Capacitor on 1 1/2 hp motor of table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor on 1 1/2 hp motor of table saw

I have a very good 10 year old cast iron table saw. A few months ago I started having a problem with the motor. When I try to start it in my cold garage in the morning, it immediately trips the breaker and continues to do so until the air in the garage warms up significantly. I have replaced the switch, the power cord, the heavy duty extension cord, had the bearings packed, etc. Still does the same thing. I have discovered through trial and error that if I use a hair dryer blower on the motor to warm it up in the morning it works fine. I was wondering if it was possibly the capacitor that is causing the problem. You can probably tell that I am not an electrician, I'm a woodworker. The specs. on the motor are as follows: Brand-Rexon; Mod.-RM-323; Volt. 115/230; Amp.-12/6A; RPM-3450; Class A; 60 hz. The specs on the capacitor are: Motor Starting Capacitor; Cap 400 MFD; WV 125 VAC; Type 129. Would appreciate any help that you can provide me. Thanks in advance.

Re: Capacitor on 1 1/2 hp motor of table saw

Same deal with the drive belt off? This will further isolate it to a motor only problem. Where do you aim the hair dryer, into the motor of just heat the capacitor? If you changed the bearing did you make cure the centrifugal switch on the motor shaft for the capacitor functions correctly? Caps are cheap to replace, pick one up at any motor repair shop. My bet is the cap or the centrifugal switch

Comment

We had a member have a similiar issue in early dec of 2006. Below you will find my post on how to test a capacitor.

Here try this, it is relatively easy; first, make sure the motor is unplugged in fact it is usually best if you pull the start cap to perform this test.

First discharge capacitor paper clip or screwdriver accross the probes. To check capacitor, set volt-ohm meter to RX 100 scale and touch its probes to capacitor terminals. If capacitor is OK, needle will jump to zero ohms, and drift back to high. Steady zero ohms indicates a short circuit; steady high ohms indicates an open circuit.

This method will help you determine whether the cap is dead; however, it is usually not very useful at determining whether it is weak or not. An alternate method is used to determine the latter. Good luck let me know if this helps.

tgomez

Comment

Somehow there are 2 threads with this same question. Maybe all of you can copy & paste over on the other one.

Comment

Working...
        X