X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 30 Amps from 15?

Fairly common problem with my RV. Staying at a friends house that is only wired with 15 amp outlets. I need over 15 amps to run my AC. Can I wire up a box that I can plug into two seperate 15 amp circuits as input and take a 30 amp outlet to my RV?

Re: How to get 30 Amps from 15?

multiply by 2 15 x 2 = 30

not a safe way by tapping off of 2 different circuits. but if you did try, you better make sure that they are on the same pole/ phase/ leg of the panel.

a better temporary fix would be to install a 30 amp breaker in the panel and pigtail off of that for the short period you'll be there. if you planon visiting for any real period of time, then run a dedicated line to the area for future ease and safety.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

2=15 amp circuits will not give you a 30 amp circuit, it will give you2 15 amp breakers for the air conditioner to trip. Your camper does not have a generator?
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

If your willing to wire up a box just wire in a 30 amp outlet next to the panel with it's own breaker and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          multiply by 2 15 x 2 = 30

not a safe way by tapping off of 2 different circuits. but if you did try, you better make sure that they are on the same pole/ phase/ leg of the panel.

a better temporary fix would be to install a 30 amp breaker in the panel and pigtail off of that for the short period you'll be there. if you planon visiting for any real period of time, then run a dedicated line to the area for future ease and safety.

rick.
          you still have only one 15 amp curcuit. As soon as either one of those breakers sees 15 amps it will trip.

Comment

You will need to find someone that knows basic electrical work or hire an electrician.

Needs:
            1) 4" square surface box 2-1/8 deep

1) 4" square surface cover 11422 RS13 (Has 2.15 dia hole and is the same as for an older dryer/range)

1) Leviton 7313 (TT-30R) Receptacle (special only for RV use rated 30 Amp. 125 Volts)

1 as needed) Levition 830-T (TT-30P) Angle Plug (special only for RV use rated 30 Amp. 125 Volts)

1) 30 Amp. single pole breaker to match load center (breaker panel)

Connecting wire needs to be #10 copper and what's needed will depend on location and mounting. Either 10-2 with ground Romex or 3 pieces of color coded THHN.

You can obtain special 10-3 extension cords with RV style plug and female connector. Normally Walmart has them near camping supplies or you can check with an electrical supply place. Comeman Cable #09550 (25 foot) or 09555 (50 foot) extension cords come with the special 30 Amp plug and connector for RV use.

I must warn that this doesn't come cheap. PapaDan has a good idea about using the built-in generator if your RV has one, unless you want to do a long term or frequent use connection to the home power system.

Please do NOT half *** rig up something. You'll end up in trouble.
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-10-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.....more info
              1)travel trailer has no on board generator. 2500kw generator I carry is to small for AC. Wouldn't want to run it continuously if I did purchase larger model due to noise and expense,
              2)Desire for parallel hook up to combine amperage is needed at many RV parks as well as private dwellings as many only have 15amp hook ups.
              3)Question was predicated on kit Honda sells to combine output from two 2000 watt generators to produce a 30amp circuit. See below:
              ..........EU2000i Parallel Cable Kit: links 2 EU2000is
              for a maximum 30A from the 30A125V NEMA TT
              30R RV receptacle. (Gen Tran )
              Note: RV ready. UPC# 7 64260 73130
              My assumption was that if Honda could offer a $100 box that combines amperage from two generators maybe a box could be built that combines current from two seperate 15 amp household circuits.
              Last edited by roadrashray; 03-11-2007, 11:21 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

It might work BUT

household 115 circuits are created by splitting 220V in half, with one leg run to ground. Some of the receptacles in the house are on one leg, the rest on the other. If you plug into two receptacles that are on alternate legs, you will have created a direct short (read that BANG and OUCH).

It would be illegal to wire this up this way. Anything connected to the grid must be UL approved and your "box" would not meet that requirement.

It works for Honda because A) they are not connected to the grid B) alternate legs are not a possibility C) they probably include some circuitry to keep power from feeding back into a disconnected plug (which would be a serious danger).

So, don't do it. I'm a licensed electrician. I would not make such a "box" for my own use. It's got to much potential for danger. I'd do the 30A circuit thing described earlier as would the other electricians here.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
                  Just so everyone That I'm not as foolish as my request sounds(in this case anyway)
                  I understand completely that the 30amp breaker cut into the box is the way to go. My problem is I am a full time RVr and it is impractical and in many cases impossible to mess with somebody elses electrical system, especially in an RV park. It looks to me like the fix I can use to take on the road is to run a separate lead from my air conditioner which will bring that load below 15amps.

Comment

Road

You have a good idea splitting up your load. The AC could be on its own circuit and the rest of the RV on another. Be sure at the camping grounds that there are 2 circuits. You would want to be sure the AC is totally seporated (electrically) from everything including your RV. If you can do so, use a heavy duty extension cord #12 or #10 for just the AC. You may need to have it rigged up with a short power cord and plug if it's currently hard wired. If you end up having to run the extension cord through a window your might use a towel to protect the cord and also keep hot air and bugs out of the RV. Better yet, would be to have your RV setup with (2) power inlets. One would be just the AC and the other would be everything else. At home you could connect up to 2 different circuits. Be sure to totally isolate the AC from the rest of the electrical system when doing this. You don't want to end up with L1 and L2 issues. This is where you will want a good electrician's help.

Comment

HONDA Generator Paralleling Kits

Please note that Honda dealers have warning notices never to use any kit for such other than a genuine Honda product. The generator(s) that these special kits can be used with are inverter models and not the older style electromagnetic type. Both the inverter and the kits have load sensing & anti backfeeding circuits. While there kits made by other companies, Honda warns "DO NOT USE THEM". Many are dangerous. Also, they are not to be used with any portable generator other than the listed model(s).

Comment

Working...
                      X