Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: toning down electric smoker

ROFLMAO!!! I thought that might be it!
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Now back to business

I'm going to try my idea of the extension cord. I have a 1200 Watt electric heater and I also have a 100 foot #16-3 extension cord. I'm going to measure Voltage at the connector end with and without the heater on. The idea is that if there's enough Voltage drop this may be a very simple and low cost fix. When in use the extension cord must not be coiled, but rather run around the yard and out of the way. It could be zig-zag run as well. Yes, it will get pretty warm, but unless it's one of the really crappy ones it will carry the load.

The hot resistance of the smoker heater is 10.0 Ohms if it really is 1200 Watts at 120 Volts.

Give me a day or so and I'll post the results of the above test. --- See what my occupation is in the morning. I bet that Josh doesn't like this one very much.
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I tried that on my cookout last week. I used a 100 foot cord. All it did was get really hot at the plugin! LOL Temp stayed the same inside and the coil still glowed red. Didn't have the guts to leave it that way.
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I'm glad you did pull the plug fast. You would have a burned up receptacle to change too if you just left it. Most likely you should replace the plug on the extension cord, or if that's too much $$$ and PITA then use some very fine sand paper and clean the pins up nice and shiny clean.

Now be good and start putting money into the cookie jar. In time you'll be able to buy the variable transformer like in the picture in the earlier post by this old howling hound here.

Update: Change the 12,000,000 to 15,000,000 as they keep coming and coming and coming.
          Last edited by Woussko; 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM.

Comment

try a thermostat out of an old oven, or get one from a appliance dealer, and then set the temperature for what you want.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm starting to think that the smoker may have the wrong heating element(s) in it. My bet is that if the Voltage at the input to the smoker was around 87 Volts that might work. Now the heater will draw around 600 Watts and while still good and hot won't be orange hot.

This got to me thinking about the old American Beauty and Hexacon (both still made) larger (over 100 Watts) soldering irons that heat up to around 1000F at full Voltage, but when at idle you only want them around 600F max. The answer was to have a heavy diode connected in series. A switch on the simple controller was used to short out the diode when you were ready to solder and then to open up and let the diode be in series with the heating element of the soldering iron when you set it in the base.

Now I have to go find more info but my bet is that they have something ready made that will work fine and not all that much $$$.

Come on TWM start putting some $$$ in the cookie jar. You know as well as I do that you would love to have a nice beefy Variac. Think of all the cool things you can do with it besides the smoker.
              Last edited by Woussko; 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

You could always buy a cheap single burner hot plate from Wal-Mart and see if you can scavenge parts from it to use on your smoker.
                Or you could buy a Big Green Egg. I've got one and I love it. Very easy to control the temperature.
                When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

TWM

How many heating elements are there in your food smoker? If there are 2 just connect them in series and that might be all you need to do. That is if they are not in series now.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

Do you have a portable electric heater rated at 1500 Watts? This can't be some POC from the dump either. It must be in good working condition. If yes, and you are willing to do some simple electrical work or better yet know someone that's an electrician type, I can e-mail you a few drawings of how to rig up a "wild way" connected duplex receptacle so you can connect it (heater) in series with your smoker. I bet it would work just as you like. The problem I have with this is that you must never, ever use it for other stuff. If anyone might, then you MUST smash it to bits with a big hammer before they do.

You'll need a surface (handy) box, proper cover, the receptacle modified a little and a 14-3 power cord. All of this can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowes.

You will need to see and understand how this is done. NO It won't go KaBoom unless you use it where you shouldn't do so. Everything has to be done right and no buying cheap junk. The total cost without the electric heater will be under $20 and it shouldn't take that long to make up. I will need a way to e-mail pictures.

This is NOT something I'm willing to post on here as someone will mess up and have a dangerous device. If made correctly it works just fine.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-10-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

This thread really needs to come to an ending soon. Sometimes trying to save a few $$$ only gets us in trouble. Sometimes one person's working idea can help another and sometimes it's best to keep the old howler quiet. I think maybe I need to go into "The Woussko Hut" and not come out for a week or longer. I'm not mad at anyone but myself.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X