X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not exactly an electrical problem, question for field electricians

looking at my/your job we seem to do more framing than electrical work. I will be getting a good tax return this year and am debating on getting a paslode to help with the framing. the unit costs about $500-$600 and the supplies are fairly cheap. I get to claim it on income tax since I still am an apprentice, dropping the price down a little.

Re: not exactly an electrical problem, question for field electricians

I have owned the paslode impulse framing gun. Is this what you are refering to.

Comment

I've got a couple Paslodes and they work great for small to medium sized jobs. I guess you are referring to the Paslode 900420 IMCT Impulse - $500-$600???

it's $335...

http://www.amazon.com/Paslode-900420.../dp/B0000225HU

Comment

Yup thats it,

Second batt. really helped.The cylinder cycle time was a little slow for me so when the mother board terminals were damaged from me jamming a replacement battery in I decided to go ridgid 6.2sfpm comp.,hitachi gun(pawn) and 1/4 poly hose.
        Gas cylinders surprised me, they last a long time.

I loved it for pick-up framing,I can see how you might like it.Head out for cans, panels, stacking studs for boxes blocking for fans etc. etc. etc.
        Last edited by drtyhands; 03-03-2007, 12:24 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Yup thats it,

Second batt. really helped.The cylinder cycle time was a little slow for me so when the mother board terminals were damaged from me jamming a replacement battery in I decided to go ridgid 6.2sfpm comp.,hitachi gun(pawn) and 1/4 poly hose.
          Gas cylinders surprised me, they last a long time.

I loved it for pick-up framing,I can see how you might like it.Head out for cans, panels, stacking studs for boxes blocking for fans etc. etc. etc.
          the main reason I want it. For example we have 35 pot lights that we need to frame out 2 2x4 each 35x2=70 4 nails each 280 nails to hammer in.

oh and the ceilings are 20 feet high.

Comment

really a hammer is a remarkable piece of equipment, once one learns to use it. and learns how to nail, nailing is not that hard.

try putting on a roof some time, or nailing down a deck, or just in general framing up a house, (with a hammer) 300 nails are really not that many,

If you want to spend the money go for it, but by the time you mess with all the pieces and the nailer, my guess is you won't save that much time,

another Idea is just to use your screw gun and run screws instead of nails, I prefer square drive or torks drive, screws, for longer Deck type screws, (if you screw up, it is easy to move, or fix).
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

But you won't look as cool

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                really a hammer is a remarkable piece of equipment, once one learns to use it. and learns how to nail, nailing is not that hard.

Very true.

try putting on a roof some time, or nailing down a deck, or just in general framing up a house, (with a hammer) 300 nails are really not that many,
                True again.

If you want to spend the money go for it, but by the time you mess with all the pieces and the nailer, my guess is you won't save that much time,

I beg to differ - It's a very simple setup and it saves me a lot of time over hand nailing. Try holding a 2x overhead and hand nailing it...

another Idea is just to use your screw gun and run screws instead of nails, I prefer square drive or torks drive, screws, for longer Deck type screws, (if you screw up, it is easy to move, or fix).

Again, try screwing something (other than the old lady) overhead or in an awkward position, it's hard to hold the material, load a screw, and so forth...
                Last edited by Newman; 03-03-2007, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by BHD
                  another Idea is just to use your screw gun and run screws instead of nails, I prefer square drive or torxs drive, screws, for longer Deck type screws, (if you screw up, it is easy to move, or fix).
                  Quote: Newman
                  Again, try screwing something ... overhead or in an awkward position, it's hard to hold the material, load a screw, and so forth...

with the proper screws, and a quality driver, Like I suggested the Robertson(square drive) or torxs head drive screws it is fairly easy, as the screw stays in the bit, I prefer the square drive,

as far as nailing over head with a hammer is you start the nail before you put the board up to nail, and once the board is ready ONE hit with the hammer and the nail is holding the block, and if your having problems with a screw gun you can start the screw and then you don't have to hold it all you have to do is finish driving it once the board is lined up, you can pre start and get all the screws ready, and then put the board in place and finish driving,

I have used nailers and screw guns, and hammers, and if one uses the proper techniques each have there uses and advantages, I have done construction work for the past 35+ years, and have done my share of over head work. I have owned nailers since the early 70's.

since the person (guessing a young person),
                  I still am an apprentice
                  may find some other suggestions helpful to give a bigger picture of the possibilities, and possibly, some ways to do the some thing cheaper, and nearly as fast, and since he is an apprentice, my guess is he won't be getting any bonus to provide a $300+ dollar tool to the job site, If he wants the tool that is great that is up to him.

One other thing, I have seen a number of injures with the use of nailers when nailing blocking, as it is not that hard to bump or bounce the nose trigger before the nailer is in position, or I have had the wood split and shoot the nail in to a persons hand even tho the hand was over 12" away from the nailer.

If I would not have thought it a worth wile suggestion, I would not have wasted my time typing it,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i am a residential electrician and i bought a framing paslode nailer and it has came in very handy i would be lost without it i would suggest to any electrician to buy one they are great plus check out ebay you can get one there at a good deal you will not regret buying it

Comment

I have decided not to get one at this moment. the 35 pot light have now changed into 89 and growing.

Comment

Working...
                      X