looking for a good clamp-on meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a good clamp-on meter

I am new to industry and looking for what Fluke model would be good for residential new construction.

Re: looking for a good clamp-on meter

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke++T5.htm

Comment

In the Fluke line I would look at the 322 (basic model) and the 334A which for not many more $$$ is a nice upgrade. Actually I would look at the 334 first. The whole of the 330 series are pretty nice, but some models either don't have near enough features or are overkill like the 337 which I would look at only if $ isn't a factor. The 321 is just too basic and will leave you wanting for more. The price difference for the 322 is not much more than the 321. The 334 has several nice additional features such as a back light for use in darker areas and and also can measure inrush which is great for measuring motor starting current. I really feel that you'll find the "T" series is just too basic for many of your needs.

To put it simple, look at and price the model 334A and only if it seems a bit high in price, then look at the 322. Good luck with this. You might look at what Amprobe has too. Their old trusty RS series has been a workhorse for many years. When it comes to their new fancy digitals, I would pass them over and go with Fluke.

Note: Some dealers now have the new 334A which replaces the 334. If your dealer has the 334 you might try asking for a special price. I can't find any good info so far telling the difference.
      Last edited by Woussko; 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM.

Comment

If you are looking to add the ability to measure higher current with a clamp to a decent meter this is an excellent fluke accessory

Comment

WB

They are nice if you already have a good DMM. Fluke has several others in that line well worth looking at too.

While I'm at this, I'll post some links to other brands that may be worth looking at. To me Amprobe and Fluke have pretty much gone to the lead, but there are others well worth looking into as well.

http://www.triplett.com/ (You'll need to prowl around this site) I like their model 9320-A in that it's not that costly and can read AC and DC Voltage and Current up to 1000 Amps making it very handy for automotive work besides general electrical testing. It has some other nice features too. Triplett is a USA based old timer of test instruments and panel meters. If you have high speed internet service, I recommend you right click and download their catalogs.

I'll try to do more searching and may post more links soon. There are many companies with many models. Picking the exact one takes some research. One good thing is that if you were to bust open your piggy bank and buy a pretty good advanced clamp-on meter from a well known brand, more than likely you'll grow into it rather than out of it. Be sure you deal with a good dealer too. And finally, if you never heard of a given brand it might be wise to stay away. There are some copies of the major brands made by XXX over in nowhere land. Trying to get service on them is a forget it mess.

Comment

Here is more info on the Fluke 330 series. Please look over carefully. This line is what many good electrical distributors sell and it seems to be pretty much the new industry standard for electricians. For what it's worth, Fluke now owns Amprobe and several others too. They are becoming the real powerhouse, not like they already weren't.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/sp...(FlukeProducts)

Comment

I have to second Newman on this. I am an industrial electritian and the Fluke T-5 1000 is the best and easiest to use meter I have ever owned. I have been using the T-5 for about 8 years now without ever having a problem. There are 2 models, the 600 measures up to 600 volts and 60 amps which would work great for residential work. I use the 1000, which measures 1,000 volts and 100 amps. These meters run in the $100-$125 range. After using mine for 2 years, we got them for all our techs, everyone likes them over any other meter they have used.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

If CASH50 is OK with the 100 Amp. current limit (Anymore YUPPIE homes have 400 Amp or greater service) the T5 series sure would be handy. If you need to measure higher than please see the 330 series as some models can measure up to 999.9 Amps.

I fully agree with PapaDan that if it does everything someone needs, the T5 series would be the way to go.

Comment

If $$$ is no object, I'd get the 337...
                  I wish the t5 would measure DC amps so I could use it for automotive apps as well, but can't have it all...

Comment

Newman

I got my eyes open to the 337A myself for that very reason. What a nice tool to check starter current draw. A friend that works at a large automotive, truck and industrial battery dealer has a 337 and really likes it. The 337A is a new version. I'm not sure what changes were made.

For a little less $ the 336 (may be 336A now) might be worth looking at. It will messure AC-DC current up to 600.0 Amps and the 337A up to 999.9.

This place seems (in a quick check of several online dealers) to have pretty good prices on Fluke. I bet someone can fine even better. http://www.tequipment.net/FlukePriceList.asp

Note: Regarding the 330 series, be sure there's an A after the number. The ones without the A are older versions and may not have all the features or safety updates.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah,
                      I've needed to check starters before and it would have been nice to have a current clamp.
                      I've got a fluke 88 automotive meter and all the misc clamps and accessories, but no DC clamp that can measure high amps!
                      Perhaps now I have an excuse for purchasing a 336 or 337 soon...
                      Yeah I too wonder what the 337"A" has over the 337?

Comment

I'll buy the 337A before one of these, but here is an AC-DC current clamp-on for use with many DMMs that you might want to check out.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Ac...(FlukeProducts)

And here is a high end multi function clamp-on meter that can read up to 2000 Amps AC or DC and has large size jaws. This would be great for checking starter current draw of large stationary engines. I'm sure the $$$ runs pretty high for one of these.
                        http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/LH...(FlukeProducts)
                        Last edited by Woussko; 02-25-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Fluke 330 series update. The "A" suffex only has to do with their changing to a different factory location to make this series. I checked it with tech support. They said that otherwise they are very very close if not the same.

Comment

I wonder how good the Amprobe line is? They seem to have decent specs and features.
                            I've always gone with with Fluke, but I was turned off about the new made in China and Thailand crap they're putting their name on...
                            Last edited by Newman; 03-01-2007, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Fluke bought up Amprobe. Anymore almost everything is coming out of China or ROC. I guess we just have to get used to it. Some Fluke high end lab instruments are still USA built, but not the more everyday stuff. The older Amprobe was fine in most cases. Their "RS" series is what really sold for many years, especially the non-digital series.

Comment

Working...
                              X