesterday which we did not pass because of minor stuff. One was that the breaker panel was not labeled so last night we took care of it but there was one thing that perplexed me.

1) I turned all the breakers in the house off and turned them on one at a time while the wife would call out what the breaker had tripped.

2) Early on in the process I re-set #5 and she called out "The xxx Room Lights and Outlets". I then re-tripped #5 and the lights went out. I repeated the process with 7-37 odds and then 2-28 evens.

3) When I re-set #30 she called out "The xxx Room Lights and Outlets". I said "Can't be, #5 was that line". So we double and triple checked the breakers and sure enough they both independently control the same room (not like a three way).

So...
    If #5 is On and #30 is On, lights work
    If #5 is On and #30 is Off, lights work
    If #5 is Off and #30 is On, lights work
    If #5 is Off and #30 is Off, lights do not work

I don't think this is critical to getting our C.O. but it has me baffled. Any ideas?
    Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

Re: Two Breakers...same outlets and lights?

Someone messed up and tied in two feeds.

Comment

I agree, two feeds tied together. Start checking each outlet and light receptical for the double up. Also lights and recepticals should be on seperate breakers. Hope this helps

Comment

there is no need for lights and receps to be on different breakers unless the receps are an appliance circuit or otherwise run on 12 with a 20 amp feed.
        You may even have fed the circuit at both ends, in which case, I would suggest you break it in the middle somewhere and have 2 circuits.
        Can't hurt.
        Licensed Philadelphia electrician
        Philadelphia emergency lighting certification

Comment

If breaker #5 is on and breaker #30 is on and both circuits are tied togehter one of the breakers SHOULD pop off becasue now you have a short between phases. Breaker 5 and breaker 30 are on opposite phases and if the 2 come together one of the breakers (the weaker of the 2) will pop pretty much right away. I would go back and check that when #5 is on and you switch on #30, that #5 does not trip. It should if the circuits are tied together. On the other hand they could be tied together through a load and if that is the case, the lights in the room would be dimmer or possibly brighter (depends) than usual or else the voltage at the outlets would be less(or more depending) than nominal (about 120v). Any number of things could have gone wrong it would have to be investigated. But, if as you say #5 and #30 are on at the same time and the circuits are tied together "hard", one of the breakers will pop indeed. At this point, have you found out what was wrong? have you noticed the lights dimmer or brighter than they should be or is the voltage at the outlets lower or higher than it should be? Lights and convience outlets in a bedroom or such CAN be on the same breaker.

Comment

Perhaps you forgot to break the hot connecting tab on an half switched light receptacle...

Comment

On my panel 5 & 30 are on the same 'phase' so both breakers could be tied together on a single circuit and not pop

Comment

Not being an electrician per se, something doesn't add up. In the first part you say that if #5 is tripped then the lights go off, then if #30 is tripped the lights go off, then in your summary you say both have to be off for the lights to go off. One of those statements should be in error, you can't have both. If they are fed from the same line one breaker behind the other then one or both will shut off the line. If they feed the line from opposite ends then both would have to be off to kill the feed, you would have not found the issue except with a LOT of trial and error.

My guess is the line is hooked up in series (I think thats right) so either breaker can kill the line. The problem should be in the panel...

Just my guess. Hard to do without seeing the setup.

Clato

Comment

Working...
                X