What Is The Answer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Is The Answer?

Well, I just assumed it was a common 240 residential service...

Comment

I don't think he's coming back, it looks like he stumped all of us, and left. lol...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

testing testing

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
          testing testing

What is it that you're testing?

Comment

-
            Robert Wilber
            Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
            Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
            Obviously posted by a civilian ..
            Obviously intended to be a 120/240 service as found in homes.
            Since loads are identical, the open neutral would not impact the appearance of the lamps, as the same current would flow through both with an equal voltage drop across each of the now series-connected lamps.
            A much more interesting question would be "what would be the resulting effect if there were FOUR, or TEN, 100 watt lamps on leg [obviously not phase] A and ONE 100 watt lamp on leg B?"
            [Clue: this is why TVs burn up when you lose your neutral!]
            http://wilberelectrical.blogspot.com/
            Licensed Philadelphia electrician
            Philadelphia emergency lighting certification

Comment

On a Single Phase 120/240 service, the 2 "legs" are commonly referred to as phase "A" and phase "B" as well as Leg "A" and Leg"B". Generally I hear the term "phase" more often, though it may be a misnomer. Lou

Comment

Robert's circuit is an interesting and wild one. That's why it's super important to have good electrical connections. When a neutral becomes disconnected some very wild and nasty things can sure happen. I have to get working on drawing up a few circuits and scan them. I'll post a few pictures and see how many of you have your thinking caps on. One of them will get everyone laughing once you figure it out.

Comment

no electrician has looked at this yet im guessing. if you remove neutral lights go off no matter what
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                    no electrician has looked at this yet im guessing. if you remove neutral lights go off no matter what
                    Hope by your screen name that you are a plumber and not an electrician.

Have a closer look, think of the two lights as as one across a 240V source
                    Last edited by wbrooks; 03-28-2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

PROPLUMB....keep to your plumbing. The right answer was given already with explaination. Cut the wire and nothing happens the lights stay the way they were.

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
                        PROPLUMB....keep to your plumbing. The right answer was given already with explaination. Cut the wire and nothing happens the lights stay the way they were.
                        ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by fkaufman View Post
                          Since the voltage between Phase A and Neutral and Phase B and Neutral are the same, the voltage between phase A and Phacse B is double of what it would be between each of the Phases and Neutral.

As the bulbs are identical (both 100W), when Neutral gets disconnected they become connected serially between the two phases.

Therefore the bulbs will be burning with the exact same intensity as when Neutral was connected, so none of the above is the correct answer.

Looks like mot got it right as in no difference.It looks pretty plain to me that it is a 120/240 volt single phase system.But if one bulb burns out it will turn the other off also.

Comment

Nothing happens.

shup

Comment

It's a no brainer, wbrooks is correct, answer is E.

Comment

I'm new to this forum so I thought I would also add to this...I've not gone through all the responses - just a few.

I'm not an electrician but I wonder why the Phase A and Phase B are named as such. Without knowing the phase relationship between A and B you cannot answer this question - so from that point of view E would be the answer since it says none of the above.

Assuming phase A and Phase B are 120V, 180 degree out of phase then I agree that cutting neutral will not affect the result - both bulbs will continue to burn since the return current will always choose the path of the lower potential which is the leg 180 out of phase.

I saw someone had posted that if one bulb burns out the other will not light. I cannot see that myself - if that happens the return current will travel via the neutral line and the other bulb should stay lit.

Comment

Working...
                                X